[comp.sys.amiga] Power Supplies in Amigas

droid@well.UUCP (Marty Brenneis) (01/06/88)

How many of you Amiga users out there leave your machines on all the time?

Have you ever had any problems with power line glitches eating your machine?

Does the Amiga power supply have surge and spike protection built in,
and how much torture did C= do to the machine?

The answers to these burning questions will follow for sure.

Thanks
-Marty the Droid
Sparkologist to the Stars

p.s. Thanks to all who brought enlightenment on how to make the 'F' keys
work in VT100.

erikj@hi.unm.edu (Erik Johannes) (01/07/88)

	I always leave my Amiga up and running.  The reasons are that I heard
it is easier on the electronics and it is a lot more convinient for me to just
walk up to my computer, turn on the monitor, and start typing.  I have
encoutered power glitches.  Some of them lasted for a couple seconds and reset
the clocks in the house.  However the Amiga has weathered all the glitches.
The only time I would be woried is if my drives were active at the time of
the glitch.  Also in the future when I add the 2 Meg memory expansion that
I have ordered, it's additional power consumption may not allow the Amiga
to safely ride through the glitches.

	One thing I recomend is to be running POPCLI or some other screen
saver program.  This way if you accidently leave the monitor on, it will
help to keep from burning the phospher.

	Finally one other thing I have thought of is it there is a complete
power failure.  When the power would come back on, the Amiga would be trying
to boot.  If it kept trying to do this for several days it might be hard on
the disk drive.  Because of this, when I leave for several days I turn the
Amiga off.
			-Erik

arnie@tikal.Teltone.COM (Arnold Koster) (01/07/88)

	Do I leave my Amiga on all the time?    You bet I do.

 I haven't shut my Amiga off (with the exception of a little preventative
maintenance) for over 15 months. Ever since I received my PAL expansion
chassis and hard disk it has been on night and day. Why you might ask? Well
when it takes almost two minutes to boot from a WARM start you get a little
reluctant to wait when you are anxious to tackle that latest program. Why
two minutes to boot?.....bindrivers, mount 2 disks, 3 partitions, assign
everything to DH0:, copy the RAM: icon, start RSLclock, Grabbit, Popcli,
Clicktofront, Shell 2.07 , AMICron.....etc... you get the idea.

 Practical reasons? Well my system spends 24 hrs a day monitoring Amateur
packet radio (soon using tcp-ip), runs UUPC via Amicron twice a day and serves
as the inventory system for a small home business during the day.

Turn it off?  Never
			2 years,3 months and never a problem. I love it.

			Ken
I'm only a guest for reading news please reply to:
---
Ken Koster (N7IPB)     algedi!kenk@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM		or
12653 NE 95th       ...uunet!pilchuck!algedi!kenk		or
Kirkland,Wa 98033   ...uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!algedi!kenk

Mine all Mine. Hee Hee :-) :-)	Amiga,1.5meg,40megHD,UUPC no NEWS software..yet

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (01/07/88)

In article <4916@well.UUCP> droid@well.UUCP (Marty Brenneis) writes:

>How many of you Amiga users out there leave your machines on all the time?

 I confess - im lazy and never turn my systems off. All 3 Amys in my office
 are on 24hrs a day - every day.

>Have you ever had any problems with power line glitches eating your machine?

 No real problems with glitches, now blackouts, brownouts and the real mean
 ones do get me (but thats very rare).

>Does the Amiga power supply have surge and spike protection built in,

 Gee I cant answer that one?  As they say, "Thats my department".

>and how much torture did C= do to the machine?

 Well they gave me one to use (or was that abuse?) :-)

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/07/88)

        I have a VERY OLD A1000, and I have left it on for as much as
three days at a time, and often leave it on for 24 hour stretches.  I've
had no problems.  Can't say about the A500/2000.

                                                Good Luck,

                                                        Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

duncanj@umd5.umd.edu (James Duncan) (01/07/88)

I used to leave my Amiga on all the time. I don't anymore
'cause I now have a dead fan.

			Jim Duncan

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (01/08/88)

in article <4916@well.UUCP>, droid@well.UUCP (Marty Brenneis) says:

> How many of you Amiga users out there leave your machines on all the time?
> Have you ever had any problems with power line glitches eating your machine?

I've had my A2000 on here at work for about a month straight.  No problems
with power glitches.

The A1000 is the winner, though, in the brownout contest.  Back when I had
that on my desk here instead, it survived brownouts that glitched the
monitor, our VAXen, Apollos, Suns, Calmas, Scicards, etc.  And our C128s.

--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

In article <2299@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:

>        I have a VERY OLD A1000, and I have left it on for as much as
>three days at a time, and often leave it on for 24 hour stretches.  I've
>had no problems.  Can't say about the A500/2000.

I too, have a very old 1000.

Three days ? Wimp :-)

My record was about 6 weeks.

I now turn it off whenever I finish using it because there are little
people running around here that have been able to eject disks from
the age of 10 months.

I must be getting old. My amiga is on a desk and has two drives ;-)

--
   It's too far to put Santa Fe in my ignition, or something like that.
              richard@gryphon.CTS.COM    crash!gryphon!richard

jyouells@pnet02.cts.com (John Youells) (01/08/88)

Hummph ;)  My 'very old A1000' has been 'on' 24 hrs a day for over 6 months.
 It works for me.  (My Startup-Sequence is too long anyway ;)

UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!jyouells
INET: jyouells@pnet02.CTS.COM

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!jyouells
INET: jyouells@pnet02.cts.com

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (01/09/88)

In article <4916@well.UUCP> droid@well.UUCP (Marty Brenneis) writes:

>How many of you Amiga users out there leave your machines on all the time?

	Mine has been on 24 hours a day, every day, for nearly two years
	now, except for periods when I know I'm going to be away for
	more than 2-3 days at a time (total off time in 2 years ~= 4 weeks).

>Have you ever had any problems with power line glitches eating your machine?

	Nope.  In fact, she is unfazed (not unphased, she likes 2-phase
	power) by power spikes and glitches that confuse the hell out
	of other electronics in the house.  I live out in the woods,
	and the power is DIRTY, as well as unreliable during the
	rainy season (Yo-Yo Mode, off for < 1/2 sec, then back on).
	Even the clock in the VCR, which has a big capacitor charged so
	it's almost "battery-backed-up" gets confused, but not Amy.

	Of course, any such dropouts or spikes actually DURING reading
	or writing a floppy gives me an error, but what do you expect?
	A retry usually takes care of it!

--
Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"
   UUCP:	{sun!sunncal,hpda}!athertn!ericb

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (01/10/88)

In article <2055@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <2299@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>
>>        I have a VERY OLD A1000, and I have left it on for as much as
>>three days at a time, and often leave it on for 24 hour stretches.  I've
>>had no problems.  Can't say about the A500/2000.
>
>I too, have a very old 1000.
>
>Three days ? Wimp :-)
>
>My record was about 6 weeks.
                     ^^^^^^^
   6 WEEKS!?! and your calling him a wimp!?!

   (Muffled sounds of two people rolling around on the floor saying something
    about "My dad can beat your dad!" - Woops, here comes dad.....  Gota go!)

   The above 3 lines are posted with many :-) (IE: just kidding) all around.

   But seriously - my Amy 1000 at home has been running a BBS (for a local
   users group) for over 1 year now without being turned off! Not one problem
   of any kind. My Amy 2000 at work has been running since I got it - about
   6 months now. Again not one problem.

--

rxb@rayssdb.RAY.COM (Richard A. Brooks) (01/17/88)

> In article <2299@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
> >
> >        I have a VERY OLD A1000, and I have left it on for as much as
> >three days at a time, and often leave it on for 24 hour stretches.  I've
> >had no problems.  Can't say about the A500/2000.

  I don't have an Amiga so I can't speek of the quality of the power
 supply, But I have been building and running computers for more years
 than I care to admit.

  My advice is DON'T TURN IT OFF!!!  At all, ever, never, leave it running
 24 hours a day seven days a week.

