[comp.sys.amiga] Availability of GKS

perretg@cernvax.UUCP (perretg) (02/02/88)

Thinking about porting some interactive data analysis packages
based on GKS, I am looking for information on the availability
of GKS (2D and 3D) for the AMIGA.
Beside specific scientific uses, I think that GKS on the AMIGA
would help promoting this machine to the professional graphic
market.
 What do you think ?

If somebody knows about some existing (or in development)
GKS package for AMIGA, Please let me know.
                                D. Perret-Gallix

In article <616@cernvax.UUCP> perretg@cernvax.UUCP (perretg) writes:

>If somebody knows about some existing (or in development)
>GKS package for AMIGA, Please let me know.
>                                D. Perret-Gallix

Over a year ago I read in the Amiga Kickstart guide (for European
developers) that GKS for the Amiga was available from some University
in Europe (Holland?).  If you want me to dig that one up, please
e-mail directly.

-- Marco

miner@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Rich Miner) (02/04/88)

In article <616@cernvax.UUCP> perretg@cernvax.UUCP (perretg) writes:
>... I am looking for information on the availability of GKS (2D and 3D)
>for the AMIGA.

>If somebody knows about some existing (or in development)
>GKS package for AMIGA, Please let me know.

We have a portable GKS running on a number of mini's ands workstations.
A port to the IBM-PC is currently being worked on and I have been told, by
our GKS group, that an Amiga port will follow.  Interest from Amiga users
will surely help influence the port. If there are others interested in an
Amiga GKS, drop me a note.  GKS-UL is a level 2b implementation, it supports
2-dimensional output primitives, input, segments, and metafiles.
--
Rich miner@ulowell.edu  617/452-5000x2693  ULowell CPE Imaging Research Lab

In article <616@cernvax.UUCP> perretg@cernvax.UUCP (perretg) writes:

>If somebody knows about some existing (or in development)
>GKS package for AMIGA, Please let me know.

I did find the issue.  The August /September 1986 issue of Kickstart
annouces that GKS for the Amiga is available from the University of
Leyden in Holland:

" Prof. J van den Bos informs that  .... the Amiga implementation supports
up to 4 workstations, which are mapped into Amiga Viewports.  It can also
handle the mouse. The entire implementation is written in C and takes about
20K of object code. The package can be obtained for 250 Dutch guilders
(approximately $1000 [by 1986 currency exchange standards])."

For more information on GKS, contact:

University of Leyden
Department of Maths and Computer Science
Wassenaarseweg 80
Leiden - Postbus 9512
2300 RA LEIDEN
The Nederlands