[comp.sys.amiga] VT100 R2.8 sent to the moderators

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (02/02/88)

I have just sent VT100 R2.8 to the moderators.  R2.9 is already in the
works!  High on the list of new features is support of external transfer
programs.  I have not yet decided how I intend to do this but am leaning
toward a simple "suspend/restore" mechanism rather than elaborate use of
pipes and/or I/O redirection, primarily in order to accomodate as many
external programs as possible and not require them to be rewritten.  If
you have any strong feelings one way or the other, please let me know.
Additionally, as I will no longer need to incorporate new protocols I
can more easily add new features while keeping VT100 < 75K so send me
your favorite feature request!

I'll post more news about new features as it becomes available and I'll be
contacting those of you whose feature requests I said I'd consider for
2.9.
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (02/05/88)

In article <21770@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) writes:
>I have just sent VT100 R2.8 to the moderators.  R2.9 is already in the
>works!  High on the list of new features is support of external transfer
>programs.  I have not yet decided how I intend to do this but am leaning
>toward a simple "suspend/restore" mechanism rather than elaborate use of
>pipes and/or I/O redirection, primarily in order to accomodate as many
>external programs as possible and not require them to be rewritten.

Be careful about how you do your "Suspend."  Some people have modems which
drop the carrier signal when the DTR is disabled.

	--Mike
--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!msl5864

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (02/09/88)

Just so y'all'd know...there is a bug in how Manx defines ConsoleDevice
in functions.h.  I don't recall how I fixed it or how it was originally
defined in the include file but it was *wrong*.  I'll post the resolution
as soon as I can get home and check the include file.  The error will most
likely show up as a "multiply defined symbol" error when you try to compile
vt100.c and init.c.

Just wanted to let you know.
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (02/10/88)

In article <22240@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> I said that I'd let y'all know
how I changed the Manx definition of ConsoleDevice.  Well, here it is.
Manx defines it as:
    long					ConsoleDevice();
Since it is *not* a function, I simply commented the line out of my
functions.h and then define it in init.c...vt100.c references it.

If you use Manx 3.4 and you wanna compile this version of vt100, the
easiest approach is to do it the way I did (even though it may not be
*right*, it works).