[comp.sys.amiga] MacWorld Expo Report

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/02/88)

Please note carefully:  THIS IS NOT AN ANTI-MAC FLAME!

We wonder about the reasons software and hardware prices are high?  In
an article from comp.sys.mac, rock@sun.UUCP writes about MacWorld Expo:

-The attendants were dressed up like space folk from the TV series "V".
-There was a videotaped 9 minute tour by Leonard Nimoy
-a slick young card shark right out of "Guys and Dolls".
-a guy and gal doing a song and dance take-off of "Entertainment Tonight"
-they gave out top hats
-holding drawings for lobster dinner for two, Federal Expressed in from
   Legal Seafood of Boston.
-a drawing for a LazerJet printer
-a drawing from Apple.
-a laser light show on the ceiling.

Somehow, I think a little less expensive glitz might help a bit...

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/04/88)

>We wonder about the reasons software and hardware prices are high?  In
>an article from comp.sys.mac, rock@sun.UUCP writes about MacWorld Expo:

>-The attendants were dressed up like space folk from the TV series "V".
>-There was a videotaped 9 minute tour by Leonard Nimoy
>-a slick young card shark right out of "Guys and Dolls".
>-a guy and gal doing a song and dance take-off of "Entertainment Tonight"
>-they gave out top hats
>-holding drawings for lobster dinner for two, Federal Expressed in from
>   Legal Seafood of Boston.
>-a drawing for a LazerJet printer
>-a drawing from Apple.
>-a laser light show on the ceiling.

>Somehow, I think a little less expensive glitz might help a bit...

Mike, you've never been to either NCC, Comdex, or the ABA Convention, have
you? This stuff is low key compared to most conferences.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (02/06/88)

["I have a dog. I named him 'Stay'. It was a lotta fun training him:
   Here Stay! Here Stay!"]

In article <646@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>Please note carefully:  THIS IS NOT AN ANTI-MAC FLAME!
>
>We wonder about the reasons software and hardware prices are high?  In
>an article from comp.sys.mac, rock@sun.UUCP writes about MacWorld Expo:
>
>-The attendants were dressed up like space folk from the TV series "V".
>-There was a videotaped 9 minute tour by Leonard Nimoy
>-a slick young card shark right out of "Guys and Dolls".
>-a guy and gal doing a song and dance take-off of "Entertainment Tonight"
>-a laser light show on the ceiling.
>
>Somehow, I think a little less expensive glitz might help a bit...
>
>--
>Michael J. Farren

During the MakWorld Expo I saw a rather amusing news story on KRON. They
were talking about using computers for music, and covered a large MacBash
which had groups, and glitz coming out of the serial-wazoo. The purpose?
To introduce a new >>> Wiz-Bang-Change-The-Furture-As-We-Know-It-Electronic-
Miricle <<<: A MIDI interface!!

Gee, I wonder what they'd do if they introduce Automatic-Tint-Contol.

--
				   *** mike (Mr. Bug) smithwick ***
"the only thing wrong with reality, it that it takes too much time"

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K. Shull) (02/09/88)

In article <4464@ames.arpa> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>In article <646@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>>Please note carefully:  THIS IS NOT AN ANTI-MAC FLAME!
>>We wonder about the reasons software and hardware prices are high?  In
>>an article from comp.sys.mac, rock@sun.UUCP writes about MacWorld Expo:
>>...lots of examples from the MacWorld Expo...
>>Somehow, I think a little less expensive glitz might help a bit...
>>Michael J. Farren
>During the MakWorld Expo I saw a rather amusing news story on KRON. They
>were talking about using computers for music, and covered a large MacBash
>which had groups, and glitz coming out of the serial-wazoo. The purpose?
>To introduce a new >>> Wiz-Bang-Change-The-Furture-As-We-Know-It-Electronic-
>Miricle <<<: A MIDI interface!!
>				   *** mike (Mr. Bug) smithwick ***

I wonder what the people that have been using MIDI on the Mac for years
thought about this great new invention.
Seriously, have you noticed that most companies promote their new products
like they were the greatest/most important/most revolutionary invention
in the past two centuries?
Doesn't matter whether it's a new piece of computer equipment or a new
variety of hand soap, there's still plenty of hype. The computer business
is about the same as all the rest, no worse, no better.
The only difference I can see between the Mac world and the rest of the
computer business is a smaller percentage of blue suits.
By the way, I agree completely with the comment about increased costs. It's
one of the major reasons why MS-DOS clone makers can make their equipment
so cheaply, while major companies spend a fortune trying to compete with
each other's advertising.
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network