[comp.sys.amiga] Problem with dropcloth?

brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) (01/04/88)

Has anyone else noticed a peculiar 'bug' with the new version of DropCloth?
When specifying a PATTERN of zero, or omitting a pattern argument, the
workbench screen no longer properly refreshes itself, i.e. shadows of disk
icons remain after the icons are moved about.  Eric, is there a reason for
this?  Other than this, I'm pretty pleased with the results of your work.
Unfortunately, I really don't want a pattern trampling all over my pretty
picture if I can avoid it.  Thanks for the neato program, and keep
perfecting it, please!

	brent

Brent Southard                    |  Everybody's trying to be a friend of mine,
Ovonic Imaging Systems, Troy, MI  |  Even a dog can shake hands.
Usenet:  ...well!brent            |                               - Warren Zevon
   CIS:  76657,415                |  We fell into love, love's a very deep hole.
 GEnie:  b.southard               |  (paraphrased!)      - Loudon Wainwright III

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (01/08/88)

In article <4904@well>, brent@well writes:
> Has anyone else noticed a peculiar 'bug' with the new version of DropCloth?
> When specifying a PATTERN of zero, or omitting a pattern argument, the
> workbench screen no longer properly refreshes itself, i.e. shadows of disk
> icons remain after the icons are moved about.  Eric, is there a reason for
> [...]

	Yes ! I have exactly the same problem !
And now some comments:
Eric says in the docs that he had the idea of writing DropCLoth when he
heard somebody from Apple Computers saying that Amiga's WB was bad because
the colours in the windows were the same as the color of the screen ( I quote
form memory).
My question is: why couldn't this be changed ?
Just change the colors in the screen and in the backdrop window ?
WHat's wrong with this ?

--

*- Francois Rouaix                 //       When the going gets tough,       *
*- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           the guru goes meditating...   *

joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) (01/13/88)

In article <4904@well>, brent@well writes:
> Has anyone else noticed a peculiar 'bug' with the new version of DropCloth?
> When specifying a PATTERN of zero, or omitting a pattern argument, the
> workbench screen no longer properly refreshes itself, i.e. shadows of disk
> icons remain after the icons are moved about.

I saw this problem, but I was using it on an interlace screen, which
the doc says is not supported. I also had another strange side effect.
All the disk and drawer windows came up with the drag bar missing.
The title of the window was still there, but the rest of the space
where the drag bar should be was missing. The drag bar still worked.
Also any icons in the window were moved up the width of the drag bar
and the top icons overlaid the drag bar making it difficult to grab
them instead of the drag bar. This behaviour continued, even after
deleting the dropcloth, untill reboot.

Joel Swank
Tektronix, Redmond, Oregon
joels@tekred.TEK.COM