[comp.sys.amiga] Viruses and Stolen Software

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (01/05/88)

The issue of viruses has brought up the whole issue of stolen software.
Someone has claimed that you only get the virus if you steal software.
I hope that misapprehension has been laid to rest by the many stories
of people who have gotten hurt and who have NOT stolen software.
I guess i am thick but i still do not see how the virus mongering
protects against software theft. Are people shipping these viruses
in production software as a way of protecting themselves? If so then
the companies involved should be boycotted. If not then what
is the link?
   As a founding member of a nascent Town Watch organization I have a
thought or two about software theft on the Amiga. Crime exists
where i live because in many cases people refuse to get involved.
'Someone else'- the police, the politicians, other organizations-
are expected to solve the problem. Yet people continue to buy
hot lawn mowers; they are not willing to contribute time to
help fight crime; and so on. I see something similar happening
here. "commodore should do something"- but- people know of
pirate boards and do not report them. I think if we really care
about this machine and want to see it succeed we have to help, and
that includes shutting down the pirates any way we can.
Commodore can not do it, and neither can the [Insert your
favorite organization]. If we want this theft to
stop then WE have to do it. Starting now. Or, the Amiga
gets hurt.
   As for the virus-mongers i think the solution is maybe
simple. I for one am willing to put up $25 as part of
a reward fund. If we find the people doing this then we
lock them out of user's groups and other organizations
for a period of five years. And we refuse to give them
aid and comfort of any form. I would vote for
starting with SCA if possible. Generally criminals
(and that's what these are- vandals) are willing to
rat on each other for a little money. Maybe a reward
will bring them out of the woodwork.
   Sorry if this comes on a little strong. I am quite mad
about this whole situation.
--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) (01/05/88)

in article <927@louie.udel.EDU+, rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) says:
+
+ 'Someone else'- the police, the politicians, other organizations-
+ are expected to solve the problem. Yet people continue to buy
+ hot lawn mowers; they are not willing to contribute time to
+ help fight crime; and so on. I see something similar happening
+ here. "commodore should do something"- but- people know of
+ pirate boards and do not report them. I think if we really care
+ about this machine and want to see it succeed we have to help, and
+ that includes shutting down the pirates any way we can.
+ Commodore can not do it, and neither can the [Insert your
+ favorite organization]. If we want this theft to
+ stop then WE have to do it. Starting now. Or, the Amiga
+ gets hurt.
+ --
+ ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

It has been suggested that the Amiga might get a bad reputation because
of rampant software piracy.  Perhaps we could develop an _excellent_
reputation by being the computer community _most_ active in thwarting,
villifying, and making social outcasts of pirates and USERS of pirated
software.  Ron is right, merely saying to a sysop "There is some pirated
software on your board and I don't think that's a good idea." has very
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ?!?!?!?!?!
little if any effect.  As George Robbins mentioned, the problem is a
social problem.  It will not be solved by passing laws or devising new
copy protection schemes.  The ONLY long term solution is to make all
aspects of piracy unthinkable to any self-respecting person.  This
cannot be done by 'the other guy'.  Only if each of us takes it upon
himself to ostracize anyone who knowingly uses or distributes pirated
software can we ever hope to solve the problem.

Rick Pasotto
mcnc!unccvax!fwp

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/05/88)

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
>The issue of viruses has brought up the whole issue of stolen software.
>Someone has claimed that you only get the virus if you steal software.
>I hope that misapprehension has been laid to rest by the many stories
>of people who have gotten hurt and who have NOT stolen software.
>I guess i am thick but i still do not see how the virus mongering
>protects against software theft. Are people shipping these viruses
>in production software as a way of protecting themselves? If so then
>the companies involved should be boycotted. If not then what

          As far as I have been able to tell, no body has received commercial
        software with the virus on it.  This may be wrong, but no one has
        yet claimed to have received such.

          Since you must place an infected disk in your drive AND boot with
        it in order to infect your system, I cannot see how SO MANY people
        got it SO FAST, unless they were stealing software.  I think it is
        fair to say that more than 90% of the infections occured as a
        result of piracy.  If it were'nt for the other 10% or less, I would
        commend the virus and it's writer.  As it is, they deserve curses.

          As far as punishing virus writers, I agree, with the exception of
        SCA.  My reasons for excludeing them are as follows

                1)  The letter is an apology, and I for one beleive they
                      did not intend to create such a furor.

                2)  SCA did send C= info which should help them to deal with
                      the virus.

                3)  Clearly, had SCA wanted, their virus could have been alot
                      nastier and been made alot more infectious.

                4)  The virus problem would have cropped up eventually and
                      this virus has put us on our gaurd.

        As far as how they should be punished, criminal prosecution should be
        used when possible.  Perhaps a fund should be established by us users
        and the companies who have a stake in this machine, which would be
        used to find and prosecute these individuals.  Software pirates,
        especially BBSs should also be targets of this fund.  Just having to
        defend themselves from the legal system will be a strong penalty, even
        if they are not convicted!

                                                          Thanks,

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

kgschlueter@rose.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) (01/06/88)

I'm president of the UW Amiga Users Group, and have a lot of contact
with people using Amigas for the first time.  Many of these people did NOT
purchase a second disk drive (being students, they couldn't afford it).
Because they hate disk swapping, they often set up PD disks so that they
contain a few of the more common commands and are bootable -- hence they
get in the HABIT of booting PD disks.  Now, if these people were to
receive an infected PD disk somehow, they would no doubt spread the virus
to most of their Amiga owning friends within a few days -- without any
piracy ever having taken place.

I understand the frustration (and loss of profits) that piracy causes
software developers, but please remember that people are presumed
innocent until proven guilty.

Kevin Schlueter (president of UW Amiga Users Group)

jim@coplex.UUCP (Jim Sewell) (01/09/88)

In article <927@louie.udel.EDU>, rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
> ... Are people shipping these viruses
> in production software as a way of protecting themselves?

Uhm, does anyone remember early Model 3's from Tandy?  Particularly one version
of TRSDOS (I believe it was 6.x) which would keep an internal counter as to the
number of times you backed up a disk?  Software authors took advantage of this
to make sure you didn't make more than 3 copies of their disk and that none of
those disks was copyable.  Of course this didn't work for long 8-).  It is
conceivable for companies to threaten harm if you pirate their program, but it
is not likely that it is either legal or ethical.  I don't think we will ever
see this implemented, and hope we never have a need to do so!  Viruses are
simply the product of modern day arsonists.  "Isn't this neat, it can burn down
a whole house with just one match!"  What scares me is what will come next, when
we move out of our current technological plateau and into the next.  Is the next
verison of a virus going to be "Big Brother"?
Jim Sewell						"Make knowledge free!"
Disclaimer: "Copper Electronics doesn't even know who I am, much less agree
		with me!  [8-)] "