[comp.sys.amiga] An alternate method of splitting high volume groups

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (01/16/88)

[Background: There is ongoing discussion about splitting both the Mac and
Amiga groups.  A vote is underway on the Amiga proposal.  This posting
should be of interest to the readers of any high volume group considering a
split.]

Among the responses received so far on the split comp.sys.amiga vote, there
has been a remarkable number of "write-in" votes for a much more radical
approach.  The exact details vary, but they are all quite close in
principle.  Basically they are saying: "I'd like to see it split MORE
ways".

Since so may people are already indicating interest in this, I'll toss it
out for all to see.

It was summed up best by one person who wrote:

--------------

I've been mulling over a more drastic solution. Actually, I've been
contemplating a different way of looking at netnoise, with [comp.sys.amiga]
as the testbed:

The idea is to not view newsgroups as "barriers" between discussions, but
as "keywords" to indicate topics of interest. The general idea is to think
of what groups you're interested in a posting being read by, then post to
the most specific newsgroup that will reach part of that group.

So the split for c.s.a would be something like:

	comp.sys.amiga	- no postings, just a root for the keywords
	".hardware      - postings that somehow discuss hardware
	".software      - ditto software
	".misc          - nothing else applices
	".A2000		- Amiga 2000 specific
	".A1000		-   "	1000
	".A500		-   "	500
	".tech
	".novice
	".applications
	".programming
	".audio
	".video
	".religious
       [".reviews
	".marketing
	".questions
	".games]

Etc, etc, etc. The more the merrier. Cross-posting is to be *encouraged*.
An article looking for hardware & software for building video tapes on an
A2000 should be crossposted to hardware, software, A2000, video and
applications.  An answer that discussed the technical merits/demerits of
various products would add .tech to the list. Someone looking for an editor
for programming with would probably post to .programming, .applications,
.software and maybe .tech. Somone wanting to know how to build a virus
would post to .hardware, .software, .tech and .programming. If you wanted
to talk about whether such was good or bad, you'd probably post to
.software and .religious.

Those wanting to avoid certain subjects would filter incoming news on the
Newsgroups: line.

Of course, to actually work, this would require some effort on the part of
the posters, and (more importantly) those doing followups. But it can't be
worse than the current monolithic system, and can't be much worse than a
two-way split.

--------------

There you have it.  Let's discuss the merits of this for both
comp.sys.amiga AND all the other high volume groups on the net.  The
comp.sys.mac group should be especially interested.

One thing I would like an AUTHORATATIVE answer on is cost:  Assuming the
exact same number of raw bytes/day, will a large number of splinter groups
cause sites extra cost or hassle? (Will a proposal like this result
in more volume is another question)

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce (or try "cogsci")
 (")
  U	"Your theory is crazy... but not crazy enought to be true." -Niels Bohr

:	comp.sys.amiga	- no postings, just a root for the keywords
:	".hardware      - postings that somehow discuss hardware
:	".software      - ditto software
:	".misc          - nothing else applices
:	".A2000		- Amiga 2000 specific
:   etc..

	The net.gods would never go for it.  I don't even go for it.  That's
way too many subdivisions.  I could deal with, maybe, three at the most, but
beyond that it just becomes a huge mess.

	I like the original idea (comp.sys.amiga comp.sys.amiga.tech).

					-Matt

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/21/88)

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>:	comp.sys.amiga	- no postings, just a root for the keywords
>:	".hardware      - postings that somehow discuss hardware
>:	".software      - ditto software
>:	".misc          - nothing else applices
>:	".A2000		- Amiga 2000 specific
>:   etc..
>
>	The net.gods would never go for it.  I don't even go for it.  That's
>way too many subdivisions.  I could deal with, maybe, three at the most, but
>beyond that it just becomes a huge mess.
>
>	I like the original idea (comp.sys.amiga comp.sys.amiga.tech).
>
>					-Matt

          Couldn't we just leave amiga/comp-amiga alone and utilize keywords
to filter things.  If you want it to be in hardware, just add "hardware" to
the keywords list.  Add multiple keywords if you wish.

          It seems there is some variation to the way UseNet is handled in
different places???   If this is true, are keywords normally available?

          If so we could do this on our own, as matter of convention, no
net-gods involved.

                                                        Thanks,

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) (01/22/88)

In article <2391@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:

>          Couldn't we just leave amiga/comp-amiga alone and utilize keywords
>to filter things.  If you want it to be in hardware, just add "hardware" to
>the keywords list.  Add multiple keywords if you wish.
>                                                                Wade.

An excellent idea ! I think it would be the easiest to implement, and the
most effective solution (instead of splitting the group up).
I also use the "K" command in the readnews program to block
out subjects I have lessened interest in. This builds a kill file to block
those articles from display. See the manual pages. I believe this was
mentioned before....

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (01/22/88)

In article <22603@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
> Among the responses received so far on the split comp.sys.amiga vote, there
> has been a remarkable number of "write-in" votes for a much more radical
> approach.  The exact details vary, but they are all quite close in
> principle.  Basically they are saying: "I'd like to see it split MORE
> ways".
>
> So the split for c.s.a would be something like:
>
> 	comp.sys.amiga	- no postings, just a root for the keywords
> 	".hardware      - postings that somehow discuss hardware
> 	".software      - ditto software
> 	".misc          - nothing else applices
> 	".A2000		- Amiga 2000 specific
> 	".A1000		-   "	1000
> 	".A500		-   "	500
> 	".tech
> 	".novice
> 	".applications
> 	".programming
> 	".audio
> 	".video
> 	".religious
>        [".reviews
> 	".marketing
> 	".questions
> 	".games]
>
> Etc, etc, etc. The more the merrier. Cross-posting is to be *encouraged*.

I can't comment on the cost of splitting up groups this finely, but I
imagine the benefits would be MUCH greater.  I imagine that most
readers of comp.sys.amiga would subscribe to some proper subset of all
the subgroups listed here.  I also imagine that most c.s.a readers
would read both of the groups proposed in the more conservative
proposal.  Maybe I'm wrong.

So here's a poll for c.s.a readers:

	a)  would you read all of the c.s.a subgroups mentioned above?

	b)  would you read both of the groups in the formal proposal?

	c)  <extra creadit>  how many of the 17 subgroups mentioned
	    above would you read?

Please mail to me, and I'll tally and post the results in a couple of
weeks.

Unfortunately, the results of this poll won't be conclusive.  Even if
everybody says they'd only read 3 subgroups, if all articles are posted
to one of those 3 groups, then everyone still reads all the articles.
It's going to depend on posters (and follow-upers) to keep the groups
posted to topical, as mentioned in the posting I'm following up.

For all you net.oldtimers:  has something like this ever been tried?
How well did it work?
--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (01/22/88)

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!  As was stated ever so clearly, this is NOT THE PLACE
FOR THIS DISCUSSION.

If you wish to comment on this proposal, subscribe to the "news.groups"
newsgroup.

Votes are ONLY valid if sent to the vote taker.  For this proposal, I am that
person.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce (or try "cogsci")
 (")
  U	"As an engineer, I only set the value of a product... not the cost."
	-Bryce Nesbitt

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/24/88)

      Bryce and Others,

                Sorry for my posting in this forum, however, I have not been
        able to finde news.groups or anything like it on my node.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (01/30/88)

As quoted from <559@cresswell.quintus.UUCP> by pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte):
+---------------
| In article <22603@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
| > has been a remarkable number of "write-in" votes for a much more radical
| > approach.  The exact details vary, but they are all quite close in
| > principle.  Basically they are saying: "I'd like to see it split MORE
| > ways".
> (long list deleted)
| > Etc, etc, etc. The more the merrier. Cross-posting is to be *encouraged*.
|
| I can't comment on the cost of splitting up groups this finely, but I
| imagine the benefits would be MUCH greater.  I imagine that most
|
| For all you net.oldtimers:  has something like this ever been tried?
+---------------

It has not been tried in the time that I've been reading the net (since mid
1983).

Just to be even more radical:  anyone for an "alternative subnetwork" that
does things this way?  Sites interested in participating in the experiment
would carry the groups, the rest could go on as is.  This would also allow us
to take the experiment even further by treating the entire newsgroup hierarchy
as keywords.

I'm willing to talk with interested sysadmins who might want to organize such
a subnet.  If there's enough interest, we can draft a set of guidelines and
the initial keyword space, then announce the availability of the subnetwork.
(Either that or it's time for a certain net.nuisance to put his money where
his keyboard is and post the keyword-based news he claimed to be playing with
a few months ago.)
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery