[comp.sys.amiga] Soundscape

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) (01/15/87)

	I would appreciate hearing from any musicians who have
used the new SOUNDSCAPE program from Mimetics.  From the review I
read (February 1987 ELECTRONIC MUSICIAN), it looks like the best
music program I have ever seen.

	Thanks!
--
  -- Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
			barrett@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa

ee173way@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (01/16/87)

  I've been using it for some time, it's ok.  Primarily I use it for
digitizing sound effects for a video game I am developing.

In article <4267@jhunix.UUCP> ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:

>	I would appreciate hearing from any musicians who have
>used the new SOUNDSCAPE program from Mimetics.  From the review I
>read (February 1987 ELECTRONIC MUSICIAN), it looks like the best
>music program I have ever seen.

I assume we're talking about the 'Pro MIDI Studio'.

Well, it's ok.  I have version 1.1, and when I call Mimetics they tell
me that the free upgrades to 1.3 (I believe) are coming RSN.

The version I have crashes a lot.  I think it's perhaps because of
running out of memory.  I've more recently upgraded to 1MB and it
dosen't crash quite as often, though it still crashes.  I've learned
to save a lot.

I've found it dosen't seem to like to 'extend' the length of a previously
recorded track if you want to add stuff and lengthen it later.  This has
proved to be a royal pain in the butt, though there may be a way to
do this reasonably that I just haven't had time to figure out yet.

I find the editing features pretty confusing.  They kind of relate
it to 'film' editing where you always have ahold of the start of
a 'scene'(?).  The problem  is, I don't always want to work with
the entire rest of the track, and would prefer to be able to specify
both the start and end points.  Apparently you have to do some pretty
tricky stuff to make it work.  I had a real hard time doing something
I thought ought to be pretty easy, i.e. I wanted to do a couple of
measures of a bass or drum (or both) track, and then replicate the
measures ad infinitum (ad boredom) so I didn't have to sit there and
play the darn things for a long time (and so I could edit one, and
have the changes duplicated for the entire track).  I suppose it's
pretty 'intuitive' if you think the right way (like the programmer
I guess) but I haven't yet figured out just how to think to 'intuit'
the job done.  And a film editor friend of mine hasn't been able to
shed any light on it either.  I've been hoping I can use Deluxe Music
Construction Set to help here. (or version 1.3?)

The copy protection has prohibited me from making a backup copy (at
least so far).

It seems to have most of the features I want from such a program, and
can import/export IFF SMUS which should allow use of Deluxe Music
Construction Set for music printing.

I hope the new version is more stable.

I do feel however, that the package would probably not compare favorably
with some of the better packages available for the MacIntosh.  This is
just a gut feel though.  I do have a friend who has a Mac and a couple
of the better packages, but really haven't sat down to a feature-for-
feature comparison.  And after all, the Mimetics 'Pro MIDI Studio' is
about half the price of the Mac packages I'm talking about. (unless you
add the cost of the developers kit).

As far as I know, it is not only the best, but the ONLY MIDI recorder-
type package available for the Amiga.  It supports 16 tracks, midi in
and out, supports internal sampling sounds, has a 'modular' approach
and a 'patch panel' that allows you to interconnect the modules together,
and you can get the Mimetics 'developers kit' for $150 that gives you
specs on how to write your own modules and data on the various file
formats so you can hack on them.

I'd like to hack out a Soundfile cut and paste program that allows
me to assemble samples from several previously saved sample files
into a single 'instrument' in the SoundScape format, which is
infinitely more practical than using the idiotic IFF format which
likes to force each octave sample to be half the size of the previous
octave sample.  Unfortunately, I must spend $150, or a lot of time
looking at hex dumps to figure out the SoundScape file format in
order to implement such a hack.  Oh well, maybe version 1.3 already
has this feature.

I'm not sorry I bought SoundScape, (as I was when I bought DeluxeVideo)
and it does do the job (when it's not crashing) but I'm not ready to say
it's the best thing since sliced bread etc.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/28/88)

        I saw a friend use Soundscape recently and it looked to be a fine
product.  I was able to see what was going on quite clearly even though I'd
not seen the program used before.  I't had a number of nice functions.

                                                        Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM