[comp.sys.amiga] shell redirection version 2.06m

billh@tekig4.TEK.COM (William Hansen) (01/01/88)

I have been trying to get the dir command in version 2.06m of Matt's shell
to talk to my printer so that I can have hard copies of my directory lists.

I type:

		dir > prt:

and I get "redirection error".

the shell also tries to access df2:, (regardless of where the directory
actually is, and gripes if there is no disk.)

I have an A2000 with 3-1/2 inch drives df0: and df2: I also have a 5-1/4
inch drive df3: and an extra 1/2 meg of ram (1-1/2M total), hope this helps.

Has anyone else had problems with redirection from the shell?

					Bill Hansen
					billh@teklim.LIM.TEK.COM

stroyan@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (01/02/88)

>I type:
>
>		dir > prt:
>
>and I get "redirection error".

The shell doesn't allow space after >.

		dir >prt:

should work.  I sure would like to see spaces allowed there in
a version 2.08.

Mike Stroyan, [hplabs!]hpfcla!stroyan

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (01/02/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on linus (berkeley-unix)

In article <2310@tekig4.TEK.COM> billh@tekig4.TEK.COM (William Hansen) writes:

> I have been trying to get the dir command in version 2.06m of Matt's shell
> to talk to my printer so that I can have hard copies of my directory lists.
>
> I type:
> 		dir > prt:
>
> and I get "redirection error".

Just leave out the space between the ">" and the "prt:".  That is, type:
		dir >prt:

This syntax is documented in the documentation file that comes with
the shell.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (01/03/88)

In article <2310@tekig4.TEK.COM>, billh@tekig4.TEK.COM (William Hansen) writes:
> I type:
> 		dir > prt:
> and I get "redirection error".

	Well, I had this problem too in the early beginning, and thought
this can't be possible. I read the doc and found out that you should not
put a space between redirection symbol > and file (or device) name.
	Therefore, the correct command would be (I think)
	dir >prt:
Hope it works !
--

*- Francois Rouaix                 //       When the going gets tough,       *
*- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           the guru goes meditating...   *

billh@tekig4.TEK.COM (William Hansen) (01/09/88)

Thanks to all of you for your help, cat file >prt: does do the trick.

						Bill Hansen