[comp.sys.amiga] I think I'm not making myself clear

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/09/88)

I think I'm being misunderstood here.  Allow my to explain after I reply
to the following:

In article <sVtGK7y00WAKdH80MF@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>> If what was described in "THE BOOT PROCESS" was all there was to it, then
>> warm booting with a secure disk would be safe.
>So, if you boot with a foreign disk, make sure you cold start the
>machine before you insert your normal boot material.

I don't *want* to coldstart my machine!!!!  I want to be able to warmstart
with a secure disk and know that nothing can clobber it.

>But don't blame the people at Commodore for making it "easy"
>to produce a virus.  As other members of the net have pointed out,
>there are other possible schemes for making an Amiga virus, and
>designing the system to be safe from every conceivable scheme is
>about equivalent to solving the halting problem (something I *don't*
>expect the Commodore engineers to do).

I'm not blaming Commodore for making it easy to produce virus programs.
I am blaming them for making it easy to produce a very specific type of
virus program, one that can survive a warm boot.

*attention people*

I am fully aware that there are a zillion ways to do a virus.  The *only*
type I have ever discussed, or am interested in discussing at this point
is the kind that survives a warm boot and corrupts secure disks.

This kind of virus can be prevented with modifications to kickstart, which
it looks like I may end up doing myself :-(.  If I think something funny
is going on, I want to warm boot with a secure disk and have a clean
machine.  That's all, and I don't think it's a lot to ask.

Sean

--
--  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitneT
--  (the Empire guy)         {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean