[comp.sys.amiga] Path problem ???

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (02/04/88)

[ Line eater foo

	I have a real puzzler !  I have a diskette that WHILE inserted into
either df0: or df1: or df2: (I have 3 3.5" drives) causes my A1000, running
1.2 released S/W to forget all known paths.  As soon as I remove the diskette
from whichever drive I have it in my Amy remembers?? what paths ARE!!!

I thought it might be some new straign of virus so I ran install on the
disk... no effect.  So I then copied all of the files to another disk and
it does not cause any problems.  So I then ran DiskCopy and... as expected
the copy exhibits the SAME traights.

Here kitty, kitty!  I just thought yous cats in CATS might like too know.
if you wish I will mail you a copy of my A1000 amnesia diskette.

Hans  (The guy with a kinky diskette)	hah@inteloa.UUCP
					hah%inteloa.intel.com

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (02/05/88)

In article <2789@omepd> hah@inteloa.UUCP (Hans Hansen) writes:
>[ Line eater foo
>
>	I have a real puzzler !  I have a diskette that WHILE inserted into
>either df0: or df1: or df2: (I have 3 3.5" drives) causes my A1000, running
>1.2 released S/W to forget all known paths.  As soon as I remove the diskette
>from whichever drive I have it in my Amy remembers?? what paths ARE!!!

   I have seen a similar (?) problem when a user inserts a disk named the same
  as an existing assigned dev/directory. (Name a disk "C" and the system will
  look on that disk and not the assigned "C" directory) What is the name of
  your kinky disk?

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

In article <2789@omepd> (Hans Hansen) writes:
>	I have a real puzzler !  I have a diskette that WHILE inserted into
>either df0: or df1: or df2: (I have 3 3.5" drives) causes my A1000, running
>1.2 released S/W to forget all known paths.  As soon as I remove the diskette
>from whichever drive I have it in my Amy remembers?? what paths ARE!!!

Ok, let me guess, it's coming to me, ah, ah, the name of this disk is "C"!
Am I right? For lots of fun, try naming one "LIBS" or "DEVS", or better
yet name it "DF1" and put it into DF0. We had a fairly lively discussion
at a recent BADGE meeting about name spaces and such (starting with the
serial device and then moving on to this wonderful property of disks to
'steal' assigns). And in general, since amigaDOS hardcodes C: into your
search path everything comes from the floppy disk when it is named C.
If you have found a new name that causes this same problem then please
let us know. (Hmm, I don't think I have ever tried naming a disk SYS)

--Chuck McManis

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (02/05/88)

In article <2789@omepd> hah@inteloa.UUCP (Hans Hansen) writes:

>	I have a real puzzler !  I have a diskette that WHILE inserted into
>either df0: or df1: or df2: (I have 3 3.5" drives) causes my A1000, running
>1.2 released S/W to forget all known paths.  As soon as I remove the diskette
>from whichever drive I have it in my Amy remembers?? what paths ARE!!!
>
>Hans  (The guy with a kinky diskette)	hah@inteloa.UUCP
>					hah%inteloa.intel.com

	Being a new Amiga user, I recently had a problem similar to
this that stumped me for a bit.  I was setting up some disks to work
with C, and one of them was bootable.  So I went through the
prerequisite copying of all my workbench disk parameters and such to
the main C disk, created my workdisk, renamed them, did an install,
and hit a Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga.  Fine...everything is going smoothly...until
it starts reading in the startup-sequence, and then proudly exclaims
something like "ConMan: unknown command."  Hmmmm...I rebooted with my
regular workbench, checked the C directory on my C-bootdisk, and
ConMan was there.  SH*T!  What the hell was going on?  Tried it a few
more times, recopied ConMan, tried it with different commands, etc.
and the only response I got from the bootable C disk was "...command
not found" (not the words the Amiga used, but you get the picture).

	And then it hit me: being a bit naive I had called my C
workdisk the name "C", so when the machine booted up it had two
volumes in df0: and df1:, and one of the volumes was called "C:".  So
when it came time to look for a command, it checked C: (now also known
as df1:) and didn't find everything.  A bit confusing and rather
subtle.  Also pretty funny when you think about it.

	The moral: make sure that none of your disks have the same
name as a volume (I believe that is the terminology); i.e. don't call
your disks "L", "C", "S", or "RAM" because they probably will mess
things up.  I don't know if this is your problem, but it is worth checking.

	Between the little nuances of UNIX, AmigaDos, MSDos, and
whatever other OS's you use, it is more that enough to drive a
programmer batty.

						-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

nelson@cg-atla.UUCP (Blake Nelson X7083) (02/06/88)

In article <2789@omepd> hah@inteloa.UUCP (Hans Hansen) writes:
>[ Line eater foo
>either df0: or df1: or df2: (I have 3 3.5" drives) causes my A1000, running

	How may 3 3.5 drives be hooked to an A1000? I tried before
(with help of a dealer) but was unble to get the power through to the
third in the chain. The system noticed df2: was mounted but the disk
could not be read. INFO showed no disk inserted. Also no clicking if
disk was removed. *PLEASE* if there is a easy way of installing a third
disk relay it to me by E-Mail or posting.

			Thanks
				Blake.

KENCHIU@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (02/06/88)

In article <41029@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:

>In article <2789@omepd> (Hans Hansen) writes:
>>       I have a real puzzler !  I have a diskette that WHILE inserted into
>>either df0: or df1: or df2: (I have 3 3.5" drives) causes my A1000, running
>>1.2 released S/W to forget all known paths.  As soon as I remove the diskette
>>from whichever drive I have it in my Amy remembers?? what paths ARE!!!
>
>Ok, let me guess, it's coming to me, ah, ah, the name of this disk is "C"!

But since the C: directory is searched last, this should not cause erasure
of >all< paths, right?  He seems to be saying that all paths are erased,
but I could be mistaken.

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (02/06/88)

$
$Ok, let me guess, it's coming to me, ah, ah, the name of this disk is "C"!
$Am I right?

BOY DO I MISS THOSE BADGE MEETINGS !!!  Chuck you are dead right on.  Ok net
back to sleep...

Hans   hah@inteloa   -or-  hah@inteloa.intel.com

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/07/88)

In article <41029@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> In article <2789@omepd> (Hans Hansen) writes:
> >	I have a real puzzler !  I have a diskette that WHILE inserted into
> >either df0: or df1: or df2: (I have 3 3.5" drives) causes my A1000, running
> >1.2 released S/W to forget all known paths.

> Ok, let me guess, it's coming to me, ah, ah, the name of this disk is "C"!
> Am I right? For lots of fun, try naming one "LIBS" or "DEVS", or better
> yet name it "DF1" and put it into DF0.

I keep all of my fonts (quite a collection by now)  on various disks
named fonts.  FONTS: is still assigned to sys:fonts (actually in
vd0: but I don't think it matters.)  When I want a font that isn't in
sys:fonts, I just stick the correct disk in any drive and  I can use it
immediately without having to muck around with assigns or anything.  As
far as I can tell, I can use a font in either sys:fonts or the disk
named fonts.  (but I'm not sure about that one)  It's quite handy,
especially given most programs' inability to deal with more than about
20 fonts at once.  (Dpaint springs to mind.)  When I take the disk back
out, FONTS: is still correctly assigned to sys:fonts.

> --Chuck McManis
> uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@sun.com
> These opinions are my own and no one elses, but you knew that didn't you.

Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP