[comp.sys.amiga] Can U Grab Screen Image Anytime??

wen2@husc2.UUCP (wen2) (01/28/88)

In article <1633@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
>Is there any software out which can grab the screen, and save
>it as an IFF image?  I also need to be able to grab the
>screen at ANY TIME, which means I want to grab it when
>I'm running games which take over the machine.
>
>This would require that the software survive a reboot,
>since alot of games *have to* take over the machine
>in order to run.

Oh, you mean you want a screen-grabbing _virus_!
Maybe the SCA virus can be patched....:-)

Alvin Wen

spencer@eris (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) (01/29/88)

Recently on *comp.sys.amiga* wen2@husc2.UUCP (alvin wen) wrote:
...In article <1633@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
...>Is there any software out which can grab the screen, and save
...>it as an IFF image?  I also need to be able to grab the
...>screen at ANY TIME, which means I want to grab it when
...>I'm running games which take over the machine.

One thing to think about when you want to grab screens from games is
that many games use Bobs, Vsprites, and Sprites.  Since this stuff is
done in hardware, not directly to the bitmap (well, Sprites anyway) the
screen grabbing will not get exactly what you see.

I myself have been looking for something that will take all the View
information into consideration and build an IFF from that.  Things like
pulled down screens... Course there is no way to imbed copper instructions
in an IFF graphic...

Randy Spencer      3461 N. Edison St. Arlington VA 22207      (703)241-2140
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=See-=-=-you=-=-=-=in-=-=-=-D.C.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

chanst@atrium.UUCP (Steve T Chan) (01/30/88)

In article <1633@ssc-vax.UUCP>, dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
> Is there any software out which can grab the screen, and save
> it as an IFF image?  I also need to be able to grab the
> screen at ANY TIME, which means I want to grab it when
> I'm running games which take over the machine.

GRABbit from Discovery Software would grab the screen and save it as
an IFF image.. but it won't let you grab when you are running games
that takes over the machine.

> This would require that the software survive a reboot,
> since alot of games *have to* take over the machine
> in order to run.

Yes.. And that screen grabbit has to sit there in low memory
waiting for the user to do a warm boot and then activates, right?
You have just described the current SCA virus!
Now why would anyone want to write a thing like that.. I just don't
feel right about programs hanging around and activating at warm boots..
Had a few disks killed by the virus.

> If there is currently nothing available which can
> do this, it should be possible to write, eh?  If
> vd0: can survive a reboot, then surely it should
> be possible to create a process ( the screen grabber )
> which could also survive, and be called up while
> a game is running.

Yes, it is possible to write such a beast... Yes.. it would
also be possible to create a process that sits in low memory
waiting for a warm boot and a key to activate.

> Sure would be neat to be able to run a game, capture
> the screen image whenever you want, save it as an
> IFF image, and then edit it in Deluxe Paint, or
> what-have-you.

Yes, it would be, but my programming skills are not that good
yet.. still learning..

> Thanks in advance...

You are welcome.

| Steve Chan                       UUCP/ARPA: gatech!petro!atrium!chanst |
| @ Atrium @ The Alamo                                                   |
| San Antonio, Texas                                                     |
| 'If you put your minds to it, you could accomplish anything!' - Doc    |

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Amigas Dominate) (01/31/88)

   Pixmate can grab the screen below it.  This includes the WorkBench
screen or most programs.  But not most games.  There is also a PD
(Sharware?) program called ClipIt that will grab anything that you can
draw a box around with the mouse, but again, not most games.

				--Rob.

|Robert Silvers.           (617) 452-8810 Rm. 210                          |

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/02/88)

In article <190@atrium.UUCP>, chanst@atrium.UUCP (Steve T Chan) writes:
> In article <1633@ssc-vax.UUCP>, dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
> > This would require that the software survive a reboot,
> > since alot of games *have to* take over the machine
> > in order to run.
> >
> Yes.. And that screen grabbit has to sit there in low memory
> waiting for the user to do a warm boot and then activates, right?
> You have just described the current SCA virus!

He did nothing of the kind.  There is a huge difference between a
program that stays active over a reboot and one that spreads itself
around to innocent disks like the virus.  If the technique for surviving
reboots is developed right, I'll bet some pretty handy stuff would result.
And it would be nothing like the virus, because you would know it's
there, and it's doing something you want it to do.

I'm not volunteering, just pointing out that I think it's a neat idea.
Any takers?