[comp.sys.amiga] Terrorpods

ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) (01/19/88)

I recently purchased a copy of Terrorpods for my 2000.  I was assured by
the salesman it would work on my 2000.  When I got back to school and tried
to play it, it wouldn't accept input from the keyboard, and you can't play
it without the keyboard.  Has anybody had this problem?  Do I just have a
buggy copy?  I saw it working just fine on a 500.

						Alexander Hinds

USENET:ahinds@hvrunix
BITNET:A_HINDS@HVRFORD

kirkb@pnet01.cts.com (Kirk Baker) (01/21/88)

{}

I have Terrorpods too, and it doesn't work on my 2000 either.  But, I have a
friend who has a 2000 with one of the new style keyboards and it works fine.
I have one of the old keyboards with the small function keys, and my friends'
has the wide function keys.
        There seems to be a correlation between the psygnosis games and the
older 2000's.  Barbarian doesn't work right either.  Is there a fix to the old
keyboard that allows these programs to work, or should we write Psygnosis and
hope for a new version?

--
Kirk Baker      {ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax}!crash!pnet01!kirkb
                (Don't use pnet01!kirkb; try crash!pnet01!kirkb -- Thanks!)

   I need more CHIMP ram.   Whaddya mean CHIMP ram?   CHIMP ram is the memory
that all of the Amiga's custom thingies get to monkey around with!

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (01/22/88)

in article <2388@crash.cts.com>, kirkb@pnet01.cts.com (Kirk Baker) says:

>         There seems to be a correlation between the psygnosis games and the
> older 2000's.  Barbarian doesn't work right either.  Is there a fix to the old
> keyboard that allows these programs to work, or should we write Psygnosis and
> hope for a new version?

It seems some, if not all, of the Psygnosis games bypass the OS and talk
directly to the keyboard.  The early A2000s had German keyboards.  They
speak with a German accent, which the OS understands clearly, but the
Psygnosis software obviously doesn't.  If they used the OS like good little
Psygnostics, this wouldn't have happened.  The best thing to do is to
contact them.  There's nothing you can do to the early keyboards, short
of replacing them, to get the Psygnosis games to work.  It's based on
implementation differences in the German keyboard.

I can understand some of these game companies bypassing some of the OS
(not that it's the correct to do, ever) to maybe push graphics or something
to it's limit.  But the keyboard?  That's already going faster than I can
type....

> Kirk Baker      {ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax}!crash!pnet01!kirkb
>                 (Don't use pnet01!kirkb; try crash!pnet01!kirkb -- Thanks!)
--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (01/22/88)

In article <3180@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

|I can understand some of these game companies bypassing some of the OS
|(not that it's the correct to do, ever) to maybe push graphics or something
|to it's limit.  But the keyboard?  That's already going faster than I can
|type....

I can think of a great reason to want to bypass that... keyboard.device does
a very long Disable().  Not nice for high speed serial work, for example.

A game writer often wants to "take over the machine" so "nobody and nothing
else will interfere".  I don't agree this is needed, but I can understand
the feeling.

Also, Live! has to do it's own keyboard stuff to keep up with it's funky
software fram grabbing.  At least they did it correctly... they got the
source to the keyreading from Commodore Technical Support.  This
avoids the trap Psygnosis fell into.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce (or try "cogsci")
 (")
  U	"As an engineer, I only set the value of a product... not the cost."
	-Bryce Nesbitt

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (01/26/88)

In article <22713@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>[]
>Also, Live! has to do it's own keyboard stuff to keep up with it's funky
>software fram grabbing.  At least they did it correctly... they got the
>source to the keyreading from Commodore Technical Support. ...

If they got source it was most likely while Amiga Live was a Commodore
product, and not from Commodore Technical Support.  In general, only
contractors who are developing something for CBM have a chance at getting
access to portions system source code under non-disclosure.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180