[comp.sys.amiga] What are some good bulletin boards??

dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) (02/04/88)

I'm hunting for a good bulletin board.  Here's what I'd like to find:

1)  A bulletin board where I can get answers to programming questions on Amiga.
2)  A bulletin board with a wealth of PD software.
3)  A bulletin board that supports more than one user at a time.  (I hate having
    to call 15 times to get through).

I have spend some time on AMIC.  They have a *lot* of PD files, and support
multiple users at a time, but I am not sure if I could find many people
who could help me out when I'm in search of an answer to a programming
question.

I have heard PeopleLink mentioned on the Net quite a few times, but I know
nothing at all about it.

I'd really like to hear from all you heavy-hitting programmers out there
(Matt, Leo, Chuck, etc.), to find out what bulletin boards you guys use.

If I get enough replies, I will post results, as I'm sure everyone out
there would be interested.

~	"...Life in the fast lane,			~
~	    everyday, all the time,			~
~	    Life in the fast lane,			~
~	    Surely makes you loose your mind..."	~
~							~
~		Life in the Fast Lane by The Eagles	~

* David Geary, Boeing Aerospace Co., Seattle, WA 	  *
* (206)773-5249.  --I disclaim everything I've ever said--*

In article <1655@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
>I'm hunting for a good bulletin board.  Here's what I'd like to find:
>1)  A bulletin board where I can get answers to programming questions on Amiga.
>2)  A bulletin board with a wealth of PD software.
>3)  A bulletin board that supports more than one user at a time.
>	(I hate having to call 15 times to get through).

Well, bulletin boards have this problem, which is the number of people they
can profitably draw on. Basically, when you find somewhere that is busy
you tend to stay there rather than look around. The best place for Amiga
questions and answers is definitely BIX. Unfortunately, that is expensive
too. They don't have a whole bunch of PD software though, (although that
might change now that uploading time is free, except for tymenet charges).

>I have heard PeopleLink mentioned on the Net quite a few times, but I know
>nothing at all about it.

PeopleLink, Genie, and Compuserve, are all pay per hour conference systems.
I haven't used them so I don't know how they stack up. (I don't get enough
sleep as it is :-()

--Chuck McManis

nkhan@polyslo.UUCP (Randy Casey) (02/05/88)

In article <1655@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:

>I'm hunting for a good bulletin board.  Here's what I'd like to find:
>
>1)  A bulletin board where I can get answers to programming questions on Amiga.
>2)  A bulletin board with a wealth of PD software.
>3)  A bulletin board that supports more than one user at a time.  (I hate having
>    to call 15 times to get through).

I think you are on the best 'bulletin board' there is for the Amiga right now.
1.  This is the best source I have found for getting answers for any programing
questions I run into.  Plus you get to see what problems other Amiga programers
are having and get the answers from people in the know (e.g. Leo, Bryce, and
all the great people at CATS) THANKS GUYS!
2.  Unless you go to a pay service this is one of the most up to date sources
for PD software.
3.  I am not sure about your node but the one that I am on here at Poly has a
25 line rotery so the wait to get on is non-existant.  I wonder how many people
are here on the Net?  Somewhere there must be more than one user on here at a
time. :-)

>* David Geary, Boeing Aerospace Co., Seattle, WA 	  *

     Randy

--
   ihnp4!psivax!csun  \                 | Randy Casey (Club Disk Librarian)
                       >!polyslo!nkhan  | Centeral Coast Amiga Network
   ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdsu/                 | P.O. Box 1613
                    nkhan@polyslo.UUCP  | San Luis Obispo, Ca. 93406

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (02/06/88)

In my humble opinion, the best are (in this order):
Technical advice: BIX and USENET
PD programs: People/Link, GEnie and USENET

If you have access to BIX & People/Link you have all you need, since
everything else that doesn't originate there will eventually find its
way there.  They also keep mondo archives (BIX for discussion and
PLINK for files) unlike USENET or your small BBSs.

The hard-core Amigan also gets all the Amiga magazines, and is on a
first-name basis with his/her local dealer (where s/he picks up
magazines, copies of fish disks, and gives the dealer the latest new
wizzbang demos).

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I don't know such stuff.  I just do eyes."  -- from 'Blade Runner'

In article <1655@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
>I'd really like to hear from all you heavy-hitting programmers out there
>(Matt, Leo, Chuck, etc.), to find out what bulletin boards you guys use.

	Heavy-hitting programmer?  Me?  I'm just a dippy hacker with a
fashion sense that's only 400 years out of date.

	I use The WELL (Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link) for most of my Net
access.  It also has a very large Amiga conference, and a respectable
software library.  The main disadvantage is that the conferencing software
is PicoSpan, which sucks gerbils through steel conduit.  However, if you ask
nice, they'll give you a shell account.  It runs on a VAX-11/750 and runs
4.3 BSD UNIX.  (415)-332-6106.  They also have Tymnet access, but I have no
idea how it works.

	I also occasionally call a little system in Redondo Beach called
PeopleNet (no relation to PeopleLink).  (213)-374-7404 (I think).  They run
sort-of-reasonable conferencing software, which allows direct access to the
Net.  They're running Xenix on some ?86 thing.

	I also have an account on PeopleLink, but I haven't called it in
eons.  There is a nice user community there, but the TTY drivers on PLink
are awful.  One nice feature is the multi-user chat program.  If you have a
copy of ACO, you can do all sorts of cute things with it.  I think they're
also cooking up a multi-player game based on this facility.  You can get to
PLink through Telenet or Tymnet.  More information can be had by calling
(800)-826-8855 (data) or (800)-524-0100 (voice).

	The WELL costs $8/month + $3/hr (Tymnet access costs extra).  PLink
is $4.95/hour at 1200 baud, off-peak hours (includes Telenet/Tymnet fees).
PeopleNet is free.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

Dave@daami.van-bc.UUCP (Dave Allen) (02/10/88)

>In article <1655@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
>>I'm hunting for a good bulletin board.  Here's what I'd like to find:
>>)  A bulletin board where I can get answers to programming questions on
>>    Amiga.
>>2)  A bulletin board with a wealth of PD software.
>>3)  A bulletin board that supports more than one user at a time.
>>	(I hate having to call 15 times to get through).

>From: cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis)
>
>Well, bulletin boards have this problem, which is the number of people they
>can profitably draw on. Basically, when you find somewhere that is busy
>you tend to stay there rather than look around. (Bix and Tymnet
>removed...)

Ok, how about a commercial message? Well here goes and you can hit the
N key if you can't take it. Ready.....?

1) MIND LINK has many good programmers prepared to answer questions.

2) MIND LINK has a 100 MEG plus area to download (or upload) PD
Software.

3) MIND LINK has 8 lines and has over 300 users. Although it was set
up for all computers the AMIGA crowd from our user group has dominated
the system since it's inception in January of 87.

4) MIND LINK was set up to be profitable but only based on what it
could reasonably charge. Does $12 CDN ($10 US) per year sound like a
lot? Check and see what the long distance charges are to Vancouver BC
CANADA. I would love to know what they are so drop me a note.

The number is (604) 533-2312. Log in as GUEST and type APPLY.
Validation takes a week. Passwords are case sensitive.

-BTW Leo's working on something that will BLOW YOUR MIND!
 (I talked to the boss ;^)

+ Dave Allen - President of PANORAMA -   Pacific Northwest Amiga Association  +
+  WEDGE enquiries well received -              Write: 9651 Alexandra Rd.     +
+         //       - Phone: (604) 270-0064      Richmond, B.C. Canada V6X 1C6 +
+        //                  or: Dave Allen UUCP: dave@daami.van-bc.UUCP      +
+     \\//  2000?      or: {ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!daami!dave +