[comp.sys.amiga] About Software Piracy!

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/04/88)

        I am sorry to all those whom I have offended by suggesting
      that software piracy was unusually high in the Amiga Market.

        Software piracy is rampant throughout the home and buisness
      markets!

        Why has't some provision to protect software been included in
      the hardware?  Does C= think protectable software would hurt the
      Amiga in some way?

                                                Thanks,

                                                        Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/04/88)

In article <2258@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>        Why has't some provision to protect software been included in
>      the hardware?  Does C= think protectable software would hurt the
>      Amiga in some way?

Commodore would do well to think that hardware protection would hurt their
market.  Then, people like me wouldn't buy their machines.  Would you?

Sean

--
--  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@UKMA.BITNET
--  (the Empire guy)         {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean

In article <2258@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:

>         Why has't some provision to protect software been included in
>       the hardware?  Does C= think protectable software would hurt the
>       Amiga in some way?

Ok, you're on...

What precisely is it that we should be doing in the hardware?

Remember:

1) The software has to somehow interact with the hardware "protection"
   and the crackers can bypass that check as easily as any other.

2) The hardware serialization scheme has drawbacks in that either it's
   too easy to change the serial, or too hard wherein you get scewed if
   you change machines.

3) The consumer software licences are generally oriented towards a user
   and his machine, not some specific machine.

4) Most software vendors/distributors aren't willing to undergo the expense
   of diskette serialization/encryption or any scheme whereby the consumer
   must call in with the serial number and receive a key.

5) No matter how detailed and devious the protection, the benefit lasts
   only until a cracked, unprotected version starts doing the rounds.

Please, there are no simple solutions to the copy protection/piracy issues
or you could be sure that IBM would have implemented them on the PS/2 series.
There is an underlying social problem in that significant percentage of
computer users do not respect the software provider's view of value and
intellectual property.  Unless you can provide some adjustment of this
situation you are stuck with various accommodations and stategems.

BTW, I've arrived at the conclusion, that by reimplementing the Amiga and
omitting RAM and using cheap, read-only disk drives, the virus problem
can be eliminated and all Amiga owners will be safe and content ever-after!

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>In article <2258@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>        Why has't some provision to protect software been included in
>>      the hardware?  Does C= think protectable software would hurt the
>>      Amiga in some way?
>
>Commodore would do well to think that hardware protection would hurt their
>market.  Then, people like me wouldn't buy their machines.  Would you?
>
>Sean

          Why wouldn't you buy a system that supported some kinda of
       hardware protection?

          Lets suppose that the machine had a port on it made for a
       dongle, and that multiple dongles could be stacked upon one
       another.  The software publisher then buys a dongle assignment
       from the manufacturer (maybe recieves the dongles and an encoder
       program from them).
          To run the software you must have the dongle.  The computer
       manufacture could make the dongles expensive to copy in small
       quantities so that few would consider breaking the system through
       hardware.

          Assuming this would be feasible (I have not really thought it
       all the way through) it would mean

                A) cheaper software - because theft would be less of a
                                        factor

                        and

                B) more software -  because the buying market would be
                                        bigger.

        Both of which, in my mind, would be benificial.  Also, no one
        would have to protect their software, so PD/PA would still be
        as it is.

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (01/05/88)

In article <2266@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>          Lets suppose that the machine had a port on it made for a
>       dongle, and that multiple dongles could be stacked upon one
>       another.  The software publisher then buys a dongle assignment
>       from the manufacturer (maybe recieves the dongles and an encoder
>       program from them).
>          To run the software you must have the dongle.  The computer
>       manufacture could make the dongles expensive to copy in small
>       quantities so that few would consider breaking the system through
>       hardware.

I've used software that required a dongle.  I'm not sure I'd ever consider
buying such a package again.  The dongle in question:

   a)  Used one of my only two serial ports,
   b)  Required its own power supply, and
   c)  Had to be replaced several times due to malfunction.

After several months of suffering with the thing, I went into DEBUG and
patched it so it never looked for the dongle again.

At his point, I would not use a package requiring a dongle unless:

   a) It did not make any of my hardware useless (like taking up a serial
      port),
   b) Did not require any external power,
   c) If it were to break, the vendor guarantees that I will have a new
      one "absolutely, positively overnight",
   d) The vendor guarantees that their dongle will not interfere with
      any other vendors, so that I may run as many dongle-protected
      packages as I want, simultaneously, and
   e) There was a patch that could be applied to run the software without
      the dongle, which would be provided to me by the vendor if they
      ever went out of business or something like that.

--Pat.

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/05/88)

>In article <3072@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>>[part of one of my postings]
>>         Why has't some provision to protect software been included in
>>       the hardware?  Does C= think protectable software would hurt the
>>       Amiga in some way?
>
>Ok, you're on...
>
>What precisely is it that we should be doing in the hardware?

	  I was thinking of factory dongles.  A slot on the front of
	the machine into which dongles could be inserted, preferably
	stacked upon one another, up to some limit (say 8).  Then C=
	(or whoever) would provide "factory dongles" to the software
	publisher.  Because of the volume the manufacturer could do
	this at a lower price than anyone else.

>Remember:
>
>1) The software has to somehow interact with the hardware "protection"
>   and the crackers can bypass that check as easily as any other.

	  Rather than checking something, I was thinking it would use
	the hardware.  Perhaps the dongle would be required to decode
	instructions, or return needed functional results, or ???
	A number of games could be played with the read/write status
	of the pins, or sequencing of input/output, etc...

>2) The hardware serialization scheme has drawbacks in that either it's
>   too easy to change the serial, or too hard wherein you get scewed if
>   you change machines.

	  I'm not terribly in favor of serialization, but it would still
	be nice if it were there for the publisher to use if they wished.
	Not having it leaves no option but not to incorporate it.

>3) The consumer software licences are generally oriented towards a user
>   and his machine, not some specific machine.

	  With a dongle, you could switch machines.

>4) Most software vendors/distributors aren't willing to undergo the expense
>   of diskette serialization/encryption or any scheme whereby the consumer
>   must call in with the serial number and receive a key.

	  If serialization were provided, publisers/vendors/distrubutors
	would not be required to utilize it.  Likewise, if a factory
	dongle solution were used, it would constitute an option, not
	a requirment.

>5) No matter how detailed and devious the protection, the benefit lasts
>   only until a cracked, unprotected version starts doing the rounds.

	  Yes, but if it is expensive or extremely time consuming to
	crack a program, it is less likely to be done.  With a dongle
	the number of people who would attempt cracking the protection
	would be limited to those with specialized equiptment.  Since
	there is not a lot of profit potential in this it would not
	be so likely to happen.

	  Furthermore, if done correctly, a program could notice if it
	were operating without it's dongle and subtly torpedo the pirate.
	Perhaps waiting until a choice moment to strike, kind of like a
	virus.  In this way, a pirated dongle-protected program would be
	a risk to use for anything serious.  Confidence in the cracker
	would be required, and since most people wouldn't know who did
	the cracking...

>Please, there are no simple solutions to the copy protection/piracy issues
>or you could be sure that IBM would have implemented them on the PS/2 series.
>There is an underlying social problem in that significant percentage of
>computer users do not respect the software provider's view of value and
>intellectual property.  Unless you can provide some adjustment of this
>situation you are stuck with various accommodations and stategems.

	  I did not mean to imply that it was a simple problem.  But
	I am sure that relying on peoples' "honesty" will not work.

	  I have a friend at C= (they call him "Mr. Commodore")
	who was talking of offering rewards for info leading to the
	conviction of "Pirate BBS's".  This also seems like a partial
	solution.  Have you heard anything about this?

						Thanks,

							  Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

shah1@houxa.UUCP (J.SHAH) (01/05/88)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
There have been a number of advocates of hardware copy protection schemes
on this group. May be these are SW developers who do not care
how user friendly their product is; to them protection is the only game
in town. Protection schemes make software very unfriendly (even the
software you buy legally). Why should I be encumbered with these schemes
after paying a reasonable amount of money for acquiring your software.
Besides there will always be a way to break copy protection schemes. C-64
software vendors used dongles (Batteries Included for example) but only
to find out that some hardworking hackers produced a freely copyable version
of their heavyly protected software. I have seen hardware devices that
assist in the copying of protected software ( Snapshot, and Icepic for the
C-64). In the IBM world there are programs (Copywrit, Copyiipc, and
Unlock) which copy 99% of the copy protected software. THe vendors of these
IBM-PC products allow you to copy their own products. IN the AMIGA world, some
of the copying software vendors are hypocritical e.g. you can use Marauder II
to copy everybody elses product except theirs e.g. it would not copy some
of the Discovery products.

Most of the software in the IBM world is not copy protected and the software
vendors are still making money. Most of the good C-64 software is copy
protected but the programs like Fasthack'em have made the protection
schemes useless. My main point is protection will be always be broken.
Copy protection never ensures software revenue protection.

Some people have hinted that A500 users are the real culprits. That is pure
nonsense. The suggestion that the elite A1000 and A2000 community never
copied each others software is as realistic as the fact that the sole use
of Marauder II is to backup your own legal software. What this people
are saying is like ensuring the honesty and integrity of a large group
of people. With the availability of A500 the software market for AMIGA
has expanded and now vendors should be able to sell good software at a
reasonable price. Suggesting that A500 owners are pirates (and the An000 owners
are not) is like saying that all Cadillac owners obey all the traffic
regulations but the chevy owners do not. Honesty is not a function of what
you own. This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard on the
net.

Do not get me wrong. I am emphatetic to software developers. Every body has a
right to enjoy the fruit of their labor. Copy protection is not the solution.
They would have to learn how to do better marketing, to provide better
product support, offer frequent upgrades, crisp documentation, and above all
sell software at c-64 software price level.

Large scale software piracy in the IBM or C64 world has not hurt the sales
of the respective vendors and so why should they worry about it. The
solution to software piracy should
be a partnership of the software vendors and end users based on mutual
needs, trust, and general goodwill.

Shah Jahan
AT&T Bell Labs

Disclaimer: These are strictly personal opinions and are in noway endorsed
by AT&T Bell Laboratories.

bishop@skat.usc.edu (Brian Bishop) (01/07/88)

In article <2273@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:

>	  Furthermore, if done correctly, a program could notice if it
>	were operating without it's dongle and subtly torpedo the pirate.
>	Perhaps waiting until a choice moment to strike, kind of like a
>	virus.  In this way, a pirated dongle-protected program would be
>	a risk to use for anything serious.  Confidence in the cracker
>	would be required, and since most people wouldn't know who did
>	the cracking...

  BZZT! First off...I immediately question the wisdom of creating something
"kind of like a virus". The creator of the (first) virus claims he meant no
harm. Look what happened. Now we will create a virus that will only harm a
certain set of people. Think about it. Think about how well some copy
protection works today (like Garrison, for instance). I don't find it at all
far-fetched that some innocent people would be hurt, and I, for one, would not
use such a setup.

>	  I have a friend at C= (they call him "Mr. Commodore")
>	who was talking of offering rewards for info leading to the
>	conviction of "Pirate BBS's".  This also seems like a partial
>	solution.  Have you heard anything about this?

   This seems like a much better solution to me. In a court of law you have
to prove your accusations. A copy protection scheme that subtly destroys your
work when it decides you are guilty does not appeal to me. (The Wyatt Earp
dongle!)

