[comp.sys.amiga] Hardware/software mixes.

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (12/22/87)

 >Promises of an 80286 Janus, rumors of 386 cards (on PC 8 bit bus?),

Well, not really, the clone side has 2 ready-to-wear AT style slots, and 2
more that need only connectors to make them 16 bit slot.

 >As a final item for all of you to think on. Recall the various
 >attempts to mix various different hardwares and programming
 >systems in the same box, and their fate.

i don't know if you are referring to the 68000/Bridge combination or the
68000/68020 combination, so I'll mention both.

I'm not familiar with most of the examples given, but usually, the two
hardware/software environments are mutually exclusive, and will not run at
the same time. In the case of the 68000/Bridge combination we have a
situation where there are two full blown processors that do not share a
lot of resources, or at least are not required to share most resources. To
me, this means that one can indeed have the best of both worlds, and at
the same time, unlike most other attempts to marry vastly different
hardware.

The 68000/68020 is, (or at least is hinted at being), a mutually exclusive
environment, but the redeeming virtue here is that the Amiga's OS is
already capable of handling the two different hardware environments. I
would imagine there will be enhancements to the OS to make it even more
transparent.

This is not to ay I disagree with the feeling that perhaps the '020 should
go on board, but I do think that the 2000 is a good move, and that the
provision for a better chip is icing on the cake, allowing users to choose
between cost and performance without closing off any options, while
increasing the chances that the 2000 can be made more compatible with
future machines.

 >Can anyone offer a machine/system of this type that has become
 >even a modest success?

The C128.

 > ...  Rostyslaw Jarema Lewyckyj

Larry Phillips.

--
The transistor is a curiosity, and will never amount to much.
    -- Mr. Stringer, Basic Electronic Instructor, RCAF, 1962.

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (12/24/87)

In article <1644@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:
"> >" is quoted from some previous article ...
> >Can anyone offer a machine/system of this type that has become
> >even a modest success?
>
>The C128.

I agree with most of what Larry said.  The 2000 is an almost unique
version of this idea in that you can use both worlds ... it sounds
like an interesting combination ... but I'll make my final decision
about the bridge card when/if the 286 version comes out.

Another version of this idea which worked out is the Definicon
series for IBM PC-Clones.  Depending on exactly which one you get
you get a 68020 or NSC 32xxx board with memory.  There's an OS
of sorts which runs on the board.  I don't really know much about
'em since I've never used one ... but they've been in business
for a couple of years so must've established some sort of niche.

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

In article <1644@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:
>  >As a final item for all of you to think on. Recall the various
>  >attempts to mix various different hardwares and programming
>  >systems in the same box, and their fate.
>
>  >Can anyone offer a machine/system of this type that has become
>  >even a modest success?
>
> The C128.

Well, while the C128 is/was farily successful as a Commodore product, it
is not obvious that the availability of the Z80-CP/M subsystem had much
impact.  The machine also included an 80-column display capability, faster
6502 and a faster disk interface, not to mention being the only compatible
upgrade path available to the C64 user.  It's pretty definite that the C128
didn't create a major new market for consumer CP/M software.

At least in the case of the A2000, the IBM compatibility feature is only
a small incremental cost burden to the user who doesn't have any use for
it.  It also seems that PC compatibility is a more major and universal
issue that trailing edge CP/M compatibilty was.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) (01/03/88)

> >  >Can anyone offer a machine/system of this type that has become
> >  >even a modest success?
> >
> > The C128.
>
> Well, while the C128 is/was farily successful as a Commodore product, it
> is not obvious that the availability of the Z80-CP/M subsystem had much
> impact.  The machine also included an 80-column display capability, faster
 (Further description of C-128's attributes deleted)

 I think thats a very fair statement, George.  I know 8 or 10 C-128
owners; NONE of them use the CPM mode to any degree and most have never
even tried it. Like the PC bus in the 2000, I think it really just 'icing'
- both would be good machines without the feature, but it's a nice enough
feature to a small subset of the people who use the machine to make it
worth putting in to distinguish one's self from the competition if it can
be done at a reasonable price. I look at the PC bus in my 2000 as sort of
an 'if all else fails' sort of a solution - if through some incredible
abuse the Amiga software market should dry up, the PC bus is there as a
saftey net (albeit a rather hard and unyeilding one!!)

firebug@cup.portal.com (01/09/88)

In article <1344@sugar.UUCP> ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) writes:
>> Well, while the C128 is/was farily successful as a Commodore product, it
>> is not obvious that the availability of the Z80-CP/M subsystem had much
>> impact.  The machine also included an 80-column display capability, faster
> (Further description of C-128's attributes deleted)
>
> I think thats a very fair statement, George.  I know 8 or 10 C-128
>owners; NONE of them use the CPM mode to any degree and most have never
>even tried it. Like the PC bus in the 2000, I think it really just 'icing'
>- both would be good machines without the feature, but it's a nice enough
>feature to a small subset of the people who use the machine to make it
>worth putting in to distinguish one's self from the competition if it can
>be done at a reasonable price.

I can't help but agree too...When I had my C-128, I never seemed to get
around to using the CP/M side, except for trying out a bit of old CP/M
software I had laying around from a previous computer.  But it's a nice
little addition for those that like that sort of thing...I'm surprised
Jerry Pournelle didn't jump for it.  :-)

However, I think it would have been much better if CBM had dropped an 8088
into the thing, rather than a Z-80.  Just think, with an 8088 and a little
added circuitry to make the video look like the CGA, you would have had the
ability to run a fair amount of the IBM-PC software around (I imagine 80-90
percent compatibility would have been sufficient).  And since the 8088 is an
8-bit chip (pin-wise, that is), I can't imagine that it would be much more
difficult to interface, or cost much more to add, than the Z-80 is.  And there
is a hell of a lot more PD software out there for the IBM-PC than there is
for CP/M machines.

How about it, Commodore...a C-128/PC ?

| Lance T Franklin                                                ltf@killer |
|                                                                           |
|                            something clever.                              |
|                                                                           |

firebug@cup.portal.com (01/09/88)

ooops   last wuz supposed to include this from me....

how about an add-on chip???   nowing VERY little about the computer
circuitry   couldnt they just program a chip to handle whats necessary?
since I was led to believe the *old* 1571 could read ms/dos format disks

moi

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (01/09/88)

in article <2679@killer.UUCP>, ltf@killer.UUCP (Lance Franklin) says:
> However, I think it would have been much better if CBM had dropped an 8088
> into the thing, rather than a Z-80.

You have GOT to be kidding. Have you ever seen the PINOUTS of an 8088? The
address and data busses are multiplexed on top of one another... it would have
raised the chip count of the machine beyond its current ridiculous number to
do all of the clock generation, address latching, etc. required by an 8088.

--
Eric Lee Green  elg@usl.CSNET     Asimov Cocktail,n., A verbal bomb
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg              detonated by the mention of any