[comp.sys.amiga] Killer demo sources, other ddemos

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (01/26/88)

In article <1045@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
>They were collectively playing Leisure Suit Larry, the
>Best Game in the Universe, and getting a look at the machine

True enough, it is a great game.  Too bad about the C64-style
graphics.  Oh well, least common denominator, eh?

>Anybody got something ftp-able? I have given up on ssyx.ucsc.edu
>as unreachable. So killer demos are out.

Well, there are other sources for the Killer Demos.  Try
swan.ulowell.edu [129.63.224.1] in the ~ftp/amiga directory.  Also,
sushi.stanford.edu has them in the directory "<bkdc>" (it's a DEC20,
not running Unix).

>Or, can anybody point me at a real super-duper
>hack that is in a reachable place?

If you can get a hold of it, I recommend the NewTek DemoReel disks.
These are a self-running system with great stereo music and sound
effects, tons of graphics (synchronized to the music) and neato visual
effects and animation.  The demo runs around 7 minutes and is wildly
impressive (especially with stereo headphones on).  The only problem
is the only way to stop the demo is to reboot.  Still, I've never seen
a more impressive demonstartion of the Amiga's potential as a
graphics, sound, or presentation machine.

Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu    ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz
"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the only misfortune is to do it
 solemnly"   --Michel de Montaigne

jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) (01/28/88)

>These are a self-running system with great stereo music and sound
>effects, tons of graphics (synchronized to the music) and neato visual
>effects and animation.  The demo runs around 7 minutes and is wildly
>impressive (especially with stereo headphones on).  The only problem
>is the only way to stop the demo is to reboot.  Still, I've never seen
>a more impressive demonstartion of the Amiga's potential as a
>graphics, sound, or presentation machine.
>
>Be seeing you...
>--Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu    ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz

You don't have to reboot.  In the last screen, before the demo starts to
repeat, all you have to do is move the mouse pointer to the upper left
corner of the screen and click.  This always brings me back to the Workbench.

Thought you might like to know.

Jim Garrison
"I know you think you understand what I said, but what I said is not what I
 meant."

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (01/28/88)

in article <2544@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) says:
> If you can get a hold of it, I recommend the NewTek DemoReel disks.
> These are a self-running system with great stereo music and sound
> effects, tons of graphics (synchronized to the music) and neato visual
> effects and animation.  The demo runs around 7 minutes and is wildly
> impressive (especially with stereo headphones on).  The only problem
> is the only way to stop the demo is to reboot.  Still, I've never seen
                                         ^^^^^^
Nope, there is an invisible kill gadget in the usual place (upper left
corner). Just click there a few times until it exits.

> a more impressive demonstartion of the Amiga's potential as a
> graphics, sound, or presentation machine.

Yes, it's a real dazzler, if you don't have it, get it!

By the way, the tune it plays is "Paranoimia" by Art of Noise (I think
that's the band). It was used as the tune for a Max Headroom video a
while back. This tune drove me nuts for about a week, until someone
reminded me where I'd heard it before.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne