[comp.sys.amiga] VDK: Alive after Kick!

jyouells@pnet02.cts.com (John Youells) (01/16/88)

  I had a very interesting thing happen yesterday. After work I turned the
monitor for the first time that day ( I leave my machine run 24 hrs a day) and
found myself face to face with the Kickstart prompt!  Figuring that there must
have been a power glitch I inserted Kickstart then Workbench - vdk: was still
alive !  About 1 meg's worth of files where still intact.  All I can figure is
that it must have been a very stort 'glitch'.  Has anyone else had this
happen?
  BTW, in testing Phil Staub's PSTransformer I found that vdk: will often
survive using the Transformer too. Thanks Phil - yes I use the Transformer,
for work related stuff, its slow but gets the job done. My system config: 3
megs ( 2 meg Allegra, 512k internal hack at $C00000 w/Haynie fix ) and 3
drives - 2 -3 1/4", 1 - 5 1/4".  Patiently waiting for Bryce's KickStart patch
for $C00000 memory destuctive testing - has anyone seen Transactor for the
Amiga yet?  (Yes, it is VDK: 1.0 - $10.00)

Thanks,

John Youells

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!jyouells
INET: jyouells@pnet02.cts.com

kip@wybbs.UUCP (Kip DeGraaf) (01/22/88)

In article <2172@gryphon.CTS.COM>, jyouells@pnet02.cts.com (John Youells) wrote
> found myself face to face with the Kickstart prompt!  Figuring that there
> had been a power glitch I inserted Kickstart then Workbench - vdk: was still
> alive !  About 1 meg's worth of files where still intact.  I figure
> that it must have been a very stort 'glitch'.
   I have had this happen with vd0: on a 4.5 meg system using a
2 meg vd0: drive.  I really wish I knew why the Amiga would throw
that kickstart prompt back up there occasionally.  Happens about
once every two months with me.  About 3/4 of the time the vd0:
survives too.

   Is Perry out there to hear this?

--
  Kip DeGraaf                Sorry no fancy signature,
  inhp4!killer!wybbs!kip         I'm only creative

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (01/25/88)

In article <255@wybbs.UUCP> kip@wybbs.UUCP (Kip DeGraaf) writes:

>I really wish I knew why the Amiga would throw
>that kickstart prompt back up there occasionally.  Happens about
>once every two months with me...

First off it has nothing to do with VD0:

It is a problem with your hardware.  Either something bad externally or
internally.  Crash to Kickstart is a common symptom of bad *OVR ram
boards.

You could have a service center connect the ground lines of the
following daugterboard PALs together:

	U6J	U6K	U6L	U6N

Use heavy wire.  This will probably fix your problem.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce (or try "cogsci")
 (")
  U	"All lawyers are slime" - Any Client

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (01/26/88)

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) wrote:
>> Amiga would throw that kickstart prompt back up there occasionally.
>
>It is a problem with your hardware.  Either something bad externally or

Maybe not.  I once had some code that stomped memory, produced lots
of pretty colors (aka FIREWORKS_MODE) then would ask for Kickstart.
I could get it to happen all the time.

It was a bug in my code which I got rid of eventually.  Now I wish I
still had it (the bug) around...

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I don't know such stuff.  I just do eyes."  -- from 'Blade Runner'