[comp.sys.amiga] There's only one of me, I promise...

[ It's all Craig Good's fault.  :-) ]

	I've received a couple of inquiries regarding a very strange article
that *appears* to have come from USENET.  The article is attributed to me,
and a copy is attached below.

	I didn't write it; it's not even my writing style.

	I don't know who wrote it.

	After reading the article, it seems painfully obvious to me that the
whole thing is a joke.  Yet, because people think it came from me, they
wonder if it might be true.

	Apart from the fact that the described system is far too advanced
to be real, you must understand that Commodore doesn't tell me anything.
Why should they?  Unless they want some goofy demos written for a new
machine they may or may not be producing, they have no reason at all to
acknowledge my existence.  Max Toy didn't even bother to say hello to me at
AmiExpo; I was pretty hard to miss, you know....

	Oh, sure, Dale tells me a *few* things, but nothing you don't know
already.

	Anyway, I didn't write it, and I ascribe absolutely no credibility
to it at all.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a joke.

	Mind you, if Commodore actually *DOES* release such a machine,
you'll be able to knock me over with a feather.  However, unless they bought
NEXT, I don't see how it's possible...

	(Why am I on the defensive?)

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

From: ewhac@well.UUCP Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Amiga 3000
Date: Jan 4 1988 06:56:34 GMT

OFFICIAL WORD FROM COMMODORE BUSINESS MACHINES CO., INC.
 "News of devolopment of the Amiga 3000 High-End Business machine has
spread un-true rumors about said computer. The Amiga 3000 is near
completion, and is scheduled to be released be Mid-Feb. Features are as
follows: 20 mHz 68030 processor w/ 22 mHz Math Co-Processor. KS 1.3, which has
modifications for Non-Interlaced displays of up to
2048*1024. Standard memory will be 3 MegaBytes, with all of it
accessable by the custom chips, of which there are 5: Fred (new
combination of older chips, Central graphic Controller, and our MMU) and
the new Joan. Specs of this chip will be disclosed later, but they
contain a true floppy/Hard drive controller on a chip and some other
features to speed up drive functions by 100%. That being a conservative
figure. The display will be the new 3080 HP monitor (40 Hz bandwidth)
19" white screen, or the standard 1080 monitor, or the 3082 HP color
display analog monitor. It will essentiall be similar to the 1080 and
2080, but will have a sharper image (.16 dot-pitch) and will be able to
handle up to 800*600. 2 Floppy drives will be included, being able to
read Amiga-DOS, IBM and Mac disks, along with the new UNIX system under
devolopment. Max formatted capacity will be 2.0 MB. The Amiga 3000 will
emulate a MAC II (by using the new Agnes chipset, which has a 2 MILLION
palette, along with 1024*800 NON-Interlaced COLOR graphics. HAM can be
used in these modes also. Max colors: 256 on screen at same time.)
 Also to be emulated (MAC being in Software) will be IBM's PS/2 or 80386
machines. A hardware card will be used, but one must run a task to
choose which one to emulate. It will be a half software/hardware
emulation.
 The new version of Kickstart will also be in the 3000. It has numerous
features, enhancements, and bug fixes from 1.2. It will comprise of 512k ROM,
and will be able to be used on the 2000. The 500 and 1000 will
be able to get an upgrade, but it is NOT going to be 1.3. There was a
problem in fitting it into these machines, which will also be discussed
later.  Amiga-DOS has been enhanced, with Floppy drive transfers at 22.6K/s and
hard drive speed of up to 900K/s using a special controller.  Release Date: Feb
24th.
 Announeced from Commodore Headquarters, Jan 3rd 1988.
             Max Toy
            CEO Commodore Business Machines Co., Inc.

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (02/01/88)

in article <5100@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) says:
> 	I've received a couple of inquiries regarding a very strange article
> that *appears* to have come from USENET.  The article is attributed to me,
> and a copy is attached below.

> 	Anyway, I didn't write it, and I ascribe absolutely no credibility
> to it at all.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a joke.

> _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
        ^^^^^^
This is what got me, that's my site! Although whoever faked it should
have had utah-cs after utah-gr.

I'm really curious about who faked this, since it supposedly came off
the net in my neck of the woods. If it really had I would have seen it
since I'm a regular on all the Amiga BBSs in town. And why would anyone
pick esunix? We're a rather backwater node, and not all that well known.

Anyway, great rumor. The techno-dolts ought to suck this one up like a
sponge since it's too good to be true. And if you do find out where it
came from, let me know.

> From: ewhac@well.UUCP Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
> Subject: Amiga 3000
            ^^^^^  ^^^^  ^^^^^
Cute! This was the best part of this rumor.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (02/07/88)

In article <689@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> in article <5100@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) says:
> > 	I've received a couple of inquiries regarding a very strange article
> > that *appears* to have come from USENET.  The article is attributed to me,
> > and a copy is attached below.
>
> > 	Anyway, I didn't write it, and I ascribe absolutely no credibility
> > to it at all.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a joke.
> This is what got me, that's my site! Although whoever faked it should
> have had utah-cs after utah-gr.
>
> Anyway, great rumor. The techno-dolts ought to suck this one up like a
> sponge since it's too good to be true. And if you do find out where it
> came from, let me know.

	Unfortunately, these kinds of deviant acts are not hard to conjure.
Anybody with news source can figure how to do that with experimentation.
Deviant news hackers know even better.

	I'm moraly compelled to not divulge this kind of information.

	But It can be done. Usenet is not at all secure. Consider the source!

	Even worse, the site origin can be faked. Even the author!

	Maybe I should say no more.

	On a net with thought police, it just doesn't matter anyway. Not unlike
running your brain through a strainer. Take it with a grain of salt.

	Don't mail me, I won't talk about it.

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business! Home of Regulus and hamiga)

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/07/88)

In article <689@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
< in article <5100@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) says:
< < 	I've received a couple of inquiries regarding a very strange article
< < that *appears* to have come from USENET.  The article is attributed to me,
< < and a copy is attached below.
< Anyway, great rumor. The techno-dolts ought to suck this one up like a
< sponge since it's too good to be true. And if you do find out where it
< came from, let me know.

You aren't kidding.  You should see all of the "WOW! I can't wait! where
can I get one" messages on the national Amiga Fido echo...

Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP