[comp.sys.amiga] virus, ARRRG!

soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Chong L Soo) (01/08/88)

Say, what are the differences between the two strains of SCA virus?

I was wondering, since the SCA virus is harmless (sort of), if we let it
hang around, wouldn't that stop any future versions of (perhaps harmful)
virus that uses the boot block also?  I mean, the good (sort of) virus
would have the control of the computer on reboot if it got there before
the bad virus.  (Sorry)
Chong Soo (Amiga nut)			  soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu
			ARPANET/INTERNET  soo%ufcsg.ufl.edu@relay.cs.net
			BITNET		  soo%ufcsg.ufl.edu%relay.cs.net@wiscvm

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (01/09/88)

In article <10081@ufcsv.cis.ufl.EDU> soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Chong L Soo) writes:
>Say, what are the differences between the two strains of SCA virus?

The second strain of SCA is just the first strain with different text.

>I was wondering, since the SCA virus is harmless (sort of), if we let it
>hang around, wouldn't that stop any future versions of (perhaps harmful)
>virus that uses the boot block also?  I mean, the good (sort of) virus
>would have the control of the computer on reboot if it got there before
>the bad virus.  (Sorry)
The two known strains of SCA will write over each other. ie infect machine
with strain 1 then boot with a disk that has strain 2 on it. Strain 1
will overwrite strain 2 and vice versa.

Say you infect the machine with SCA #1 and then warm boot with a disk
that has a harmful virus on it (that works the same way). Then concievably
SCA #1 would overwrite the nasty virus thereby destroying it. I don't
recommend this, however. What about when you boot you game and forget
that SCA is in memory? Goodbye game. Your still better off with no virus's.

Bill Koester (CATS)          >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
Commodore International Ltd. UUCP ..{allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
		             PHONE  (215) 431-9355

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/09/88)

In article <10081@ufcsv.cis.ufl.EDU> soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Chong L Soo) writes:
>I was wondering, since the SCA virus is harmless (sort of), if we let it
>hang around, wouldn't that stop any future versions of (perhaps harmful)
>virus that uses the boot block also?  I mean, the good (sort of) virus
>would have the control of the computer on reboot if it got there before
>the bad virus.  (Sorry)

I love it!  Core Wars played out with viruses!  The good guys vs the bad guys!

Sean
--
--  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitneT
--  (the Empire guy)         {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (01/10/88)

In article <10081@ufcsv.cis.ufl.EDU> soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Chong L Soo) writes:
>I was wondering, since the SCA virus is harmless (sort of), if we let it
>hang around, wouldn't that stop any future versions of (perhaps harmful)
>virus that uses the boot block also?

Before anyone flames about that posting, what I think he is suggesting is
something like what I hope the VCheck 2.0 will do -- hang around in memory
and restore itself after boots, examine the boot block of all bootable disks
you insert, warn you of a non-standard one, and ask you if it should re-install
that disk. Commercial games would be safe, and you wouldn't keep having to
run install yourself.

John
--
"She's sort of a 'pit baby', with interlocking jaws. We feed her on chicken
parts."

bobb@tekfdi.TEK.COM (Robert Bales) (01/11/88)

writes:

>I was wondering, since the SCA virus is harmless (sort of), if we let it
>hang around, wouldn't that stop any future versions of (perhaps harmful)
>virus that uses the boot block also?

:-) :-) :-)

Sort of like using a dead (harmless) virus in a vaccine to prevent a person
from getting a disease?

:-) :-) :-)

   Bob Bales
   Tektronix, Inc.

I help Tektronix make their instruments. They don't help me make my opinions.

ccasttd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Thomas M. Dixon Jr.) (01/13/88)

In article <4361@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:
>In article <10081@ufcsv.cis.ufl.EDU> soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Chong L Soo) writes:
>>I was wondering, since the SCA virus is harmless (sort of), if we let it
>>hang around, wouldn't that stop any future versions of (perhaps harmful)
>>virus that uses the boot block also?
>
>... what I think he is suggesting is
>something like what I hope the VCheck 2.0 will do -- hang around in memory
>and restore itself after boots, examine the boot block of all bootable disks
>you insert, warn you of a non-standard one, and ask you if it should re-install
>that disk. Commercial games would be safe, and you wouldn't keep having to
>run install yourself.
>
>John
YES...
If this is not what 2.0 will do, lets get 3.0 out immed with this feature.
We need a program that "hangs out" all the time and randomly checks for
system corruption.  Something that follows certain criterion for check
intervals but also checks willy-nilly to make it hard to defeat.  This way
you all of a sudden get a system window saying "System Corruption Detected:
DF0: Boot Block Corruption." or the like.  I think this config would be the
superior option.

