[comp.sys.amiga] Disk Prices

mb@munnari.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <1711@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>
grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1571@munnari.oz> mb@munnari.UUCP (Michael Bednarek) writes:
>>And, as a flow-on, 90mm disks (as IBM calls them here) should now
>>become real cheap?
>
>Huh?  The diskettes have already been getting pretty cheap without IBM's help.

The normal retail price for a box of 10 3.5" disks is about $A60.
The cheapest source in Melbourne is $A43 for Nashua 1-sided (which I use
almost exclusively).

One can get 10 5.25" disks for $A15.

So, the price comparison per 1000k looks like
$4.3/880k*1000 = $4.88 ($43/10 3.5 " disks) up to
$6.0/880k*1000 = $6.82 ($60/10 3.5 " disks) versus
$1.5/360k*1000 = $4.17 ($15/10 5.25" disks)

But then again, there are the real nifty people using 5.25" drives at 880k
on an Amiga, which gives $1.70/1000k !

($A 1 ~ $US .71)

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (04/24/87)

In article <1575@munnari.oz> mb@munnari.UUCP (Michael Bednarek) writes:
>One can get 10 5.25" disks for $A15.

And I can get 10 3.5" DSDD Sony disks for US$17.

I don't know the conversion ratio, but I suspect that this makes the
3.5" disks cheaper/KB. You wanna run the numbers through?

	<mike

--
Take a magic carpet to the olden days			Mike Meyer
To a mythical land where everybody lays			ucbvax!mwm

In article <3288@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <1575@munnari.oz> mb@munnari.UUCP (Michael Bednarek) writes:
>>One can get 10 5.25" disks for $A15.
>
>And I can get 10 3.5" DSDD Sony disks for US$17.
>
>I don't know the conversion ratio, but I suspect that this makes the
>3.5" disks cheaper/KB. You wanna run the numbers through?

They were going for under $1 US in bulk pack form at the recent Trenton
Computer Show.  I think they were Panasonic and don't know what the
minimum qty for that price was.

Didn't mean to start a ruckus, but my sense was that they had become cheap
enough that media cost wasn't a real problem anymore...

hobie@sq.UUCP (04/24/87)

Michael Bednarek (mb@munnari.UUCP) writes:

>The normal retail price for a box of 10 3.5" disks is about $A60.
>The cheapest source in Melbourne is $A43 for Nashua 1-sided (which I use
>almost exclusively).
>
>One can get 10 5.25" disks for $A15.
>
>($A 1 ~ $US .71)

In Toronto, I can get 10 DSDD 3.5" Sonys or Fujis for between CDN $35-$40
where CDN $1 = US $0.75 .  I have never tried single-sided disks on the
Amiga, although on the Apple I did.  How reliable are single-sided disks?
Anyone recommend some brands to try or avoid?

 Hobie Orris			 	|
 SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.		|"Mutants LOVE microwave cooking"
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	|

(NSA terrorist CIA cryptography DES drugs NRO cipher IRS secret RSA decode
coke libyan crack penguin lust russian nuclear missile atom assassinate)

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (04/25/87)

In article <3288@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <1575@munnari.oz> mb@munnari.UUCP (Michael Bednarek) writes:
>>One can get 10 5.25" disks for $A15.
>
>And I can get 10 3.5" DSDD Sony disks for US$17.

I bought 25 DSDD blue (don't know if Sony or what) 3.5 " disks for
US $25 from AMERICAL GROUP, (818) 906-1132.  They all formatted OK.

Marnix
--
Marnix (ain't unix!) A.  van\ Ammers	Work: (415) 545-8334
Home: (707) 644-9781			CEO: MAVANAMMERS:UNIX

In article <1987Apr24.145458.13350@sq.uucp> hobie@sq.UUCP (Hobie Orris) writes:

>In Toronto, I can get 10 DSDD 3.5" Sonys or Fujis for between CDN $35-$40
>where CDN $1 = US $0.75 .  I have never tried single-sided disks on the
>Amiga, although on the Apple I did.  How reliable are single-sided disks?
>Anyone recommend some brands to try or avoid?

There are two schools of thought here:  One says that if it works pretty good
and is cheap, then I'm a happy person.  The other says my files are precious
and I'm not going to take any risks to save a few bucks.

There have been various theories presented on single-sided disk:  That they
are the exact same disks with different labels, that only one side is tested,
that only one side passes testing, that only one side is finished, that they
will eat your drive and spit out the pieces.

Any or all of the above may be true.  Let your own interests and priorities
be your guide.

BTW, it doesn't hurt to open the little door on your disks and look at the
media from time to time.  Any scratch marks are a warning of future failure...

hansb@ariel.UUCP (04/28/87)

I just wanted to mention a place that I order disks from that is low-cost.

1-800-634-3478  usa
1-614-481-4417  ohio

MEI
1555 West Lane Avenue
Columbus, Ohio  43221

The last time I checked on prices, the prices were:

100 5 1/4 disks  $27.00 + 4.00 shipping
50  3 1/2 dd/ds  $.99 (each disk) + 4.00 shipping
I have not yet ordered the 3 1/2 disks from them, but I have
ordered the 5 1/4 disks and so far, not one has come up bad.
Hans Bechtel

(I do not work for MEI, but I am just a satisfied customer.)

gary@eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (04/28/87)

Yes, 3.5" disk prices have been dropping dramatically...

When I bought my machine a year ago, a few of us got together and bought
a few hundred disks and paid $2.20 for each.

Six months later a few of us got together again and bought a hundred
and paid $1.50 for each.

And now I have a guy constantly calling me trying to sell me Sony's for
$1.24 apiece!

And these were all name brand, DS/DDs!

Don't buy disks for $60 at your local computer store...get together with
a few friends and buy them for 75% off by mail!

	Gary

rgm@utcsri.UUCP (04/29/87)

In article <1775@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
>In article <1047@crash.CTS.COM> spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) writes:
>>I heard that 75% of the 3 1/2" disks are made in Japan, and that prices may
>>jump due to tariffs.

    Was not the tariff imposed on micro-chips (and products incorperating
    them) ? the justification (according to the news reports) was "dumping"
    of Japanese chips on American markets
    This shouldn't affect disks, and any dealer who trys to up the price
    on this excuse is probably trying to pull a fast one.

>   I sure hope not.  All of the reliable disks I've ever used were made
>in Japan.  In general, the shells and hubs are more to-spec.  They seem
    Aye!
>to seat solidly in every drive I've tried them on.  If I have to use disks
>with USA shells, I use them for Write Once stuff only.
   I don't use them at all.

Gideon Sheps   (or Cheops, as my Egyptian relatives spell it)
I am not a number ...                             ...I am a free variable !
gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu                                          ///
gbs@utorgpu.bitnet/EARN/NetNorth                              \\\///
      I don't need a disclamer 'cause nobody listens to me.    \\\/

suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) (01/28/88)

In article <136@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:

>     We have talked alot about the quality of different disks available
>     and the wonderful colors that they come in but what about cost.
>     I can find Sony at about 16$/per 10 and Maxell at about 17$/per 10
>     here in Columbus (at Warehouse or Wholesale clubs). Can I beat these
>     prices by much in Quantities of 50 or 100 (or more if I get others
>     involved)?
>
>     Thanks.
>--
>"So this is reality!"               Michael Figg

I purchased Sony diskettes in bulk quantities of 50 from Franklin Media.
I payed $0.01 extra per lbel and also had an order of 150 floppies
mailed to me COD via UPS.  The total cost was about $1.12/disk.  So far,
only one disk out of the order of 150 was unusable.  I have had the
disks over a month and all of the other 149 are in fine working order.
For your information, they are grey.

/ken

I do not work for Franklin Media.  Nor have I ever been affiliated with
them.  I don't have any second-cousins working there or even know anyone
working there.  I don't know their present prices.  By the way, their
phone number is: 1 800 537-1919.

youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (Bret H Young) (01/28/88)

In article <136@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:

>     We have talked alot about the quality of different disks available
>     and the wonderful colors that they come in but what about cost.
>     I can find Sony at about 16$/per 10 and Maxell at about 17$/per 10
>     here in Columbus (at Warehouse or Wholesale clubs). Can I beat these
>     prices by much in Quantities of 50 or 100 (or more if I get others
>     involved)?

Well, I just got a blurb in the mail from MEI/MICRO Center. They are
selling 3.5" DS/DD disks for 99 cents a piece in lots of 50. All I can
say about them is that I ordered some 5.25" disks for my Zenith PC (hey,
we all gotta start somewhere) and they turned out just fine. They don't
say what brand they are selling but if you want to call the number is
1-800-634-3478. Their ad says you get a money back guarantee no questions
asked and the offer expires Feb. 15, 1988.

usual disclaimers.

					Bret

usenet:  ihnp4!pur-ee!youngb
ARPA:    youngb@eg.ecn.purdue.edu
UUCP:    youngb@pur-ee.UUCP

malibo@arizona.edu (Rob McConeghy) (02/02/88)

In article <7399@pur-ee.UUCP>, youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (Bret H Young) writes:
> Well, I just got a blurb in the mail from MEI/MICRO Center. They are
> selling 3.5" DS/DD disks for 99 cents a piece in lots of 50. All I can
> say about them is that I ordered some 5.25" disks for my Zenith PC (hey,
> we all gotta start somewhere) and they turned out just fine. They don't
> say what brand they are selling but if you want to call the number is
> 1-800-634-3478. Their ad says you get a money back guarantee no questions
> asked and the offer expires Feb. 15, 1988.

I have bought both 5.25" and 3.5" disks from MEI and have had no problems
with either. They don't supply labels but you can get these at
most office/computer supply stores these days.