[comp.sys.amiga] HELP! A2000 + NEC Multisync 2 troubles

rjg@tellab5.UUCP (Roger Gale) (01/23/88)

I recently purchased an Amiga 2000 and decided to buy a high quality RGB
monitor for it.  I created my own custom cable to connect the Amiga to a
NEC Multisync 2 monitor since this cable is not supplied (the NEC Multisync 2
is generally used on IBM PC's or IBM PS/2 computers).  The signals I used for
connecting the Amiga to the NEC monitor were the following: analog red,
analog green, analog blue, composite sync, and ground.

The problem I am having is that after the Multisync 2 monitor becomes warm
(20 minutes or so) the display begins to jitter up and down causing a double
image on the screen.  I have tried several A2000s with several Multisync 2's
and always get the same result so I don't think the problem involves faulty
equipment.  What really bothers me is that I have connected my Amiga with a
Multisync (original model) and have not seen this problem occur.  However,
NEC has discontinued this model, and I do prefer the Multisync 2 due to
it's improved control layout.  NEC claims that the new Multisync 2 is fully
compatible with the original model but obviously this is not so.  I feel
there must be a design flaw with the Multisync 2 because the display is fine
for the first 20 minutes or so, it is only after the monitor becomes warm
that it has problems.

Has anyone been able to get the Multisync 2 to work with the A2000?  If so,
could you please post an article on how to do this?  I'm afraid that
neither NEC or the people at CATS have been very helpful in helping me solve
this delema.  I've really been pulling my hair out trying to solve this
problem.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

					Roger Gale
					Tellabs Inc.
					Research and Development
					4979 Indiana Avenue
					Lisle, IL 60532

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (01/25/88)

In article <817@tellab5.UUCP> rjg@tellab5.UUCP (Roger Gale) writes:

<< parts deleted >>

> Has anyone been able to get the Multisync 2 to work with the A2000?  If so,
> could you please post an article on how to do this?  I'm afraid that
> neither NEC or the people at CATS have been very helpful in helping me solve
> this delema.  I've really been pulling my hair out trying to solve this
> problem.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> 					Roger Gale
> 					Tellabs Inc.
> 					Research and Development
> 					4979 Indiana Avenue
> 					Lisle, IL 60532

 Youmay have to adjust the Horizontal Sync Phase lock control closer to the
 15750 hz rate of the Amiga. I found this necessary with the NEC Multi-Sync
 Plus. Contact NEC for additional info.

   Rick Sterling             COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
                             UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling
  // /_ |\/||/_ /_           PHONE 215-431-9275
\X/ /  \|  ||\//  \          ` CALM DOWN ! It's only 1's and 0's ! '