[comp.sys.amiga] Which 2400 or 1200 baud modem to buy?

amiguy@pnet01.cts.com (Sean Wolfe) (01/06/88)

fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) writes:
>in article <672@trwspf.TRW.COM+, knurlin@trwspf.TRW.COM (Scott Karlin) says:
>+
>+ I will be getting a modem in the next few weeks.  I
>+ would like to get some opinions on everyone's favorite
>+ modem before I buy.  I recently received a catalog from
>+ Computer Discount in Denver which is advertising a
>+ Supra 2400 BPS modem for $139.  Is this a good one?
>+ Has anyone dealt with Computer Discount before?
>+ I also have a Computer Mart (Nacogdoches, TX) catalog
>+ which is advertising an Avatex 2400 baud modem for
>+ $220.  Any comments about this modem or Mail order house?
>+ Thanks for the help.
>+
>+ --
I called that place that has the Supra 2400 for $139.
I am going to order one today.  One drawback, though.
They are BACKORDERED for FOUR weeks.....
But, at that price for 2400 baud.. It's a great deal...

Sean Wolfe

mcnally@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike McNally) (01/16/88)

In article <2290@crash.cts.com>, amiguy@pnet01.cts.com (Sean Wolfe) writes:
> fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) writes:
> >in article <672@trwspf.TRW.COM+, knurlin@trwspf.TRW.COM (Scott Karlin) says:
> >+
> >+ I will be getting a modem in the next few weeks.  I
> >+ would like to get some opinions on everyone's favorite
> >+ modem before I buy.  I recently received a catalog from
> >+ Computer Discount in Denver which is advertising a
> >+ Supra 2400 BPS modem for $139.  Is this a good one?
> >+ Has anyone dealt with Computer Discount before?
> >+ --
> I called that place that has the Supra 2400 for $139.
> I am going to order one today.  One drawback, though.
> They are BACKORDERED for FOUR weeks.....
> But, at that price for 2400 baud.. It's a great deal...
>
> Sean Wolfe

I recently bought a Practical Peripherals 2400SA from a bulk
purchase (25) made with a number of members of our users' group
(MACRO, Michigan Amiga Computer Resource Organization, for anyone
who lives in SE Michigan and might be interested..)  The modems
cost about $150.00 each for a very Hayes compatible modem with
a sample subscription to Compuserve and other goodies. (the one
I appreciate most is the 5 year guarantee.)

All in all, I'm very happy with the performance of the modem and
given that the only one I've seen priced lower is the Supra, I
think it's a pretty good deal.  I'd certainly recommend it.  The
thing that amazes me is that it cost less than I spent on my old
1200 baud modem!

| No lengthy disclaimers this time, but you should know by now that  |
| unless stated otherwise, I speak for myself and not my employers.  |
|mcnally@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike McNally @ University of Michigan |
|                                Computer Aided Engineering Network) |

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (01/23/88)

>> >in article <672@trwspf.TRW.COM+, knurlin@trwspf.TRW.COM (Scott Karlin) says:
>> >+
>> >+ I will be getting a modem in the next few weeks.  I
>> >+ would like to get some opinions on everyone's favorite
>> >+ modem before I buy.

You definitely can't argue with the price of the Supra modem. I got mine for
*less* than the 1200 baud Amiga-modems are locally!

The only quibble I have about it is the speaker... it's very loud if turned
on. Even when off you can hear it faintly, enough to tell when a carrier
responds or hear a busy signal. There isn't a knob to turn for volume, it's
a software command.

John
--
"Am I dreaming, or was there a show on this weekend called 'Jimmy the Greek:
 Live at the Apollo'?"