    Brian Bishop

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: About Software Piracy!
soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Chong L Soo) (01/07/88)

In article <1962@houxa.UUCP> shah1@houxa.UUCP (J.SHAH) writes:

>Some people have hinted that A500 users are the real culprits. That is pure
>nonsense. The suggestion that the elite A1000 and A2000 community never
>copied each others software is as realistic as the fact that the sole use
>of Marauder II is to backup your own legal software.
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly what I use it for.

Chong Soo (Amiga nut)			   soo@beach.cis.ufl.edu
			ARPANET/INTERNET   soo%ufcsg.ufl.edu@relay.cs.net
			BITNET		   soo%ufcsg.ufl.edu%relay.cs.net@wiscvm

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (01/08/88)

In article <1962@houxa.UUCP>, shah1@houxa.UUCP (J.SHAH) writes:
> software you buy legally). Why should I be encumbered with these schemes
> after paying a reasonable amount of money for acquiring your software.
> Besides there will always be a way to break copy protection schemes. C-64
> software vendors used dongles (Batteries Included for example) but only
> to find out that some hardworking hackers produced a freely copyable version
> of their heavyly protected software. I have seen hardware devices that
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> assist in the copying of protected software ( Snapshot, and Icepic for the

	If a person BUYS a copy of program X and then downloads a copy of
	program X that is not copyprotected from a hacker's BBS to use on a
	harddisk or for making backups, is he still considered a pirate?
Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (01/09/88)

> Large scale software piracy in the IBM or C64 world has not hurt the sales
> of the respective vendors and so why should they worry about it.

What you mean is that in spite of the major level of piracy, enough people
buy software that software companies can continue to make a profit.  If
there were no illegal copying, the market would be maybe five times larger,
and there would be more competitive products and a higher general quality
level, since a given level of effort would pay off five times as much.

> The solution to software piracy should be a partnership of the software
> vendors and end users based on mutual needs, trust, and general goodwill.

But users do not show honesty or goodwill.

> Shah Jahan
> AT&T Bell Labs

A serial-number based software protection scheme does not need to be user
unfriendly.  Disks containing serialized software are freely copyable and do
not need to be damaged, since it is the software that is encoded or
protected, not the disk.  A user can make infinite backups, can keep the
software on any media s/he chooses, and can even move it to another machine
if s/he can move the serial number.  This is no more user unfriendly than
the license plate on every automobile.  Perhaps computers should be licensed
by the state, the way cars are, and serial encodings made standard.  This
would not eliminate theft, but it would make theft more heinous, more
obvious to parents of teen hackers and the computer illiterate masses, and
generally put things in the perspective of familiar day-to-day things.

AACCKK!  What am I saying?  State regulation of computation?  Big Brother
watching my private use of data?  Herasy!  But it might happen, and it would
be effective.  Consider this a prediction of the future, say 20 years from now.

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/09/88)

bishop@skat.usc.edu (Brian Bishop) writes:
>In article <2273@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>
>>	  Furthermore, if done correctly, a program could notice if it
>>	were operating without it's dongle and subtly torpedo the pirate.
>>	Perhaps waiting until a choice moment to strike, kind of like a
>>	virus.  In this way, a pirated dongle-protected program would be
>>	a risk to use for anything serious.  Confidence in the cracker
>>	would be required, and since most people wouldn't know who did
>>	the cracking...
>>

>  BZZT! First off...I immediately question the wisdom of creating something
>"kind of like a virus". The creator of the (first) virus claims he meant no
>harm. Look what happened. Now we will create a virus that will only harm a
>certain set of people. Think about it. Think about how well some copy
>protection works today (like Garrison, for instance). I don't find it at all
>far-fetched that some innocent people would be hurt, and I, for one, would not
>use such a setup.

        This would be virus-like in that it would run "underneath" the
main program logic.  However, it would have no reproductive capability,
and it would only damage data relevant to the progam it is protecting,
and only when it determines no dongle is present or that an attempt to
by-pass the dongle chech had been installed.

        Since the dongle would be a factory item, why worry about its
failing?  There are any number of parts of our systems that can fail
at any time and cause the reliablility problems anyway.

        If a program such as WordPerfect were protected in this manner,
they could sell it for half, maybe a third of what it currently sells for.
Sure, some of the people who would pirate it would not pay for it even at
the lower price, but many would.  And we could expect better support for
the product because there would be a bigger (paying) customer base, and
more profit potential, and more threat of competition.

        I once had a job with an engineering/manufacturing company I'll not
name because I don't want to get dragged into court (and have no supporting
evidence anyway).  My bosses wife's work purchased WordPerfect.  She photo
copied the manule and he showed up with it at work.  He made a copy for the
company V.P. and the technical service rep., and who knows who else.  I've
seen a few other cases of this type of thing and it makes me sick!

        Is there a technical difficulty in implementing a dongle such as
I've described?  I am not a hardware engineer so maybe I've made a mistake.
If so would someone please explain?

In article <1356@vaxwaller.UUCP> (Rich Commins) writes:
>  If a person BUYS a copy of program X and then downloads a copy of
>  program X that is not copyprotected from a hacker's BBS to use on a
>  harddisk or for making backups, is he still considered a pirate?

This sounds like one of those philosophical questions that one can argue
so easily both ways. Technically, when you download the program you are
receiving stolen goods, which is a criminal offense in the U.S. of A.
On the other hand, the manufacturer has not 'lost' anything because
you did indeed buy the product from him. So morally, I think you could
get away with this (at least it wouldn't bother me. :-)). But on a more
realistic note, with all the discussions about digital social diseases,
would you trust a program if you didn't know where it lost it's virginity?
[Are analogies great? :-) ]

--Chuck McManis

In article <2615@fluke.COM> kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) writes:
>AACCKK!  What am I saying?  State regulation of computation?  Big Brother
>watching my private use of data?  Herasy!  But it might happen, and it would
>be effective.  Consider this a prediction of the future, say 20 years from now.

Well, I thought of something that might help cut down some of the pirating
stuff, but I am not sure it is feasible. It seems to me that pirate copies
of software propogate in two ways, though pirate clubs, and on pirate bbs'.
Now, it is well known that these two are related as well. My idea is that
if we can shut down the pirate BBSes then we will have made a good step
toward reducing the problem. What we need is incentive and a neighborhood
watch program. It works like this ...

The government offers a reward of $2000 for information leading to the
arrest and conviction of a software pirate. There is a confidential hotline
one could call if they had discovered or knew of a pirate bbs. The
authorities log in, (and this is the hard part), determine if gross pirating
is going on. This could be done either by signing up as an interested user
or by monitoring the phone line. If they determine that the board is indeed
a pirate bbs, they charge the miscreant slime with using the phone system
to run an illegal business or something. Grand Larceny also comes to mind
since they total software pirated may be over $5000. They convict the
kid, and *as a minimum* confiscate all of the computer equipment used.
And optionally, fine him. In addition, they leave the parents liable for
damages from the software companies!

Before you implement this law/activity you have a 6 month campaign of
ad's telling people a) it is illegal to give copies of commercial
software to anyone without permission of the author, and b) Tell
the parents that if their kid is found to be running a BBS with their
computer that *they* will be held liable so watch out. Then do it.

--Chuck McManis

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (01/10/88)

I want to put in my two cents worth on piracy, and then fade away -
it's an issue that will probably never be resolved, certainly not
in this forum.

It seems to me (and always has, through almost 10 years in the
microcomputer software business) that the evil piracy does to the
software industry is wildly overblown.  Nobody has yet been able
to show me any sort of real figures which indicate the real harm
piracy does to the industry; generally, companies are much too
busy being paranoid about piracy to do anything as simple as an
in-depth study of the situation.  It's just taken as a given that
piracy is everywhere, and is a severe threat to the economic
health of the software industry.

