[comp.sys.amiga] Manx 3.6 + SDB, my story.

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/18/88)

I called them about a week ago, and they said thay were going to start
shipping 3.6 Thursday.  This means that unless they lied, they have been
shipping for 2 business days as of today.

They said that if I wanted 3.6 soon, for me to give them my serial number
and I would be placed on their "priority list".

"OK"

They said please send $50 for SDB because it is bundled with 3.6.

I said "WHAT?!!??"

The guy mumbled on how they figured everyone would want SDB so they made
it part of 3.6.

I said "Look here. I have a commercial license that says I get a free
year of updates. I can't budget $50 for a debugger right now, and my
commercial license is probably going to run out before I can.  I'd like
to get what I paid for, please."

"Ok, let me talk to the manager and see if I can send you 3.6 without
the debugger.".  Two minutes go by.  He says that ok, they'll send me
3.6 after all.

This is the second time I have had to haggle with them to get things done.
They have a great product, and their managers will move mountains if you
bleed all over them, but I think that too many people at Manx must have
their heads up their ass.

My opinion.

Sean

--
--  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitneT
--  (the Empire guy)         {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (01/19/88)

In article <8054@g.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

> I said "Look here. I have a commercial license that says I get a free
> year of updates. I can't budget $50 for a debugger right now, and my
> commercial license is probably going to run out before I can.  I'd like
> to get what I paid for, please."
>
> "Ok, let me talk to the manager and see if I can send you 3.6 without
> the debugger.".  Two minutes go by.  He says that ok, they'll send me
> 3.6 after all.
>
> This is the second time I have had to haggle with them to get things done.
> They have a great product, and their managers will move mountains if you
> bleed all over them, but I think that too many people at Manx must have
> their heads up their ass.

While I'd like for Manx to send me SDB at no charge, it really doesn't
bother me a whole lot to pay something extra for it, since it is a "value
added" (optional) feature of their package.  I'm also pleased that they
are giving their existing customers a 33% discount on SDB ($50 vs. $75).

What really *does* piss me off, is their changing the definition of their
various packages.  Specifically, eliminating the "Commercial" package, which
provided the library sources.  Now, to get the library sources, one has to
pay some outrageous price for them ... $300, I think!

I purchased the Commercial Manx package almost a year ago (March, '87).
Because of the foulup with the v3.40b release, and the "imminent release"
of 3.6 in Aug/Sept '87, I have yet to receive *any* update from Manx.  And
my "year's worth of free updates" is almost up.  And (assuming I actually
do get 3.6 RSN) the new release won't be the same level of product that I
originally purchased (no lib sources).

So I really wonder ... just what in hell did I really get for the extra $100
I paid Manx?  Guess I'll try haggling with them about this when/if 3.6 ever
shows up ...

Helluva way to run a business!  Helluva way to treat your customers!

/kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/21/88)

        When I first got MANX C, back in May I believe, I received the
Commercial version 3.20a, which needed some patches to work.  In fact,
the compiler would not compile even the "hello" program as it came, following
the instructions EXACTLY.  Well, I tried the manx tech support number but
first got static because they'd not received my registration (it was in the
mail) and then I could get no answer on the phone for almost a week.  When
they reappeared the first refused to admit the problem (over a week), then
sent me some patches to type in at the keyboard.  These did not work either,
and before I resolved this I received version 3.40a.  This had bugs as well.

        After I finally got everything working properly I was asked to beta
test Benchmark Modula-2.  I've not ecountered a single significant bug since
that time (late July), 6 months to date.  The system is easy to use, and very
clean.  Why isn't there a "C" compiler/environment that is as good?

        I could not imagine going back to Manx C.

                                                        Thanks,

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) (01/22/88)

In article <21036@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> of 3.6 in Aug/Sept '87, I have yet to receive *any* update from Manx.
> And my "year's worth of free updates" is almost up.  And (assuming I actually
> do get 3.6 RSN) the new release won't be the same level of product that I
> originally purchased (no lib sources).

After reading this, I called Manx's Upgrade dept [(201) 389-0290] and
spoke to a man who identified himself as "Roosevelt".  He assured me that
(as a commercial owner) I *would* get the 3.6 library source.

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (01/28/88)

Just spoke with the Aztec folks (06:30 01/28/88, CA time).  The lady on
the phone said, in no uncertain terms, that they were going to begin
shipment on Monday.  It would ship without documentation but they would
include a demo to show you how to use it.  The doc, she said, would follow
in short order.
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]