Thomas M Dixon Jr.
ccasttd @ pyr.gatech.edu

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/13/88)

ccasttd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Thomas M. Dixon Jr.) writes:
>YES...
>If this is not what 2.0 will do, lets get 3.0 out immed with this feature.
>We need a program that "hangs out" all the time and randomly checks for
>system corruption.  Something that follows certain criterion for check
>intervals but also checks willy-nilly to make it hard to defeat.  This way
>you all of a sudden get a system window saying "System Corruption Detected:
>DF0: Boot Block Corruption." or the like.  I think this config would be the
>superior option.

        I would like to point out that any such program

             A)  Becomes the likely target of a virus.  If you can corrupt
                   this program then you've got um.  Also, if it runs on
                   "every" system it is a commonality which can probably
                   be exploited.

             B)  Becomes a risk.  After all, what happens if the program
                   mutates on its own?  All it takes is the wrong bit to
                   be changed (disk error??) and your virus has a side
                   effect.  Not much of a risk, but with any program which
                   spreads spores the numbers are bound to catch up with
                   you!

        So PLEASE do not create any program that propogate themselves in a
           virus-like manner.  Let people install the program, or add it to
           their start-up sequence, or tie it to a common command, or
           whatever, but no spores.

                                                        Thanks,

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

In article <4763@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccasttd@pyr.UUCP (Thomas M. Dixon Jr.) writes:
>In article <4361@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:
>>something like what I hope the VCheck 2.0 will do -- hang around in memory
>>and restore itself after boots, examine the boot block of all bootable disks
>>you insert, warn you of a non-standard one, and ask you if it should
>>re-install that disk.  [ ... ]
>
>YES...
>If this is not what 2.0 will do, lets get 3.0 out immed with this feature.
>We need a program that "hangs out" all the time and randomly checks for
>system corruption.  [ ... ]

	I *REALLY* hate to contribute to this, but....

	This is a bad idea.  VCheck should most definitely not hang around
in memory.  If you want it available all the time, then put it in your
startup-sequence.  Not even VD0: automagically survives reboots (it has to
be specifically re-mounted), and *it* has a legitimate excuse to do so.

	In my humble opinion, the *only* things that should be surviving
reboots are resident libraries (those that have been RamKick'ed).  Anything
else hanging around would make me nervous.  Besides, all some socially
maladjusted ninny has to do is create a virus that survives reboots, and he
calls it "VCheck 3.1".  Ugh....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

bishop@skat.usc.edu (Brian Bishop) (01/22/88)

In article <4763@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccasttd@pyr.UUCP (Thomas M. Dixon Jr.) writes:
>We need a program that "hangs out" all the time and randomly checks for
>system corruption.  Something that follows certain criterion for check
>intervals but also checks willy-nilly to make it hard to defeat.  This way
>you all of a sudden get a system window saying "System Corruption Detected:
>DF0: Boot Block Corruption." or the like.  I think this config would be the
>superior option.

 While I applaud the idea of virus-detectors, I think this idea is akin to
taking a certain antibiotic once a day that kills a known (flu) bug. If
you put it into general distributioon you will just be that much more
susceptible to the next generation. The more 'automatic' we make these
innoculations, the less prepared we will be. I think the parallels to human
virii are very strong.

brian bishop                            ---> bishop@usc-ecl.ARPA
(uscvax,sdcvdef,engvax,scgvaxd,smeagol) ---> usc-skat!bishop.UUCP

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic
condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time,
every creature that lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat
of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life.
Everywhere in the universe."
                             - Wilbur Mercer, founder of Mercerism

have a nice day fnord.