I would put only one question to everyone:  if piracy is such a
threat, why is it that the company which produces (arguably) the
single most pirated product in the industry, Lotus, is also one
of the top money-makers in the industry, second only (in some
years) to Microsoft?  How could it have been that the first micro-
computer game I ever wrote (the Apple ][ version of Epyx's Temple
of Apshai) brought in enough money over the course of four years
to provide me with thousands of dollars in royalties (at a low, low
royalty rate, mind you - this was only a port) and to allow Epyx to
expand from its former two-room offices to a large building, hiring
between five and seven people in the process?  Especially since this,
too, was widely pirated?

Piracy is everywhere.  This is granted, along with the assumption
that piracy represents theft and lost sales.  My point is that
the amount of time, energy, and talent spent on various methods
for defeating piracy have only cost the company that time, energy
and talent - they haven't stopped piracy, and they probably never
will.  I have yet to see a situation where piracy has resulted in
a company going under, and have yet to see a software developer
come up with a truly outstanding concept they didn't sell because
of piracy.  And make a lot of money doing it, sometimes.

If the only goal of a software company is to get the maximum number
of dollars from the public, then piracy is a big issue.  If the goal
is to produce the best possible software, then it becomes only another
entry in the long list of things which affect sales efficiency, and
not one to worry about.  I say this:  write the best possible software
you can.  Make it original, make it useful, and make it work.  If you
do that, and have a decent marketing staff, it'll sell, and you'll
make money.  Don't worry about the pirates; devote that energy to
making your software even better.  You'll win in the long run, and
what the hell difference does it really make if some unscrupulous
and/or immature folk out there get a freebie?  Maybe, in the worst
case, there are more dishonest folk than honest out there.  It doesn't
matter a whit - you will survive, and, given some talent and luck,
even thrive.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (01/10/88)

>>In article <2273@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>>	  Furthermore, if done correctly, a program could notice if it
>>>	were operating without it's dongle and subtly torpedo the pirate.

You would trust some anonymous programmer to do that? Remember this is the
Amiga we're talking about... do we really want to have Workbench unloaded
from Kickstart to make room for ReadDongle()? From the furor that resulted
over peeking the joystick locations(1), I wouldn't want to be the one trying to
program it in a friendly, multitasking atmosphere (LockDongleRom()?
AllocDongle()?).

--
(1) I won't mention how I sometimes read a chip location for a simple & fast
random number. Just for my own use though. Anyone else notice RangeRand returns

True story-

Me showing a potential customer a calculator program for the C64, from
Pioneer Software (booting from the original disk, of course):

"The reason the words 'SECURITY VIOLATION' are flashing all over the screen,
 and the program is locked up, is... ah..."

Didn't sell it. I believe it went in the trash.

John
--
"She's sort of a 'pit baby', with interlocking jaws. We feed her on chicken
parts."

In article <2308@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>        If a program such as WordPerfect were protected in this manner,
>they could sell it for half, maybe a third of what it currently sells for.

One of the most common misconceptions around is that, if there were
simply no more software piracy, software prices would be only (half,
one-third, one percent) of what they are now.  This is simply untrue.
The experience of the software industry has shown, time and time again,
that the most elaborate protection schemes have little effect on the
number of copies of a program which is sold.  What little real evidence
there is, in fact, seems to show that if a program is protected, and
subsequently sold in an unprotected version, sales will actually
increase, which would indicate that piracy alone cannot account for
sales figure decreases.  If WordPerfect were protected with a dongle,
I would expect sales to actually decrease, rather than triple.  Most
of the users of WP, just like most users of most sophisticated software,
will not put up with the inconvenience, hassle, and just plain unreliability
of dongle-protected software, and especially not when there are other
alternatives available without the associated problems.

--

ccplumb@watmath.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (01/12/88)

In article <4362@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:
>In article <2273@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>	  Furthermore, if done correctly, a program could notice if it
>>	were operating without it's dongle and subtly torpedo the pirate.
>
>True story-
>
>Me showing a potential customer a calculator program for the C64, from
>Pioneer Software (booting from the original disk, of course):
>
>"The reason the words 'SECURITY VIOLATION' are flashing all over the screen,
> and the program is locked up, is... ah..."
>
>Didn't sell it. I believe it went in the trash.

It's like a story I once heard about Microsoft.  May be apocryphal, but
could easily happen.

Once, a junior programmer put a routine into the copy protection
Microsoft used in all its products.  It printed a `cute' message when
it detected it was being booted from a crudely copied disk.

Then, one day, a legitimate and naive user of some program got a
damaged master disk.  He tried to boot with this thing, and the copy
protection didn't find the proper magic sector or whatever.

On the screen appeared:

	The tree of evil bears bitter fruit.

	Now trashing program disk.

It didn't actually *do* anything, but, since the disk was bad, it
seemed like it had carried out its threat.  Boom!  Microsoft now
has one *very* irate ex-customer.

Now can you imagine this happening with a virus?  Like the ProLok people
once threatened?  Disclaimer or no, they're gonna end up in court.

Let's keep this silliness with IBM, where it belongs.
--
	-Colin (ccplumb@watmath)

itkin@stsci.EDU (Elliot Itkin) (01/12/88)

Concerning dongle required software that destroys itself (or more):

1)  If it destroyed more than itself, the company may be liable for damages.
2)  What about the poor guy who forgot to put in his dongle?
3)  Or someone like me, with a 2.5 year-old who can't stay away from my
computer while I'm at work, who slightly jars it so a pin or two is un-
connected that I don't notice.

Wouldn't it be better for the software merely to say,  "Unauthorized
use, no dongle" and stop executing?

POINT:

A lot of piracy will go away when the Amiga becomes primarily an
end-user product.  Most end-users do not want to play with copying
etc.  They go to the computer store, buy the H/W and S/W that does what
they want. They don't know about clubs, BBS's, networks, etc.  After
all, imagine you just spent $3000 for a machine.  You will use that
machine to make $10,000 a month.  How much effort will you go to to
save $50 on software?  And that's assuming they even know they can.
--
Elliot S. Itkin       Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, MD 21218
                      UUCP:   {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!stsci!itkin

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (01/12/88)

In article <1356@vaxwaller.UUCP> (Rich Commins) writes:
>  If a person BUYS a copy of program X and then downloads a copy of
>  program X that is not copyprotected from a hacker's BBS to use on a
>  harddisk or for making backups, is he still considered a pirate?

Well, back when I was using Apple-2s an, um, friend of mine bought Wizardry.
It didn't last long. The copy protection scheme was so tight that the
master disk just stopped working after a while. Made Silent Service look like
a wimp :->.

Anyway, after getting the disk replaced it died again. My, um, friend got
a broken version of the disk with no copy protection. Worked fine... much
more reliable than the original.

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (01/13/88)

>You would trust some anonymous programmer to do that? Remember this is the
>Amiga we're talking about...

	It seems to me that this has already been done before, with
disasterous results.  A few years back some programmer (at a LARGE
software house) got a little disgruntled with pirates and put some
code into the program to see if the version had been copied.  If the
program determined that it was pirated, then it would trash your disk.
The only problem was the program started doing this on disks that were
NOT priated, which got many a legitamate customer angry.  Imagine your
horror when, all of a sudden, the program (upon bootup) thinks your
disk is illegal and then destroys itself and all of your work.

	I also remember seeing a compatibility test (to see how
compatible a certain clone was to true IBM PC's) where the reviewer
put in a legitimate version of the above mentioned software, got the
message that disk was about to be erased, and quickly removed the floppy
before it was erased.  Pretty good compatibility test!

							-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/13/88)

In article <300@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) writes:
>	It seems to me that this has already been done before, with
>disasterous results.  A few years back some programmer (at a LARGE
>software house) got a little disgruntled with pirates and put some
>code into the program to see if the version had been copied.  If the
>program determined that it was pirated, then it would trash your disk.

I don't remember the exact software involved, but Microsoft had something
like this happen a couple of years back.  Quite a few people got trashed
disks.

Sean
--
--  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitneT
--  (the Empire guy)         {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean
--  University of Kentucky in Lexington Kentucky, USA
--  "If something can go will, it wrong."

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/15/88)

       Please!!!  This was a hypothetical suggestion.

          If you look, in detail, at the entire posting, I thing
(think) you will agree that there is little chance of the program
trashing a non-pirated copy.  After all, a non-pirated copy would
not run at all without the dongle, and the destructive part of the
code would lie in some post-begin program segments.  Several of these
segments would need to all concur that the program were pirated, and
then it would shut itself down.  IT WOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT PROPOGATE ITSELF!

        Since the original posting I have discussed this dongle idea with
a chip designer, an EE, and a couple of programmers in detail.  All agree
that the concept is implementable (~$6.00/chip for 100,000) and that it
would be unfeasable to break a protected program.  Of course this dongle
mechanism would have to be included in a new machine at it's conception.
Guess I'll have to wait for some new processor technology to evolve.

                                                Thanks,

                                                        Wade.

        [PS:  I wonder if the Government would be interested in this for
                security purposes???]

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (01/16/88)

And here is my 2 cents.  The problem of piracy is the same problem of drugs.
It represents a breakdown in morality of our society.  I like the neighborhood
watch idea.  Outside of that and strengthening societies moral convictions not
to pirate we are stuck.  It could get worse before it gets better because we
are inclinded to have someone else legislate (courts, congress, etc.) our
lives rather then recognizing something being "wrong" and not participating in
it by our own recognition.

*Bilbo*

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com

rjk107@pawl14.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (01/22/88)

In article <2161@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>And here is my 2 cents.  The problem of piracy is the same problem of drugs.
>It represents a breakdown in morality of our society.  I like the neighborhood
>watch idea.  Outside of that and strengthening societies moral convictions not
>to pirate we are stuck.  It could get worse before it gets better because we
>are inclinded to have someone else legislate (courts, congress, etc.) our
>lives rather then recognizing something being "wrong" and not participating in
>it by our own recognition.

Well, if it's a breakdown of morality in this society, it's surely about
time, in view of the past decade or so's reversion to "good morals"
as practiced 3 or 400 years ago.... Just when I thought there was really
no good reason to pirate. Thanks for strengthening my spirit. :)

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (01/22/88)

In article <8037@g.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
> In article <300@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) writes:
> >[ Rumor: large software house put killer copy protect in ]

> I don't remember the exact software involved, but Microsoft had something
> like this happen a couple of years back.  Quite a few people got trashed
> disks.

Sounds like the Arf Arf bluff story. The only people bitten by this dog are
the ones who panicked and hit the power switch while writes were going on.
It was a complete bluff, "put in by a student programmer". Sure.
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

desmarai@ouareau.iro.umontreal.ca (Stephane Desmarais) (01/29/88)

Wade Bickel proposed the idea of a dongle, and suggested something that
looked like this:
 1) if the dongle isn't there when you try to load of the program, don't
    load it (and don't do any damage (after all, some could have forgotten to
    put is dongle in place (put I suppose usually everybody would leave his
    dongle in place all the time (too many parentheses :-)))) (funny face
    with quadruple chin)
 2) If the dongle isn't detected later during the execution, supposedly meaning
    sombody tried to pirate the software, erase some files (only files related
    to the same program)

Let me describe a problem with 2).  I have an *old* C-64, and I use a disk
drive accelerator on a cartridge.  The pins on the expansion port are really
worn out.  So, sometimes, in the middle of a session, there is a false contact
which makes the computer think that there isn't any cartrige.
I can really see the same thing appenning to dongles...

Don't take me wrong.  I'm not against dongles (a unique dongle for each
computer, not one for each software), but I'm against the 2) idea.

---

--
  cccc         666       4      Stephane Desmarais
 c    c       6         44	Departement d'informatique