[comp.sys.amiga] Kickstart Guide to the Amiga

) (01/25/88)

Interesting, the machine just told me this posting is going to cost the net
hundreds if not thousands of dollars...(not my money!)

So with that in mind, what follows is quite a commercial posting
("not boring though" -- pete townsend, the who)

ready?
Ok, this has gone on long enough.  What is with you people, it's like no one
has ever heard of the "Kickstart Guide to the Amiga".  Well, I am here to
tell all you guys, if you are starting an Amiga library you need this book.

Finished Rob Pecks book, arn't ready for the RKM's yet?

   Get the "Kickstart Guide to the Amiga", simple english
   some of the clearest explaintions of the Amiga ever.

Fifth time through the RKM's, finished Berry's book, got all the Compute
books under your belt, best friend is Mark Riely?

   Get the "Kickstart Guide to the Amiga", simple english
   some of the clearest explaintions of the Amiga ever.

This is a must read for all those who want to know what Matt Dillon is
really talking about.  The Amiga isn't a hard machine to understand,
the problem is that most of the documentation expects you to already
understand the machine before you read it.

The "Kickstart Guide to the Amiga" was written so that if you have ever
watched toast toast you can build on that knowledge and see what is
happening on the inside of your machine.

Ok, over enthusiastic, but you get the idea.  This is recommended reading
by the CATS people (good movie, that).

But I can't find the book on my dealers shelves, and I don't want to
fly to England to get a copy...

Ok, watch out, here comes the real commercial part:
This is available from Micro Pace, it has been brought to America by
Jim Oldfield (?) of Midnight Press fame.  It sells for $24.95 plus
$2.50 s&h plus 6.25% Illinois sales tax (if you are in Illinois).
(Cheaper than a Zerox of the book!)

If you want to call them, the number they give is (800) 222-4441

Guess what?  I don't have ANY connection with these people, never
even heard of them, yeah, that's the ticket!
Randy Spencer      3461 N. Edison St. Arlington VA 22207      (703)241-2140
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=See-=-=-you=-=-=-=in-=-=-=-D.C.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In article <6692@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.berkeley.edu (me, look, right here!) writes:
>has ever heard of the "Kickstart Guide to the Amiga".  Well, I am here to
>tell all you guys, if you are starting an Amiga library you need this book.
>
>This is available from Micro Pace, it has been brought to America by
>Jim Oldfield (?) of Midnight Press fame.  It sells for $24.95 plus
>$2.50 s&h plus 6.25% Illinois sales tax (if you are in Illinois).
>(Cheaper than a Zerox of the book!)
>
>If you want to call them, the number they give is (800) 222-4441

The Kickstart Guide is actually a reprint of all the issues of Kickstart,
the European Amiga Technical Journal published by Ariadne software through
a grant from Commodore-UK for European Developers.  Over a year ago I got
copies of the originals directly from Adriadne (though not cheap, at the time
about $50).  Some of the articles are kind of outdated now, but if you want
to know more about AmigaDOS, EXEC, Libraries and Devices it is a very useful
addition to the RKMs.

-- Marco

hcm@hpclla.HP.COM (Harry Muttart) (01/29/88)

Actually, this publication has been updated to reflect 1.2 changes, according tothe comments in the preface.  I cannot attest to that, but I will say that
concepts seem to be clearly presented!

Harry Muttart