[comp.sys.amiga] Can an A500 be flickerless?

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (01/28/88)

in article <6243@sol.ARPA>, eliz@cs.rochester.edu (Elizabeth Hinkelman) says:

>      Is there any way to get a non-interlaced 400-line picture out
> of an amiga 500?  Since such a beast is available for the A2000
> an alternative form of this question is: Are there any signals
> present on the A2000 video slot whose A500 counter parts are not
> accessible from the A500 video connector? Has anyone seen a
> "Flicker Fixer" on an A500?

YES you could use a kind of Flicker Fixer for the A500, but NO, it won't be
the same as the internal A2000 unit.  On the 2000's internal video slot are
all 12 bits of digital video necessary to give you your 4096 colors.  On the
A500, A1000, and A2000 external video slots are only 4 bits of digital video.
SO you could hook up a device that's capable of delivering 16 non-interlaced
color screens in much the same way as the MicroWay device.  In fact, the
MicroWay people were talking about such an external Flicker Fixer at Comdex,
though I don't know if and when they'll produce one.  It would have the
advantage of requiring much less video RAM, and thus it could cost less.

--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (01/31/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on linus (berkeley-unix)

In article <6243@sol.ARPA> eliz@cs.rochester.edu (Elizabeth Hinkelman) writes:

>  Has anyone seen a
> "Flicker Fixer" on an A500?

Not yet, but I'm pretty sure Microway has one under development.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.