[comp.sys.amiga] compiling vt100 2.7

dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (01/13/88)

When I get to the blink phase of compiling vt100 version 2.7 with lattice 4.0,
I choose no option, and after a bunch of "multiply defined" errors come out
I get:
ERROR 507: unknown symbol type 255

Where do I look this up, what am I doing wrong, etc etc...?

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!dave {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd4@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133        \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: 3200 N Cramer #E380, Milw WI 53211

In article <4171@uwmcsd1.UUCP> (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>When I get to the blink phase of compiling vt100 version 2.7 with lattice 4.0,
>I choose no option, and after a bunch of "multiply defined" errors come out
>I get:
>ERROR 507: unknown symbol type 255
>
>Where do I look this up, what am I doing wrong, etc etc...?

Well there are several problems with Vt100 2.7 and Lattice but this one was
new to me. Did you edit the include file vt100.h and set LATTICE to 1 and
MANX to 0?

For those of you who are working on it, I made a whole bunch of cosmetic
changes to keep the 'Return argument mismatch' errors down to a minimum
and added a prototypes file for all of the Vt100 functions. Anyone who
wants these changes feel free to send me mail. Note that due to the
'legacy' of how Vt100 came to be there are a lot of fundamental design
problems with it that need addressing. [I have been building a list of
those too :-) ] But it does work and that is something that is often
more valuable than cleanliness.

--Chuck McManis

macphed@sask.UUCP (Ian MacPhedran) (01/23/88)

> When I get to the blink phase of compiling vt100 version 2.7 with lattice 4.0,
> I choose no option, and after a bunch of "multiply defined" errors come out
> I get:
> ERROR 507: unknown symbol type 255
>
> Where do I look this up, what am I doing wrong, etc etc...?
>
> Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
> Internet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!dave {o,o}
> Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd4@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133        \u/
> ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: 3200 N Cramer #E380, Milw WI 53211

Dave;
I had the same problem when I got version 4. (Big talk - I just got it
solved tonight!) VT100 was the first program I tried on it. I was NOT
favourably impressed!!!

The people on the Lattice BBS were helpfull, but they were puzzled also.
The fix is:

1> lc -r -b -Rvt100.lib #?.c
1> blink from lib:c.o to vt100 lib vt100.lib,lib:lc.lib,lib:amiga.lib

(nd and verbose are good options to use, too.)
I have no idea why using your own library works. I got the idea from
just trying to avoid blink as much as I could.

Ian.

| Ian MacPhedran                     | USEnet ihnp4!sask!macphed      |
| Engineering Applications           | BITNET MacPhedran@Sask         |
| Department of Computing Services   | Phone  (306) 966-4832          |
| 2B13 Engineering Bldg.             | Telex  064-2659                |
| University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 0W0 |