[comp.sys.amiga] New A-2000 Keyboards

artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) (01/14/88)

    Does anybody out there know exactly what needs to be done to fix the new
A-2000 keyboards? I asked the technician at my dealer and he told me it had
something to do with a capacitor but did not know the details. If someone
could post the actual fix for these keyboards It would be most appreciated.
I thought the dealers were supposed to know exactly how to fix it, but I guess
many dealers are still in the dark.

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (01/15/88)

in article <2366@crash.cts.com>, artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) says:

>     Does anybody out there know exactly what needs to be done to fix the new
> A-2000 keyboards? I asked the technician at my dealer and he told me it had
> something to do with a capacitor but did not know the details. If someone
> could post the actual fix for these keyboards It would be most appreciated.
> I thought the dealers were supposed to know exactly how to fix it, but I guess
> many dealers are still in the dark.

The dealers are supposed to have the instructions.  But you never know.  In
any case, the simplest fix for the new keyboards is to make the fix on the
motherboard.  Inside the A2000, right near the keyboard connector, are two
capacitors that should be removed if your keyboard is giving you trouble.
These are C911 and C912.  They are simply snipped out, nothing has to be
added.

--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (01/15/88)

in article <3148@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) says:
> The dealers are supposed to have the instructions.  But you never know.  In
> any case, the simplest fix for the new keyboards is to make the fix on the
> motherboard.  Inside the A2000, right near the keyboard connector, are two
> capacitors that should be removed if your keyboard is giving you trouble.
> These are C911 and C912.  They are simply snipped out, nothing has to be
> added.
                     ^^^^^
                      !!!

You idiot, that's C910, not C912 (thanks, Rick).  Next time check the
schematics instead of relying on your questionable brain cells.  You
don't want folks cutting out C912, you really don't.

C910 and C911 are the same kind of capacitor, and relatively small.  C912
is a larger one, and it actually helps keyboard performance, even for the
new keyboards.  DON'T REMOVE C912.

> Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"

--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy
		"I can't relax, 'cause I'm a Boinger!"

artw@pnet01.UUCP (01/16/88)

   Thanx for your response. My dealer finally did locate the sheet from
Commodore detailing the fix. I'm a bit confused, though, since the information
there stated that it was C910 and C911 that have to be snipped out. In your
message you stated that it was C911 and C912. Which of these pairs is correct?
I don't want to snip out the wrong pair of capacitors. I am assuming though
that you really meant C910 and C911. I know that if anybody knows the innards
of the A2000 you do. But I'm glad it's a really simple fix.
   By the way, I'm just curious, but what do those capacitors do in the first
place. Someone mentioned that it had something to do with controlling RF
interference. Is this true or were they meant to serve a different purpose?

                                                     ...Art

In article <2375@crash.cts.com> artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) writes:

>    Thanx for your response. My dealer finally did locate the sheet from
> Commodore detailing the fix. I'm a bit confused, though, since the information
> there stated that it was C910 and C911 that have to be snipped out. In your
> message you stated that it was C911 and C912. Which of these pairs is correct?
> I don't want to snip out the wrong pair of capacitors. I am assuming though
> that you really meant C910 and C911.

Yes, it's really C910 and C911 that want to be snipped out.  It's too easy
to misread the schematics at a quick glance...  They are little axial ceramic
caps labeled 1000pF or 102.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr