[comp.sys.amiga] Suggestion for vt100r2.8: external file-transfer programs

anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) (01/14/88)

 Here's my idea. instead of adding the `n' file-transfer protocols to the
`m' communications programs why couldn't there be a menu selection which
would :
	a) stop accepting input from keyboard until same menu item selected
	b) either open serial port in shared mode, or close serial port until
	  user requests it to be reopened using menu item.

So then any stand alone file-transfer program could work with a terminal
program which did this.

 I have just about finished a stand alone version of ZModem which could take
advantage of this technique. By the way zmodem gets about 3 times the effective
data transfer speed of either kermit or xmodem (for me anyway).

 I would really like this feature to appear in the new release of vt100!

 So what have I forgotten? And what do you think about the idea?
--

	Frank Anthes-Harper
Usenet: ....!ucbvax!decvax!uunet!mcvax!inria!geocub!anthes

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (01/15/88)

In article <195@geocub.UUCP> anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) writes:
> Here's my idea. instead of adding the `n' file-transfer protocols to the
>`m' communications programs why couldn't there be a menu selection which
>would :
>	a) stop accepting input from keyboard until same menu item selected
>	b) either open serial port in shared mode, or close serial port until
>	  user requests it to be reopened using menu item.
   I like this idea. Note that it is similar to one i mentioned
earlier, about using the Unix Windows (uw) as a full-blown
multiplexer program. For Those Who Came In Late, uw muxes
up to seven amiga windows to seven Unix processes (usually but
NOT NECESSARILY shells). On the Mac (its origin) that was as far
as it went. On the Amiga it makes sense to think about muxing
up to seven Amiga processes to seven Unix processes.
   Of course all this is a moot point (for me, anyway) with SLIP
available. And, once ASLIP support gets hacked in, the efficiency
issue goes away too!
ron
--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (01/22/88)

In article <195@geocub.UUCP>, anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) writes:
>  Here's my idea. instead of adding the `n' file-transfer protocols to the
> `m' communications programs why couldn't there be a menu selection which
> would :

> 	a) stop accepting input from keyboard until same menu item selected
> 	b) either open serial port in shared mode, or close serial port until
> 	  user requests it to be reopened using menu item.

> So then any stand alone file-transfer program could work with a terminal
> program which did this.

>  So what have I forgotten? And what do you think about the idea?

 a) I don't think that having it stop accepting keyboard input is a good idea.
    it should accept keystrokes and discard them.

 b) Is it meaningful top open the port in shared mode? What happens to each
    character when two people have the port open? If it is meaningful and
    something intelligent happens (like characters get sent to both programs)
    then you don't need either of the menu items.

 c) I think it's a great idea. It's an obvious solution to the problem of extra
    protocols. Even better than just having it stop would be to have it call
    the protocol program itself.

 d) Once again something that nobody but the Amiga can do.
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (01/22/88)

Rather than having the file transfer program talk to the serial port, have it
talk to standard input/output, and pass it a pair of pipes.  Have the VT100
program shove the data in/out of the pipe to the serial line.

This way you don't have to know what serial port unit is being used.  And,
you're not limited to using it over a serial port only.  Build tools rather
than monolithic applications.  Remember, there are at least 2 freely re-
distributable pipe implementations out there.  We could make good use of
them.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

spencer@eris (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) (01/24/88)

This was originally suggested in AmigaMail by Carolyn (right?), and I
say the same thing I did then, "Great!  Who is going to pay me for it?"

I wouldn't be that hard to design.  Don't open the serial port in
shared mode, that means the same as opening a file shared, multiple
readers, no writers.  So, instead, the code could be done as a library
or something, and you just send it a pointer to the serial device that
you got when you opened it.  Also send pointers to the files to send,
and arguments that specify all the variables (packet size, ACK character,
timeouts, etc...).

So, shall we form another ARP like group all centered around VT100 and
get these protocols going?

***BTW***

I think that the single most important thing for the next release of
VT100 is something that has been missing all along.  I WANT THE MOUSE
POINTER TO GO AWAY WHEN I TYPE, AND RETURN WHEN I MOVE THE MOUSE!!!!

ok, got that out of my system.  Now don't say "run Mouseoff", as I only
want that to happen in VT100, most of the time I use the mouse alot
and don't want it disappearing on me, but VT100 only uses the mouse
for menus and then it has keyboard equivilants, so I *never* use the mouse
(well, almost never, I do need to clear the screen).
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (01/25/88)

>Don't open the serial port in
>shared mode, that means the same as opening a file shared, multiple
>readers, no writers.

NOW I find that out :-(. This harkens back to an earlier posting of mine
about opening the serial port for I/O from both C and Basic at the same
time. The C end is mostly trial and error for the moment, based on a lot
of serial port parameters (like SERF_SHARED, above) which aren't explained
in any detail.

As for external file transfer protocols, do you know if it is possible to do
this using Diga! as it exists now? The emulations are seperate tasks and there
is a defined format for creating them, but I've never heard anything about
adding extra file transfer protocols. Seems like the natural way to implement
them given Diga!'s open-ended design.

John
--
"Am I dreaming, or was there a show on this weekend called 'Jimmy the Greek:
 Live at the Apollo'?"

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (01/26/88)

>Don't open the serial port in
>shared mode, that means the same as opening a file shared, multiple
>readers, no writers.

Oh yeah?  Just what do you base this on?  From what I've seen and tried, this
is incorrect.  You can open the serial.device in shared mode;  the sematics
of using this is up to you.  All of the users can write, as well as read.  The
device driver just fills the read requests in order.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

shahaf@taux01.UUCP (Shahaf Moshe) (01/30/88)

Does anyone knows a PROLOG PD for the Amiga ?
thanks.

spencer@eris (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) (01/31/88)

Recently on *comp.sys.amiga* shahaf@taux01.UUCP (Shahaf Moshe) wrote:
...Does anyone knows a PROLOG PD for the Amiga ?
...thanks.

Can somebody help this poor little message, it has lost it's way:')

jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) (02/03/88)

In article <471@taux01.UUCP> shahaf@taux01.UUCP (Shahaf Moshe) writes:
>Does anyone knows a PROLOG PD for the Amiga ?
>thanks.

     Shahaf;

     There's a recompile of the VT Prolog (Very Tiny Prolog) publically
available for the Amiga.  It comes with executable, modified C source and
header, and a rudimentary documentation file.  If there's interest by
others on the net, will uuencode and post to comp.sources and comp.binaries.

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0