[comp.sys.amiga] ARP

drs-ano@duvan.nada.kth.se (Arne Nordmark) (01/08/88)

The ARP package which was recently posted to .binaries is truly superb.
What a relief to be able to type 'Delete *' again!
(Or better yet: Delete *multi*tasking* ALL)  That #? was driving me crazy.

One little question, however: cp    (Yes, there is a command called that)
When you type it by itself you get the following message:
  usage: Copy (wildcards) [TO] (wildcards or dir) [ALL] [QUIET]

"Ah, yes. It must be the ARP version of Copy" I concluded, and quickly deleted
the old AmigaDOS version and renamed the new cp as Copy.

When I rebooted I got a bit disapointed though. The message
  Can't open SYS:c
  Copy failed returncode 20
was thrown in my face. "And this was supposed to be compatible".

After a bit experimenting with the new Copy, I found that it don't seem
to copy any directories at all. Just plain files.
Thus one of my favourites: Copy DF0: DF1: ALL QUIET , don't work.

If anybody out there has some info on this I would really appreciate if
he (, she or whatever) dropped me an e-letter.

  - Gunnar Nordmark -

This is my address and it WILL work :-)  NORDMARK%vaxkab.lne.kth.se@enea.UUCP

( That's right, I'm posting this from my brother Arne's account again.
  He'll kill me, but don't worry, I'm used to it. )

In article <266@draken.nada.kth.se> NORDMARK%vaxkab.lne.kth.se@enea.UUCP writes:
|>The ARP package which was recently posted to .binaries is truly superb.
|>What a relief to be able to type 'Delete *' again!
|>(Or better yet: Delete *multi*tasking* ALL)  That #? was driving me crazy.

Yes, it is a nice piece of work. Wait to you see the programmers documentation
on what is in arp.library!

|>One little question, however: cp    (Yes, there is a command called that)
|>When you type it by itself you get the following message:
|>  usage: Copy (wildcards) [TO] (wildcards or dir) [ALL] [QUIET]
|>
|>"Ah, yes. It must be the ARP version of Copy" I concluded, and quickly deleted
|>the old AmigaDOS version and renamed the new cp as Copy.

NO!NO!NO! The *reason* it was named "cp" and NOT "Copy" is because it ISN'T
compatible with the original ADOS version. When it is, it will be distributed
as "Copy" and not "cp".

--Chuck McManis

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (01/10/88)

In article <266@draken.nada.kth.se> NORDMARK%vaxkab.lne.kth.se@enea.UUCP writes:
>The ARP package which was recently posted to .binaries is truly superb.
>
>After a bit experimenting with the new Copy, I found that it don't seem
>to copy any directories at all. Just plain files.
>Thus one of my favourites: Copy DF0: DF1: ALL QUIET , don't work.

Also missing (as far as I can tell) from the new ARP copy command is the
ability to say:

     copy * to filename

and then type source code followed by control-\ and thus have a file....
Seems that * is being used as a wild card, and there is no substitute.
This, however, is my biggest complaint (except there being no C bindings),
I am generally thrilled to be using it!

>  - Gunnar Nordmark -
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

In article <6508@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
>Also missing (as far as I can tell) from the new ARP copy command is the
>ability to say:
>
>     copy * to filename
>
>and then type source code followed by control-\ and thus have a file....
>Seems that * is being used as a wild card, and there is no substitute.

Have you tried:

	copy CON: to filename

?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170