[comp.sys.amiga] Spirit Technologies

davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) (01/08/88)

In article <10001@ut-sally.UUCP> joe@ut-sally.UUCP (Joe Hitchens) writes:
>... I also recalled the
>METAL SHIELDING that goes right on top of that board with the TALL jumper
>pins sticking up! (You can see where this is going, can't you).

I have also recently installed a Spirit Technologies RAM board (1.5M + clock)
in my Amiga.  Besides having to trim the PC board a little to fit my EARLY
model A1000 (later models apparently don't have this problem), I left the metal
shielding off (for now) to avoid any contact with the board.  Things are
working great, with one minor exception:

The "ReadClock" software supplied with my board began setting the Amiga's date
one day too far starting with the new year.  Though the program displays, say,
"01/01/88", it sets the OS clock to "01/02/88".  To get around this, I have
set the date back a day, and now use "Date" in my startup to display the date
as the Amiga sees it.  I think I'll write my own version of read/setclock soon
just for kicks.

Another question I have concerns the version of VDK that was supplied with
the board.  I have heard that the RELEASE version of VDK is supposed to
display a window letting you know the current status of disk creation/recovery.
The version I have does nothing visible.  Could someone send me the correct
version?  Has anyone contacted Spirit Technologies about this?
--
 Wayne Davison					      ...amdahl!drivax!davison
       Osauha, zgp'd fgdmaq dg zalgza dmjh.  Jd jh baqc ypjpkgqeudjba.

joe@ut-sally.UUCP (Joe Hitchens) (01/10/88)

In article <2903@drivax.UUCP> davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) writes:
>The "ReadClock" software supplied with my board began setting the Amiga's date
>one day too far starting with the new year.  Though the program displays, say,
>"01/01/88", it sets the OS clock to "01/02/88".  To get around this, I have
>set the date back a day, and now use "Date" in my startup to display the date
>as the Amiga sees it.  I think I'll write my own version of read/setclock soon
>just for kicks.

Yeah, strange isn't it?  Mine does the same thing.  When I first got it,
I set the date and it seemed to work fine.  I must not have been paying
attention.
Then, later I kept noticing that the date didn't seem right, like it was a day
off.  So I would think, "Well, I must have given it the wrong date".
I did that twice before really checking.
Sure enough, you tell it today is the 1st, and it sets the clock to the 2nd.
Strange.
j.h.