[comp.sys.amiga] CON: lockup on typing * <CR> at CLI prompt

rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) (01/08/88)

Yesterday, Harv Laser asked me a question:

    "Why does the CLI lockup solidly if you just type

	* <CR>

I was about ready to explain to him that * refers to the console
window itself; about how you do the COPY * TO FILENAME puts anything
you type into the file and so on.   But the first thing on the
command line is usually interpreted by the CLI as a command and
not as a "place", so I really did not have any explanation to
give him.   Is the console trying (and succeeding at) executing
itself?  (It really gets killed, it seems).  :-) :-) :-)

Anybody got any ideas as to what causes this?
Matt?  Steve D?    Not that I plan on doing this in the
future, (and not worth bothering CATS about) but it seemed
interesting anyway.

Rob Peck			...ihnp4!hplabs!dana!rap

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (01/09/88)

In article <279@dana.UUCP> rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
>Yesterday, Harv Laser asked me a question:
>
>    "Why does the CLI lockup solidly if you just type
>
>	* <CR>

Its not really a solid lockup...by typing enough control-\
characters (24 I believe) control will return to you, and
you'll get the Unable to load * error message.

If you're really good, you can type an executable program in its
place :-)

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
 a rigged demo."

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (01/10/88)

In article <3109@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

>Its not really a solid lockup...by typing enough control-\
>characters (24 I believe) control will return to you, and
>you'll get the Unable to load * error message.
>
>If you're really good, you can type an executable program in its
>place :-)

>andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy

If you can type an executable program, than why can't you just type
the character that means RTS to the microprocessor?  I just can't
see typing in all the code to anything else...Hmmmm, how does diskcopy
go again?
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (01/11/88)

In article <279@dana.UUCP>, rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
> Yesterday, Harv Laser asked me a question:
>     "Why does the CLI lockup solidly if you just type
> 	* <CR>
> Is the console trying (and succeeding at) executing
> itself?  (It really gets killed, it seems).  :-) :-) :-)

	Yes indeed !!
	I think CLI is trying to execute *, that is the file *.
	But file * is current input, so it will terminate only on a
	ctrl-\ . Ok. So type * <CR>, some junk , and then ctrl-\.
	You should get the error message "file is not an object module".
	Note that if you could manage that the junk you type in matches
	hunk definitions and some binary code, you may execute some
	instructions.

--

*- Francois Rouaix                 //       When the going gets tough,       *
*- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           the guru goes meditating...   *

cks@radio.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (01/24/88)

 AmigaDOS does indeed try to execute '*' if you ask it to. It doesn't
lock up; what appears to be happening (from some small amount of
testing I've done) is that it's asking for 20 characters at once from
CON:, and CON: isn't returning immediately if you type an end of file
character.

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"