[comp.sys.amiga] How to make Dropcloth pix w/PIXmate

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (01/04/88)

When we left Harv yesterday, he had posted some queries to Eric @ ASDG
about how to convert various types of IFF pix to a format that Dropcloth2.0
would like.  In the meantime, Harv asked some other folks, including
Justin V. McCormick, author of the new image processing program called
"PIXmate" now hitting dealer shelves, published by Progressive Peripherals
& Software.  If you've seen or used "Butcher" or "Butcher 2.0" from
Eagle Tree Software, PIXmate is similar but its functions do not necessarily
overlap all of Butcher's functions. For one thing, PIXmate can perform
thousands of operations on HAM format pictures, while Butcher can only
convert HAMs to non-HAM, allowing no other processing on HAM pix. For the
fully equipped Amiga Artist's Arsenal of tools, I'd recommend both
programs. But I digress...

If you own PIXmate, and want to make Dropcloth2.0 pictures out of virtually
any format Amiga picture file, here's the poop directly from Justin:
------------------------

     Yes, I downloaded DropCloth and put it through it's paces.  I don't
personally plan to use the program, but it _is_ cute and gives those
arrogant Mac users something to think about.  I wish it would work
automatically with interlaced Workbench -- currently it displays garbage on
the bottom half of the screen if you try to dropcloth a 640x200 image on a
640x400 Workbench.  Oh well, can't have everything, especially for free.

     Although I never really thought people would use PIXmate for this
purpose, you can indeed convert any image into a format suitable for
backdrop use.  The ORDER in which you perform the conversion steps is
critical.  Here is a step-by-step technique that should work with good
results:

1) Load PIXmate, and DO NOT use the "Other" screen yet!  The colors for the
Other Screen are initialized to your Workbench colors, which will make the
"Match Palette..." operation easier later.

2) Load the image to be converted.  If this is a HAM image, use "HAM to 32"
to convert it to 32 colors.

3) Use "Match Palette...With Other" at this point to make an approximate
match with the default Workbench colors set for the Other Screen.  Note
that this includes the mouse pointer colors, so there may be as many as 7
colors at this point (the 4 Workbench colors, plus the 3 sprite colors).

4) Use "Less Colors" to reduce the palette to 4 colors.

5) Using "Reformat As...", convert the image to 640x200.  As an
alternative, you can use the Display Control Window to manually re-size the
image and change the ViewModes to "HIRES" "NOLACE".

6) The size and color are correct, but we still need to insure that the
image uses only 2 bitplanes, like Workbench.  Pull up the Display Control
Window ("Display" from the Effects Menu).  Turn off all the bitplane
gadgets except for the ones labeled"1" and "2".  For instance, if bitplane
gadgets "1", "2", "3", and "4" are highlighted, click on "3" and "4" to
turn them off.  Now, click on the "ReForm" gadget to permanently change the
number of bitplanes to 2.  Exit the Display Control Window.

7) Finally, use "Match Palette...With Other" one last time.

8) Whew! Save your creation.

     You could skip step 3 but I have gotten better results from doing the
initial match early in the process.  This could be made much easier (even
automatic!) but it didn't occur to me during PIXmate's creation.  Perhaps
we need a super iconmaker-workbench backdrop creator option.

     Note that the "Match Palette..." can be deceptive.  For instance, lets
say you have a 4 bitplane, 16 color image on the Current screen, and a 2
bitplane, 4 color image on the Other screen.  Even though the Other screen
can only _display_ 4 colors, this does NOT mean that the _palette_ has only
4 colors.  Indeed, the palette can have as many as 32 colors, but only the
first 4 can be displayed on a 2 bitplane screen.  When you choose the
"Match Palette...With Other" option, PIXmate looks at the number of colors
of the DESTINATION IMAGE (the Current screen) can have, and matches the
palettes based on this number of colors.  In this example, PIXmate would
copy the first 16 colors from the palette used by the Other screen.  The
image on the Current screen is then translated to use the best colors
available from this new set of 16 colors.  The two images are now using the
SAME PALETTE, but the image on the Current screen may be able to use MORE
COLORS from this palette than the image on the Other screen, since the
Current screen has two more bitplanes!  To truly make the color usage
identical between the two screens, you need to change the Current screen
bitmap depth (number of bitplanes) to be the same as the Other screen --
then use "Match Palette...".

