[comp.sys.amiga] A2000 problems

dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (10/08/87)

I traded my 1000 for a 2000 yesterday (make that an A2000, not a B2000).

A few problems. First I notice that the df0: drive's led doesn't light. No
big deal. I also notice that when I power it off the time changes. Isn't
it supposed to have battery backup or am I misreading something?

One more dumb question, is there any way to make it think my external 3" drive
is df1: instead of df2:?

Finally, I'm in the market for a hard disk. The question is, do I want
faster i/o rates and go with the scsi amiga-side card, or to go with the
bridge card? I actually would like a bridge card and stick a v20 in it....
and if the i/o rate isn't significantly slowed I'd like to go this route.
Comments?

Also, any comments from the folks with Kodak 10 meg drives?

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!dave    {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd1@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133   \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: 3200 N Cramer #E380, Milw WI 53211

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (10/12/87)

In article <3106@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>I traded my 1000 for a 2000 yesterday (make that an A2000, not a B2000).
>
>A few problems. First I notice that the df0: drive's led doesn't light. No
>big deal. I also notice that when I power it off the time changes. Isn't
>it supposed to have battery backup or am I misreading something?

  Are you using the "SetClock" command? The "Date" command only changes the
  date/time in memory where the "SetClock" command changes the date/time on
  the battery clock/calander.

>One more dumb question, is there any way to make it think my external 3" drive
>is df1: instead of df2:?

  Try using "AssignDev" (Fish #79) to assign DF1: to DF2:. This does not make
  your external 1010 really become DF1: but it does allow you to call it DF1:
  and still call it DF2: at the same time.

--
   Dan Schein			 	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore Business Machines		or: {allegra|burdvax}!cbmvax!schein

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/12/87)

in article <3106@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) says:

> I traded my 1000 for a 2000 yesterday (make that an A2000, not a B2000).

Where'd you get that?  They aren't sold in the US, at least legally.  Note
that "B2000" is just an internal name; they're both really A2000s and will
all say A2000 on the front.  Its easy to see which you have; a German A2000
("A2000") will have 2 phono jacks on the back, the West Chester A2000
("B2000") will have 3 phono jacks on the back (the extra one is a composite
monochrome video output).

> A few problems. First I notice that the df0: drive's led doesn't light. No
> big deal.

It probably does, but it's EXTREMELY dim.  Try it in a dark room.

> I also notice that when I power it off the time changes. Isn't
> it supposed to have battery backup or am I misreading something?

It does have a clock with battery backup, but you've got to set and read
that clock.  There's a program called SetClock on the A2000 workbench disk.
You set the time and date with Preferences or Date, then you run

	SetClock opt save

which will save the system time in the clock.  To get it back, use the

	SetClock opt load

command (startup-sequence is a good place for this), which will read the
clock time into the system clock.

> One more dumb question, is there any way to make it think my external 3" drive
> is df1: instead of df2:?

I'd suggest AssignDev, from one of the Fish Disks.  Assign won't work, as it
creates Volume entries that correspond to logical drives, but AssignDev
creates a Device entry that corresponds to a physical drive.

> Finally, I'm in the market for a hard disk. The question is, do I want
> faster i/o rates and go with the scsi amiga-side card, or to go with the
> bridge card? I actually would like a bridge card and stick a v20 in it....
> and if the i/o rate isn't significantly slowed I'd like to go this route.
> Comments?

Currently, the PC side drive through the bridge card is only a little slower
than the Amiga side ST-506 card.  But the A2090 card is DMA driven and has the
potential to go much faster if system software speed is ever improved, while
the Bridge card solution is not DMA driven and may be very near its maximum
speed.  If you really need the IBM compatibility, you could go that route to
begin with, since you'd want a HD for the IBM side anyway, and then later add
an A2090 or other hard drive on the Amiga side.

> Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

chasgren@pnet02.cts.com (Charlie Greene) (01/08/88)

I'm having a little problem with my 2000 that i was wondering if anybody had
any ideas about. I'll bring it back to my dealer if i have too but it is a
little drive that i don't want to make if i don't have to.
 Sometimes when iturn on the amiga (with the workbench disk already in df0:)
 i get a read-write error, use diskdoctor message. The disk continues to
bootup though and when it finishes it works fine except for one thing. I use a
high-res,overscan screen but when this problem occures, i am back to the
default screen, med-res,no overscan.If i do a warm boot i have my hi-res
overscan screen back again. The disk is isn't damaged by this although it
might be because i almost always have it write protected. This is a minor
inconvenience but i thought if it is a fortaste of something serious i should
get it fixed.
  One other problem. A few days after i bought my 2000 i turned it on, the
power supply came on, the power light lit, but nothing else. There was no
drive access. The workbench didn't boot, nuthin happened. I turned it off.
Tried it again a few times and still nothing. I disconected the machine and
hookedup my old 1000 and called aroud to a few local boards to see if anyone
knew what was wrong. Later that night i hooked the 2000 back up for the heck
of it and when i turned it on it worked fine. I've had my a2000 for over 1 1/2
months and i haven't had this happen again. Any ideas what this was?
        Thanks for the help and see ya'll at AmiExpo!

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!chasgren
INET: chasgren@pnet02.cts.com