  The theory is simple, provided the machine is properly designed (ie
 adequate airflow to prevent overheating) the power supply will supply
 a steady constant voltage. No current spikes, no overvoltage, no under-
 voltage!  Ha! Just like a lightbulb, don't cycle power and it will last
 forever (in the computer industry, forever is defined as 2 to 5 years)!!

  This works quite well, I just turned off (and retired) my S100 after
 12 years of loyal service!!!!!  The machine was without power 5 times
 in 12 years!! (once to install a UPS and 4 times during moves)

  There are cautions..

	1. Ensure that the MONITOR can be turned off separatly. You
	   don't want to burn a hole through the CRT.

	2. Ensure that the Disk Drive motors turn off after a period
	   of time (motors WILL overheat). Most Floppy drives will do
	   this but you may have to write a routine to stop the Hard
	   Disk drive motor after several minutes of inactivity.

	3. Ensure that you have adequate power conditioning equipment,
	   a surge supressor is mandatory, a conditioner to maintain
	   frequency is reccommended if your Electric Company is like
	   our's. Also an Uninterruptable Power Supply is nice. It not
	   only maintains power during blackouts , but will ensure that
	   an unexpected drop in line voltage dosen't kill your machine.

  In short DON'T PULL THE PLUG !! Your'e doing more damage than good.

--
Richard Brooks      {allegra, gatech, ihnp4, linus, raybed2}!rayssd!rayssdb!rxb
Raytheon Service Company              // When everyone is out to get you  //

soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Chong L Soo) (01/17/88)

In article <1828@rayssdb.RAY.COM> rxb@rayssdb.RAY.COM (Richard A. Brooks) writes:
>  My advice is DON'T TURN IT OFF!!!  At all, ever, never, leave it running
> 24 hours a day seven days a week.

I understand that power on-off cycles are bad for the power supply.  How bad
is it to the chips?  Would someone tell me how I could estimate the power
consumption of an idling computer?  I mean, would it be cheaper to leave the
computer on all the time or would it be cheaper to just get a new computer when
it eventually fail (every two years?)?  Anyone know the consumption of an
off-the-shelf B2000?

Thankie.
Chong Soo (Amiga nut)			  soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu
			ARPANET/INTERNET  soo%ufcsg.ufl.edu@relay.cs.net
			BITNET		  soo%ufcsg.ufl.edu%relay.cs.net@wiscvm

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/18/88)

ST-506/412, ESDI, SCSI, etc. 5-1/4 inch hard disks usually have an
integrated drive motor that is part of the spindle assembly.  The
spindle usually employs a sleve bearing and is thus very impervious
to wear  -- it doesn't need ball bearings since there is no
laterally applied load.  I have a hard drive in an AT compatible
that has excessive bearing runout which makes the heads jam when
the drive is powered down -- the heads stop flying as the drive
slows down and actually stick to the platter like gague blocks
stick because the platter and heads are so smooth.  Needless to say
this drive stays on all the time. -- The sticky heads require a
manual flip of the flywheel to get the drive going, as the internal
motor doesn't have enough torque to break free.

Also, nastyness is most likely to occur as the drive spins up or
down because the heads really are not flying.

MTBF ratings for consumer drives range 20K to 30K hours.  I'd say
that with times like that, that you might as well leave the hard
disk on continuously while the computer is on.

Modern hard disks are quite different from the monsters that graced
CP/M computers.  I still have a Persci voice coil 8" floppy drive
somewhere -- boy was I glad to take that abomination out of
service.  Shugart 801s were pretty good 8" drives as long as the
helical stepper motor shaft was kept clean.  Since those drives had
110 volt synchronous motors, they did get kind of warm, so I agree
that powering then down after a few minutes of inactivity was a
good idea -- also minimized wear on the diskette not to have it
turning continuously.  I never had the funds to get a hard disk on
any of the CP/M systems I had.

I also agree that shutting down monitors during inactivity is a
good idea as it minimizes the pickup of dust on the high voltage
wiring and thus reduces the likelyhood of a short on the high
voltage supply.  I make the assumption that software can be
employed to do screen blanking.

--Bill