     Why did I do things this crazy way?  Flexibility was the primary
reason.  Perhaps I made a poor decision here...I might do things the
intuitive way in PIXmate 2.0, or offer an adjustable technique -- a "Match
Palette" which allows you to select the range of colors to use for the
translation.

     Hope this helps.  Let me know if this doesn't do it!

     Justin

-------------------------
So, Eric, I've pretty much answered my own question, but I'd still be
interested in reading YOUR technique for creating Dropcloth-acceptable
pictures, just to see how you did it with your sample pictures.

DisclaimerCity: I have no relationship with either Eagle Tree Software
or Progressive Peripherals & Software except for being a satisfied user
of their products.

Justin McCormick can be reached on People/Link as i.d. PROGRESS**

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com

drs-ano@duvan.nada.kth.se (Arne Nordmark) (01/05/88)

In article <2029@gryphon.CTS.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>     Yes, I downloaded DropCloth and put it through it's paces.  I don't
>personally plan to use the program, but it _is_ cute and gives those
>arrogant Mac users something to think about.  I wish it would work
>automatically with interlaced Workbench -- currently it displays garbage on
>the bottom half of the screen if you try to dropcloth a 640x200 image on a
>640x400 Workbench.  Oh well, can't have everything, especially for free.

A PAL Amiga (640x256 WB) suffers from the same problem when using Dropcloth:
Everything below the 200th line is pure garbage.

Well I could use LessRows but... :-)

There is a curious bug (feature?) which shows up about every 25th time I
boot up my PAL A2K: It configures for NTSC instead of PAL!
(Ever seen that CATS?) My ex-A1K suffered from the same thing.

So basically I just have to reboot around 25 times to get DropCloth working.
Oh, I must not forget to turn on the write protect switch :-)

  - Gunnar Nordmark -      elin.lne.kth.se!NORDMARK@enea.UUCP

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (01/07/88)

In article <263@draken.nada.kth.se> elin.lne.kth.se!NORDMARK@enea.UUCP writes:
>There is a curious bug (feature?) which shows up about every 25th time I
>boot up my PAL A2K: It configures for NTSC instead of PAL!
>(Ever seen that CATS?) My ex-A1K suffered from the same thing.

>  - Gunnar Nordmark -      elin.lne.kth.se!NORDMARK@enea.UUCP

This is a new one...  I have been running a fake PAL amiga for several
months (A PAL Agnus with an American Amiga).  I have never seen this problem,
only thing that ever happens to me is the CLI sometimes only opens 40
columns wide.  Has anyone besides Gunnar experienced this?

Does anyone on the net besides me have a PAL Amiga?

{PAL Amiga, how friendly can you get, buddy?}
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (01/08/88)

In article <2029@gryphon.CTS.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.UUCP writes:
>When we left Harv yesterday, he had posted some queries to Eric @ ASDG
>about how to convert various types of IFF pix to a format that Dropcloth2.0
>would like.  In the meantime, Harv asked some other folks, including
>... <stuff deleted>
>     Yes, I downloaded DropCloth and put it through it's paces.  I don't
>personally plan to use the program, but it _is_ cute and gives those
>arrogant Mac users something to think about.  I wish it would work
>automatically with interlaced Workbench -- currently it displays garbage on
>the bottom half of the screen if you try to dropcloth a 640x200 image on a
>640x400 Workbench.  Oh well, can't have everything, especially for free.

Harv and others trying to use the version of DropCloth I posted to
Comp.binaries.amiga:

My apologies all - I put in some last minute changes to DropCloth
before posting it without testing them first. As a result, there
are several bugs in the 2.2 binary. The Disk Icons will not be
correctly redrawn unless you specify a pattern to be drawn and
DropCloth attempts to ClipBlit a 640x200 image as a 640x400 image
in a 640x400 display (actually in any display larger than the image
size - it uses the size of the screen, not of the image for the
ClipBlit), thereby rendering garbage into the lower portion
of the display (640x400 images will work fine). I have a new version
of DropCloth ready that fixes these problems - I will be submitting
it to Comp.binaries.amiga and Fred Fish for distribution.

>So, Eric, I've pretty much answered my own question, but I'd still be
>interested in reading YOUR technique for creating Dropcloth-acceptable
>pictures, just to see how you did it with your sample pictures.

