[comp.sys.amiga] 68030 and 68040 specs

ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) (02/04/88)

In article <30785R38@PSUVM>, R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
> I bet alot of you out there want to know about the new 68030 and 68040s,
> so here is what I have dug up:
 (Line eater at work)
> As for the 68040, well I have no 'official' word, except that it is a
> 'BIG' jump from the '30.  We're talking maybe 30MHz or more possibly!
> That would get some time intensive programs done fast (like RAY TRACING!).
>        ________                         |-R38@PSUVM.PSU.EDU---------------|
>     / /  ____  \                        | MARC RIFKIN                     |

In PC-Week several weeks ago Spencer Katt reported some interesting
rumors about work going on at Apple with prototypes of the '040. According
to this source, the chip will include full on-chip emulation of the Intel
'286 instruction set as one sub-mode. He reckons that given timely
marketing of a MAC-II (MAC-III?) based on this chip, with PC-DOS
capability on-chip, Apple could really kick some big blue a.. I'm
inclined to agree!

In article <1432@sugar.UUCP>, ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) writes:
> In PC-Week several weeks ago Spencer Katt reported some interesting
> rumors about work going on at Apple with prototypes of the '040. According
> to this source, the chip will include full on-chip emulation of the Intel
> '286 instruction set as one sub-mode. He reckons that given timely
> marketing of a MAC-II (MAC-III?) based on this chip, with PC-DOS
> capability on-chip, Apple could really kick some big blue a.. I'm
> inclined to agree!

I hope that they really emulate the virtual-8086 mode of the 80386, instead
of 80286 protected mode. The 80286 is a dead-end, really. There is still
no protected mode DOS (OS/2 notwithstanding), but much is being made of the
virtual-8086 mode.

I'll bet the first commercial 68040 product will be a CSA board, though.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

In article <1432@sugar.UUCP> ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) writes:
> In PC-Week several weeks ago Spencer Katt reported some interesting
> rumors about work going on at Apple with prototypes of the '040. According
> to this source, the chip will include full on-chip emulation of the Intel
> '286 instruction set as one sub-mode.

I consider this proof positive that Spencer Katt has a serious drug problem.
Consider the amount of money that NEC is spending on the lawsuit with Intel
over the V series, and they even had a license to make 8086s ! If Mot ever
gave one of their chips the attributes of an Intel chip two things would
happen :
	1) Intel would slap a lawsuit on them so fast the the sonic boom
	   would be heard in Japan.
	2) Every loyal 680x0 programmer in the WORLD would send a letter
	   bomb to Motorola, causing the largest explosion since the bombing
	   of Hiroshima.

> He reckons that given timely marketing of a MAC-II (MAC-III?) based on
> this chip, with PC-DOS capability on-chip, Apple could really kick some
> big blue a.. I'm inclined to agree!

The Intel series chips have a mindset that is *completely* different from
the Motorola chips. And even if it was '286 compatible that is only ONE
TENTH the battle, you also have to emulate all of the silly peripherals
that are inside an IBM PC/AT. I can't understand why, a) Spencer would
even bother reporting a rumor like this since it is obviously untrue, and
b) why anyone would get anything more than a good laugh out of reading
it. I agree with Scott that if such a chip could be produced in quantity
by this summer, and designed in and machines ramped up, and the lawsuits
won, and the software issues taken care of, this thing would give all the
clone makers and IBM fits. I also think that if John Sculley could part
the pacific ocean and create a land route to Japan, that would also give
the clone makers and IBM fits. Finally, the chances of either event
happening are about the same. :-)

--Chuck McManis

In article <1432@sugar.UUCP> ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) writes:
>In PC-Week several weeks ago Spencer Katt reported some interesting
>rumors about work going on at Apple with prototypes of the '040. According
>to this source, the chip will include full on-chip emulation of the Intel
>'286 instruction set as one sub-mode.  [ ... ]

	I think Spencer's source was pulling his leg in a big way.  I don't
buy this for even a second.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/07/88)

In article <1432@sugar.UUCP> ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) writes:
>In PC-Week several weeks ago Spencer Katt reported some interesting
>rumors about work going on at Apple with prototypes of the '040.

One thing you can be pretty sure of, based on past history: if PC-Week
reports it, there's a 70% chance it's not true.  If Spencer Katt reports
it, there's a 98% chance it's not true.  The most abysmal excuse for
a rumor column I've ever seen, with the possible exception of the guys
in MacWeek and MacToday.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

ritchie@hpldola.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) (02/08/88)

>In article <1432@sugar.UUCP> ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) writes:
>> In PC-Week several weeks ago Spencer Katt reported some interesting
>> rumors about work going on at Apple with prototypes of the '040. According
>> to this source, the chip will include full on-chip emulation of the Intel
>> '286 instruction set as one sub-mode.
>
>I consider this proof positive that Spencer Katt has a serious drug problem.
>Consider the amount of money that NEC is spending on the lawsuit with Intel
>over the V series, and they even had a license to make 8086s !

  Don't be too quick here... I saw a Motorola ad in one of the trade rags
(probably Electronics or EE Times) recently that made the claim of MS-DOS
compatibility for one of their upcomimg processors. I guess this means that
we have to nuke both Pheonix and Santa Clara now :->

				Dave Ritchie
				hp-lsd!ritchie

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (02/10/88)

in article <1432@sugar.UUCP>, ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) says:

> In PC-Week several weeks ago Spencer Katt reported some interesting
> rumors about work going on at Apple with prototypes of the '040. According
> to this source, the chip will include full on-chip emulation of the Intel
> '286 instruction set as one sub-mode. He reckons that given timely
> marketing of a MAC-II (MAC-III?) based on this chip, with PC-DOS
> capability on-chip, Apple could really kick some big blue a.. I'm
> inclined to agree!

Yuck!  Barf-a-bunga!

I can't possibly imagine Motorola tainting a perfectly good, modeless
architecture like the 680x0 with something as foolish as '286 emulation in
hardware.  Even as a joke.  Seesh, even the PC[lone] people these days admit
that the '286 is brain damaged.  I mean, if they want to emulate it in
software, fine, I can choose not to run that stuff.  Or pay a few extra
dollars and buy a real '286 and hand it in somewhere.  MOS had a chip with
a similar concept a few years back, called the 7502.  I won't go into any
details, but there's a good reason you've never heard of it.

Fortunately, considering the relative merits of PC Week and the Motorola
chip designers, I'm sure that's total bunk.

On another tack, I'm sure Motorola doesn't relish an Intel microcode suit,
even if Intel's a smaller company (guess they're smaller than NEC too, for
that matter).
--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

Dave Ritchie writes:

>  Don't be too quick here... I saw a Motorola ad in one of the trade rags
>(probably Electronics or EE Times) recently that made the claim of MS-DOS
>compatibility for one of their upcomimg processors. I guess this means that
>we have to nuke both Pheonix and Santa Clara now :->
>
>				hp-lsd!ritchie

Does your boss know about your sitename ?)

Uhh, yeah.  I saw that ad too, and my cohorts and I had a good
chuckle.  It had a number you could call for more info.  Since
we were more than a little curious about this new "improvement"
I called.  I was switched around to 7 different people, none
of whom knew what I was talking about.  Somebody finally
assumed command and proclaimed "we'll call you back."

They didn't.

--
               "It's too dark to put my legs in my munitions"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (02/12/88)

C'mon guys, get real.  The ads say SOFTWARE emulation of the '286.  The '030
and '040 are that fast.  Or is it that the '286 is that slow...?