[comp.sys.amiga] Digi-View

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (01/08/88)

Would anyone happen to have a description of the format digiview saves
it's pictures in?  I'd like to make three primary color scans, each at
the 32 level setting, then combine them into an image on a color workstation
display using ALL of the information (15bits, 5 per color).

If anyone happens to have a Unix program that can read and make sense
of a digiview file it would be very helpful.

Also, has anyone tried to get a Digiview to work on non-Amiga computers?
I suspect it would not be that hard if the computer happened to have a
PC compatable parallel port or something like it.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6 PM eastern)
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

rusty@vertigo.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (01/09/88)

In article <607@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
    >Would anyone happen to have a description of the format digiview saves
    >it's pictures in?  I'd like to make three primary color scans, each at
    >the 32 level setting, then combine them into an image on a color workstn
    >display using ALL of the information (15bits, 5 per color).

If you have version 2.0 then pages 20-21 will tell you what you need
to know.  Don't have version 2.0???  GET IT!!!  YOU'LL WANT IT!!!
I think upgrading used to cost $10 - call NewTek to be sure.

With it you can make the three primary color scans and save EACH
at 7-bits per pixel per color.  Yes, Digi-View internally stores
the digitized image at 7-bits per color in RGB mode and converts
this to the given display mode depth (number of colors).

Now, once you've saved off your 21-bit image you can upload it to
your favorite color workstation, filter it with a simple [pick your
language] program to get the right # of bit planes, and display it.
A friend and I used to do this at SMU with my Digi-View and the
university's graphics equipment.

If you have Version 2.0 then the file formats are described in the
back of the manual.

    >If anyone happens to have a Unix program that can read and make sense
    >of a digiview file it would be very helpful.

If you can't write one from the manual let me know and I'll see about
getting a copy of what we used at SMU.

Chuck McManis(sp?) at Sun wrote an article for BYTE a while backa
about simple image processing on the Amiga.   Check it out!!

    >Also, has anyone tried to get a Digiview to work on non-Amiga computers?
    >I suspect it would not be that hard if the computer happened to have a
    >PC compatable parallel port or something like it.

T'would be a bit more difficult than that.   You've got timing and
other cruft to figure out as well.  You need to be able to READ from
a parallel port.... that is usually used for WRITING.  It would help
if the circuit in that little white sealed box was available....

I digress.... Time to get out in to that blizzard going on out there!!!

--
Rusty Haddock {{uunet!likewise!}cbosgd,rutgers!moss}!vertigo!rusty
AT&T-IS Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (01/09/88)

In article <607@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>Would anyone happen to have a description of the format digiview saves
>it's pictures in?  I'd like to make three primary color scans, each at
>the 32 level setting, then combine them into an image on a color workstation
>display using ALL of the information (15bits, 5 per color).

Once you have digitized an image, press the F2 key and digiview will save
the image in a "dump file", 3 bytes per pixel (one each for RGB), 7
significant bits per byte (LSB undefined).  It dumps the entire red
plane, then the green plane, and then the blue plane.  There are an
additional three 32-bit words tacked on to the end of the file that
you can ignore.

>Also, has anyone tried to get a Digiview to work on non-Amiga computers?
>I suspect it would not be that hard if the computer happened to have a
>PC compatable parallel port or something like it.

I have successfully created RGB dump on the Amiga, transfered them to
a Mac-II, and run some appropriate software magic on the Mac-II end
to turn them into displayable 256 color pics.  I did not write the Mac-II
software, but I worked closely with the author while it was developed
last year.  As far as actually running Digiview on a non-Amiga
computer, I don't know of anyone that has done this.  By the way,
my opinion, and the opinion of everyone that I have shown the pictures to,
is that the pictures on the Mac-II look better in 256 colors than the
same pictures on the Amiga in 4096 color HAM mode.  I can't wait to
see the same pictures on the Mac-II in 24-bit color...

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614
# Motorola Computer Division, 2900 S. Diablo Way, Tempe, Az 85282  USA