[comp.sys.amiga] ssyx.ucsc.edu Doesn't Exist On The Arpanet

denbeste@bbn.COM (Steven Den Beste) (01/08/88)

I, too, tried to get the Killer Demos from ssyx.ucsc.edu when that article
was posted, and I, too, failed.

So I walked over to the ARPAnet Network Operations Center (about 100 feet from
my office here at BBN, which runs the ARPAnet for the government on contract)
and asked them.

There is no site named ssyx.ucsc.edu on the ARPAnet.

The INTERNet hasn't heard of it.

The numeric network address given is not an ARPAnet address, it is an internet
domain, but the INTERNet doesn't recognize IT, either.

If you've been trying to get to it from ARPAnet, give up. You can't.

...or so I was told, and I think the network controllers know whereof they
speak. They actually queried the network name server's database from its
console terminal, using a program that mere mortals cannot access.

Apparently what is going on is that the machine in question is a local machine
on a local net at a university, and the person who made the original posting
(who has, by the way, not answered my mail) didn't know that it wasn't truly
linked into the ARPAnet. Apparently, they can call out, but the system name
server hasn't been informed of their existence - so none of US can call IN.

I certainly wish the person would answer my mail.

--
Steven C. Den Beste,   Bolt Beranek & Newman, Cambridge MA
denbeste@bbn.com(ARPA/CSNET/UUCP)    harvard!bbn.com!denbeste(UUCP)

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (01/08/88)

In article <5812@cc5.bbn.COM> denbeste@bbn.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:

>There is no site named ssyx.ucsc.edu on the ARPAnet.
>
>The INTERNet hasn't heard of it.
>
>The numeric network address given is not an ARPAnet address, it is an internet
>domain, but the INTERNet doesn't recognize IT, either.
>
>If you've been trying to get to it from ARPAnet, give up. You can't.
>
>...or so I was told, and I think the network controllers know whereof they
>speak. They actually queried the network name server's database from its
>console terminal, using a program that mere mortals cannot access.

Sorry, but most of this is nonsense.  There are many hosts on the internet
can only be found by using the domain name system.  I tried this and found:

ssyx.ucsc.edu
	type = A, class = IN, ttl = 86376, dlen = 4
	internet address = 128.114.133.1

===== Name servers:
UCSC.EDU
	type = NS, class = IN, ttl = 169253, dlen = 8
	domain name = UCSCC.UCSC.EDU

UCSC.EDU
	type = NS, class = IN, ttl = 1, dlen = 9
	domain name = FLATTE.UCSC.EDU

===== Additional info:
UCSCC.UCSC.EDU
	type = A, class = IN, ttl = 169253, dlen = 4
	internet address = 128.114.129.1

UCSCC.UCSC.EDU
	type = A, class = IN, ttl = 169253, dlen = 4
	internet address = 128.114.130.3

FLATTE.UCSC.EDU
	type = A, class = IN, ttl = 169253, dlen = 4
	internet address = 128.114.130.4

The program that does this based on a set of tools that comes with the BIND
name server package for unix.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (01/08/88)

[----------I wonder if the lineeater once started life as a virus? ---------]

In article <5812@cc5.bbn.COM> denbeste@bbn.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:
>I, too, tried to get the Killer Demos from ssyx.ucsc.edu when that article
>was posted, and I, too, failed.

Funny thing, ssyx.ucsc.edu doesn't appear in hosts.txt on the various
Tops-20 machines at Stanford, but when I type "telnet ssyx.ucsc.edu"
I quickly get the "login:" prompt *for* ssyx.ucsc.edu! The host number
it's using is 128.114.133.1.

Anyway, if you're trying to get to ssyx for the BKDC demos, you can also
try sushi.stanford.edu. People have had problems remaining connected to
sushi at certain times, but some were successful.

The demos (in shared, uuencoded, but not compressed form) are in
the directory <BKDC>. Login anonymously and first get <BKDC>README.
RGB, Kahnankas, WireDemo, WaveBench, Marketroid, HalfBriteHill,
Rocker, Focus, Hammmm, Stars, Killer, and Nemesis are there, along with
the necessary player programs. RotAmiga is not there, unfortunately, but may
get there soon.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Chong L Soo) (01/09/88)

In article <941@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) writes:
>In article <5812@cc5.bbn.COM> denbeste@bbn.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:
>>I, too, tried to get the Killer Demos from ssyx.ucsc.edu when that article
>>was posted, and I, too, failed.
>
>Funny thing, ssyx.ucsc.edu doesn't appear in hosts.txt on the various
>Tops-20 machines at Stanford, but when I type "telnet ssyx.ucsc.edu"
>I quickly get the "login:" prompt *for* ssyx.ucsc.edu! The host number
>it's using is 128.114.133.1.

I tried ftp 129.63.224.1 and it worked also.
Chong Soo (Amiga nut)			  soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu
			ARPANET/INTERNET  soo%ufcsg.ufl.edu@relay.cs.net
			BITNET		  soo%ufcsg.ufl.edu%relay.cs.net@wiscvm