Sure thing - started up DPaint in 640x200x2 mode and loaded in some
pictures. I set the DPaint colors to be close to the default WorkBench
colors and saved the images (I may have done a little touch up on one
or two of them). Gee, and you went through all *that*! :-)

Glad you had fun with DropCloth...

Cheers,
Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu			 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric		  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (01/09/88)

In article <3330@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>My apologies all - I put in some last minute changes to DropCloth
>before posting it without testing them first. As a result, there
>are several bugs in the 2.2 binary. The Disk Icons will not be
>  [stuff deleted]
>of the display (640x400 images will work fine). I have a new version
>of DropCloth ready that fixes these problems - I will be submitting
>it to Comp.binaries.amiga and Fred Fish for distribution.

I believe the buggy version made it out on one of the disks in my
last batch (119-128; no I haven't posted the contents listing yet...) right
after the holidays, but I'll be glad to include the new one in the next
batch of disks.  Thanks!

<inews fodder>
<inews fodder>
<inews fodder>
<inews fodder>
<inews fodder>
<inews fodder>

-Fred

--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614
# Motorola Computer Division, 2900 S. Diablo Way, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

kjws@eagle.ukc.ac.uk (K.J.W.Smithers) (01/09/88)

In article <6479@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
>In article <263@draken.nada.kth.se> elin.lne.kth.se!NORDMARK@enea.UUCP writes:
>>There is a curious bug (feature?) which shows up about every 25th time I
>>boot up my PAL A2K: It configures for NTSC instead of PAL!
>>(Ever seen that CATS?) My ex-A1K suffered from the same thing.
>
>>  - Gunnar Nordmark -      elin.lne.kth.se!NORDMARK@enea.UUCP
>
>This is a new one...  I have been running a fake PAL amiga for several
>months (A PAL Agnus with an American Amiga).  I have never seen this problem,
>only thing that ever happens to me is the CLI sometimes only opens 40
>columns wide.  Has anyone besides Gunnar experienced this?
>
>Does anyone on the net besides me have a PAL Amiga?
>
>{PAL Amiga, how friendly can you get, buddy?}
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
>spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
>..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

	Not *NEW* I have had this problem too! Again both on my 1000 and 2000
The machine starts up with 200+morerows not 256+morerows wb screen. The only
other prolem I hve had with the PAL Agnus is on my 1000 (Fake PAL?) when
I had my 2-meg board (sold it) the sprites would get v.confused in the lines
201-255+ of the screen, I could click on a icon move the mouse and have a
pointer AND a Zzzz sprite. This only happened with the 2-meg board attached.
	Back to the problem with the startup only having 200 rows, I have been
unable to produce a sequence of actions to result in it. To date it happens
at unexpected moments and to attribute it to any action would only discover
what I use my Amiga for most.
	While on the subject of PAL screens would people please at least let
us use that xtra 56 lines! Thankyou to everyone who has supported PAL
although I suspect supporting MoreRows has something to do with it. Thankyou!

	Does anyone out there have a solution to my persisting prolem with
the CSA 68020 board and the A2090 harddisk. The DMA for the HD collides(?) with
the 68020 card and the task stops. Is there any chance that changing my
B2000 rev. 4 for a rev 4.2 will help? Is 4.3 out? apparently 4.3 finally gets
the timing signals on the bus (ZorroII and CPU slot) to the same specs as the
A2000 boards. I have asked before but I'm still looking for a solution
If anyone has any advice or can tell me of a HDisk they have which works with
the CSA board I would be grateful. I know CSA make a HD but I can't see
myself getting the most expensive HD on the market (ASDG rival claim?).

	Still trying to go fast and hard.

		Kit Smithers.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (01/21/88)

YES, the REV 4.3 boards are out! How do I know you ask???
My friend just got his A2000 and it HAD a REV 4.3 board! :> :> :>

        - Doug -

   Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.cup.com

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (01/24/88)

In article <2627@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Can I ask....Why would one want a PAL Amiga in the States????
>Just curious.....Is there an Advantage to having one???

I can think of one good reason: for testing software that you want
to market in Europe.  Actually, considering the piracy rate in
parts of Europe, maybe it's not such a good reason.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/24/88)

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:

>Can I ask....Why would one want a PAL Amiga in the States????
>Just curious.....Is there an Advantage to having one???
>

>        - Doug -
>

>   Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.cup.com

        Could it maybe be that they want to test there European bound software
before they ship it?

                                                        Wade 8-)

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM