[comp.sys.amiga] Editor w/ a Decent Undo?

schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (01/28/88)

Does anyone know of an editor with decent undo capabilities?  By decent
I mean rivaling the Unix vi editor.  With vi, I can delete a whole slew
of text, write out my buffer, then undo my delete.  I've used Uedit and
like it, but the only undo I've found is for the simple keypad deletes.
If I delete using the cut-and-paste menu functions, I can't undo it.
Needless to say, I don't want to have to use Z or anything resembling vi
on the Amiga...
-mike schwager
-- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
	University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (01/29/88)

In article <7200035@uiucdcsm>, schwager@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Does anyone know of an editor with decent undo capabilities?  By decent
> I mean rivaling the Unix vi editor.  With vi, I can delete a whole slew
> of text, write out my buffer, then undo my delete.  I've used Uedit and
> like it, but the only undo I've found is for the simple keypad deletes.
> If I delete using the cut-and-paste menu functions, I can't undo it.

You can if you do it right.  If you use the menu 'cut hilite', it saves
it to a buffer, then cuts it.  you can then make alterations, changes,
anything that doesn't require another copied hilited region, and then
put the cut hilited region back.  It's not exactly an 'oops' type undo,
which will undo whatever your last change was, but if you make a cut with
the purpose in mind of eventually putting it back, you can do it.

You can also do it with the inverted region, giving you two 'separate
but equal' copy/cut/paste systems.  (you can use them at the same time,
since they use different buffers.)

> Needless to say, I don't want to have to use Z or anything resembling vi
> on the Amiga...
Awww, why not?   B-)

> -mike schwager
> -- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
> 	University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science

Disclaimer:  I don't know how old your version of Uedit is, but it has
undergone quite a facelift in the last year or so, so this may not apply
to your version, and naturally, is not gauranteed to apply to any.

-----
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) (02/09/88)

AEdit, a commercial program that sells for $35, has an UNDO which is
substantiall *better* than vi.  (It is multi-level, just like the Apollo
editor's UNDO, if you've ever had the pleasure of using that).  That means
that you can not only `woops' your last command, you can get the one before
that, too.  And before that, until you reach the limits of the change-buffer
(300 lines for AEdit).

AEdit also has global regular-expression search-and-replace (though with
rather strange regular expressions, based on AmigaDOS rather than Un*x).
These two features make it *useable* as far as I'm concerned.  It was the
only such editor I've found on the Amiga, period.

(It also has a `real-Amiga' interface, the ability to edit binary files,
word-wrap, and simple paragraph reformatting, if you care about that sort of
thing.)

My only conection with it is as a satified customer.  ADDR:
DRM Software * 1329 Arthur Ave * Las Vegas, NV 89101
--
                                                         --Brian.
(Brian T. Schellenberger)				 ...!mcnc!rti!sas!bts

DISCLAIMER:  Whereas Brian Schellenberger (hereinafter "the party of the first