[comp.sys.amiga] RS232 indignation

brianr@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Rhodefer) (12/22/87)

Michael Farren correctly points out the injustice of my knee-jerk
loathing of the RS232 "standard".  I must agree that the blame truly
lies with scoffstandard manufacturers.  I am curious about one aspect
of the RS232 tragedy though, particularly as I spent a little time on
one of my employer's internal standards committees:  Why didn't ANSI
sue the noncompliant manufacturers who fraudulently claimed that their
equipment had "an RS232 interface"?   Concocting a good interface is a
monumental effort; if I were a committe member, I'd be quite upset at
such a desecration.  Moreover, ANSI's standards are their "stock in trade";
the present state of RS232 cannot redound very much prestige or credit
to the Institute.  If they'd aggresively defended their (registered,
copyrighted, trademarked, and all that good legal stuff) standards
nomenclature from the start, it might have been possible to reliably
connect an "RS232 interface" cable to the "RS232 interface" connectors
of two pieces of equipment, and confidently expect those two pieces
of equipment to communicate.  Such is emphatically not possible today.

Sorry if all this belongs in another group;  I'll shut up now.

Idealistically,

Brian Rhodefer

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (12/22/87)

        If the standards people wanted to do things RIGHT, they would
     have made only one connector type.

        For instance:   make the left half of the connector male, and
                            the right half female.  Make the connector
                            so that it can plug into itself.  Whalla!
                            No more problems.  UniSex cables!

        But this is in the nature of American buisness.  The only priority
     is "how can we sell the most cables?".

        I recently bought a Hamilton Beach coffee maker.  The caraffe was
     designed in such a way that it was impossible to pour coffee from it
     without spilling it.   I contacted H.B. and they sent me their "fixed"
     caraffe (or however you spell it), quit promply.  It is a little better,
     but also spills.
        At first I felt that they (the engineers at Hamilton Beach) must be
     a bunch of Idiots.  I figure either

                a)  H.B.'s engineers never took physics.

                b)  it is intentional.

     If it is case b, I figure the water spilling on the warming element
     must reduce the life expectancy of the unit???  Am I being too cynical?
     I guess I pissed off because the reason I chose it over alternative
     machines was the "Buy American, Made in America" sticker on the box.

                                                Thanks, sorry for the
                                                   digression,

                                                             Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (01/03/88)

In article <2188@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>        If the standards people wanted to do things RIGHT, they would
>     have made only one connector type.
>
>        For instance:   make the left half of the connector male, and
>                            the right half female.  Make the connector
>                            so that it can plug into itself.  Whalla!
>                            No more problems.  UniSex cables!

That's just wonderful! What type of connector do you suggest the box have,
male? female? Arrrgh. That is exactly the problem with RS232, which assumes
that there are two types of boxes, ie. computers and terminals, and cables
are supposed to be pass thru devices (male one end, female the other end,
all pins straight thru). This is fine until someone invented PCs, well,
actually, someone decided that it would be neat to connect computer to
computer!

If you look at the consumer market, cables there are much more foolproof. Look
at the video cable, look at stereo cable, look at MIDI cable,...

All these cables have the same connector on both ends, and it makes no
difference which end of the cable plugs into which box!

In fact, we used to run a patch panel for a poor man's digital switch, and we
use stereo cables and jacks, works great, never get confused.
--
Godfrey Lee                                      P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                              3755 Riverside Dr.

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/06/88)

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) writes:
>In article <2188@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>        If the standards people wanted to do things RIGHT, they would
>>     have made only one connector type.
>>
>>        For instance:   make the left half of the connector male, and
>>                            the right half female.  Make the connector
>>                            so that it can plug into itself.  Whalla!
>>                            No more problems.  UniSex cables!
>
>That's just wonderful! What type of connector do you suggest the box have,
>male? female? Arrrgh. That is exactly the problem with RS232, which assumes
>that there are two types of boxes, ie. computers and terminals, and cables
>are supposed to be pass thru devices (male one end, female the other end,
>all pins straight thru). This is fine until someone invented PCs, well,
>actually, someone decided that it would be neat to connect computer to

        Perhaps a visual example will suffice:

                        |   computer A  |
                        |               |
                        |    OO!!       |       O = female, ! = male
                        -----------------

                             !!OO                <-- one end of the cable
                             OO!!                <-- other end of cable

                        -----------------
                        |    !!00       |        <-- note same pattern,
                        |               |               box is reversed.
                        |   computer B  |

        As you can see, all computer would also use the same connector
with this scheme.  Of course to be reliable all pins would have to be
carried across the cable.

                                                Thanks,

                                                        Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

space@pnet02.cts.com (Lars Soltau) (01/07/88)

Of course audio cables are easier to handle. Look how
much pins the have and compare it with the number of pins of an ordinary
null-modem

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!space
INET: space@pnet02.cts.com

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (01/08/88)

In article <2292@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) writes:
>>In article <2188@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>>        If the standards people wanted to do things RIGHT, they would
>>>     have made only one connector type.
>>> [UniSex cables!]
>>
>>That's just wonderful! What type of connector do you suggest the box have,
>>male? female? Arrrgh.
>
>        Perhaps a visual example will suffice:
>   [pictorial of hermaphroditic connectors]

Side note: one common example of such connectors: many brake/signal
light connectors for trailers have this general form, although in this
case it's not so much to allow for "unisex cables" as it is a polarity
safeguard (you can only plug it in one way).  You may have seen these things.

Back to the point of the cable, since the connector is obviously (!)
solvable...

One of my previous companies (Functional Automation, Inc.) standardized
all our RS-232 cables as follows (the "Functional Standard"):

	1 - male-to-female cables were straight-through
	2 - male-to-male or female-to-female cables crossed signals
	    as necessary to make them "hermaphroditic" [see modem signal
	    disclaimer in (5) below]
	3 - short "adapters" were bolted onto equipment, changing connector
	    sex and jumpering RS-232 signals as necessary to make the
	    cable end of the adapter conform to the Functional Standard
	    (including swapping of TD/RD and buggering of DCD/DTR/DSR/RTS/CTS
	    if required)
	4 - as a result, IF it could physically be plugged in, the data
	    signals would WORK
	5 - the Functional Standard allows for data interchange (TD/RD),
	    handshake (RTS/CTS), and plug-check (DTR/DSR) signals.
	    These families of signals are sufficient for most (?) uses
	    of RS-232 links OTHER THAN connection to modems (which is,
	    of course, the only thing that the RS-232 definition was
	    originally meant to cover).  Connections between modems (Data
	    Communications Equipment, or DCE) and computers or terminals
	    (Data Terminal Equipment, or DTE) uses the RS-232 signals as
	    defined in the standard.  Connections other than DTE to DCE
	    follow the Functional Standard, with "standardizing adapters"
	    permanently attached to the equipment as required.

Our convenient mnemonic was to assign "sex" to the connector pins.
Pins 2, 4, and 20 were male, i.e. data/signal comes OUT, and pins 3,
5, and 6 were female, i.e. data/signal goes IN.  The adapters made
everything work just fine.  The adapters only have to be configured ONCE
for each particular equipment example, but making them by hand with a
soldering iron can be a pain (but there are cheapie import varieties
of a poor-man's breakout patch box nowadays which make it very simple).

As a result, we never had to scramble for the "right" cable (the one with
the wires moved around for the X piece of equipment), and the RS-232
breakout box (those things are worth their weight in gold, and RS-232
data analyzers are worth their weight in platinum, and heavier besides)
is needed only once.

                      ---------

"Anyone who uses the terms 'RS-232' and 'standard' in the same sentence
has never been in the Real World."

--
Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"
   UUCP:	{sun!sunncal,hpda}!athertn!ericb

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (01/11/88)

There is a company that makes connectors that convert from DB25 connectors
to (I think 8-pin) phone jacks. The cables are symmetrical, so you can plug
anything into anything. The name is something like Western Digital or
California Digital or something like that.

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (01/13/88)

In article <526@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>There is a company that makes connectors that convert from DB25 connectors
>to (I think 8-pin) phone jacks. The cables are symmetrical, so you can plug
>anything into anything. The name is something like Western Digital or
>California Digital or something like that.

This company is:
	Nevada Western
	930 Maude Ave.
	Sunnyvale, CA  94086
	(408) 737-1600

I heartily recommend them!

They make modular (phone-style) patch panels, cables, coax-to-twisted-pair
baluns, all sorts of neat stuff.  I used the modular panels for
wiring up computer rooms and offices in one of my "previous lives".
Any terminal or computer could talk to any other, just by patching at
the panel, with either a straight-through or a crossed patch cable.
The trick is to note that the modular connectors use flat-ish cable,
and a half-twist crosses over pairs of signals, if you select the
conductors correctly.

This "trick" is essentially a more modern version of the one I
described in my previous article about RS-232 "standardization" of
cables and pinouts, using phone-style modular connectors instead
of DB25's.  We didn't have ready access to those more convenient
connectors in 1978, though -- they were still pretty much confined
to TPC.

Another advantage of their use of these now-ubiquitous connectors
is that vanilla TPC 25-pair cables (with Amphenol connectors) can be
used to connect quantities of tty lines in different locations quite
conveniently; the patch panels take Amphenol-terminated cables.
Connections to the computer tty lines are made with "spider" cables
with 25-pair connectors on one end and multiple DB25's on the other.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection whatever to Nevada Western, other
than being on their mailing list because I convinced my employer to
purchase their products a few years ago, with good results.

--

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) (01/13/88)

In article <526@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>There is a company that makes connectors that convert from DB25 connectors
>to (I think 8-pin) phone jacks. The cables are symmetrical, so you can plug
>anything into anything. The name is something like Western Digital or
>California Digital or something like that.

Nevada Western also makes DB25 -> (RJ11, RJ45) products.  You can buy versions
for 4, 6 and 8 wire cables.  I used their stuff at an installation with a patch
panel with 5 panels with 8 groups of 8 jacks each (8 jacks @ 6 wires/line fits
in a 50 pin TelCo cable) --- that's 320 sockets to crossmatch from terminals
to ports.  The job was rather easy, since we had proper equipment.  I like
using flat phone cable and RJ-11 jacks, but the rig is cost prohibitive below
about 20-30 plugs

-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks   | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
2433 N. Fourth St|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.