[comp.sys.amiga] Help! There's this little copper...

childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) (02/02/88)

Help!  I was booting up my Amiga this morning (1000), and just when I was
about to put in my Workbench floppy I noticed this little piece of copper
that was wedged, albeit loosly, in the metal slider floppy access way.
This little widget is about one cm square and a mm high.  It looks like
a little box with no top or bottom.  Just like below.
  _____
 /|__/|
/___/ /
|___|/

Is there anything inside a 3.5" drive that looks like this that may have
fallen out?

Thanks

David Childs  Cadnetix Corp.  (303) 444-8075 childs@cadnetix.UUCP

P.S.  I wanted to thank everyone for telling me about MacView.  I got the same
      response from about 10 people.

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (02/06/88)

["I was arrested yesterday for Speed reading. . .]

In article <2000@cadnetix.UUCP> childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) writes:
>Help!  I was booting up my Amiga this morning (1000), and just when I was
>about to put in my Workbench floppy I noticed this little piece of copper
                                                                    ^^^^^^
Gee, Isn't that the COPPER chip?? Those sneaky little guys, always trying
get out when the have half a chance. That's why I always keep a disk in
DF0:. Before I did that I caught my blitter halfway across the room heading
for the pantry one morning (I think he was after the Rice Krispies).

>that was wedged, albeit loosly, in the metal slider floppy access way.
>This little widget is about one cm square and a mm high.  It looks like
>a little box with no top or bottom.
>  _____
>Thanks
>
>David Childs  Cadnetix Corp.  (303) 444-8075 childs@cadnetix.UUCP

That's just one of those little things that the RKM doesn't tell you about.
(You'd want to wonder around too if you were cooped up in a stuffly styrene
box all you're life, eh?)

Another is that the pixels need cleaning every 6 months or so. A soft
toothbrush and a diluted mix of vineger and baking soda works pretty well.
Although "PixelWipe" made by CleanTronics Inc. or "point-clean" from
APC Enterprises are good products. There are ads for them in the latest
issue of OverByte magazine.

--
				   *** mike (Mr. Bug) smithwick ***
"the only thing wrong with reality, it that it takes too much time"

In article <4467@ames.arpa> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) writes:

>In article <2000@cadnetix.UUCP> childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) writes:
>>Help!  I was booting up my Amiga this morning (1000), and just when I was
>>about to put in my Workbench floppy I noticed this little piece of copper
>                                                                    ^^^^^^
>Gee, Isn't that the COPPER chip?? Those sneaky little guys, always trying
>get out when the have half a chance. That's why I always keep a disk in
>DF0:. Before I did that I caught my blitter halfway across the room heading
>for the pantry one morning (I think he was after the Rice Krispies).
>
>That's just one of those little things that the RKM doesn't tell you about.
>(You'd want to wonder around too if you were cooped up in a stuffly styrene
>box all you're life, eh?)
>
>Another is that the pixels need cleaning every 6 months or so. A soft
>toothbrush and a diluted mix of vineger and baking soda works pretty well.
>Although "PixelWipe" made by CleanTronics Inc. or "point-clean" from
>APC Enterprises are good products. There are ads for them in the latest
>issue of OverByte magazine.
>--

This man knows whereof he speaks.

Also, many programs use "sticky bits". Well, this is just great, but
after your Amiga has run a couple of programs that use lots of sticky
bits, it tends to get clogged up, and can no longer run at 7.16 Mhz.

You will notice this by the disk drive making strange noises.

Luckily however, there is a cure.

	1) Remove the plastic cover.
	2) Remove the emi sheild
	3) Locate and identify the 68000
	4) remove it, noting carefully the orientation of the chip.
	5) Place the "sticky" 68000 in the diskwasher; use the
	   crystal setting, ans use only half the regular
	   amount of cascade.
	6) Make sure you use Jet-Dry (tm) to prevent unsightly
	   spotting, as this will result in irregularly illuminated
	   pixels.
	7) Replace the 68000 back in it's socket, makeing sure you
	   put it in BACKWARDS from what it was before.
	   (After all, it got all gummed up last time, try it this
	    way and see what happens.

What ?  You think I'm gonna sign this ?

abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (Neal) (02/10/88)

In article <2451@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> In article <4467@ames.arpa> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) writes:

       lots of stuff 'bout running machines hacked

> This man knows whereof he speaks.
>
> Also, many programs use "sticky bits". Well, this is just great, but
> after your Amiga has run a couple of programs that use lots of sticky
> bits, it tends to get clogged up, and can no longer run at 7.16 Mhz.
       more very wise advice on lubing those sticky bits!

       Fortunately, we pioneered a simpler method
       in the good ole PDP-11 days. Many times the poor
       RSTS/E machines would simply run out of bits
       altogether, stopping many a SPCWAR and annoying
       many a user. Usually we had to shut the machine
       down and let all the bits run down and collect
       in the bit pan underneath. I'm sure the same
       is true for any Amiga. Also, a little Wynn's
       keeps those bits from lodging in high memory,
       I can tell you! (or motion lotion, for those
       of you more intimate with Amy)

    23 Skiddoo!         ihnp4!killer!academ!uhnix1!
					     uunet!nuchat!orion
                    -or-   ihnp4!killer!rigel

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (02/10/88)

In article <640@nuchat.UUCP>, abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (Neal) writes:
> In article ... richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> > In article ... mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) writes:

I should have expected this would be a smithwickology.

> > Also, many programs use "sticky bits". Well, this is just great, but
> > after your Amiga has run a couple of programs that use lots of sticky
> > bits, it tends to get clogged up, and can no longer run at 7.16 Mhz.

>        in the bit pan underneath. I'm sure the same
>        is true for any Amiga. Also, a little Wynn's
>        keeps those bits from lodging in high memory,

If you use lubricant in your Amiga you have to be sure to clean it out
every now and then. I've found that using a little dawn and rinsing
it under the tap takes care of the worst accumulations, but sometimes
you need to use Soft Scrub and a bit of steel wool.

Also, jeweller's rouge does wonders for accumulations of bits on your
diskettes. A little elbow-grease and there won't be a bit left...
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

In article <646@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <640@nuchat.UUCP>, abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (Neal) writes:
>> In article ... richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>> > In article ... mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>
>> > Also, many programs use "sticky bits". Well, this is just great, but
>> > after your Amiga has run a couple of programs that use lots of sticky
>> > bits, it tends to get clogged up, and can no longer run at 7.16 Mhz.
>
>>        in the bit pan underneath. I'm sure the same
>>        is true for any Amiga. Also, a little Wynn's
>>        keeps those bits from lodging in high memory,
>
>If you use lubricant in your Amiga you have to be sure to clean it out
>every now and then. I've found that using a little dawn and rinsing
>it under the tap takes care of the worst accumulations, but sometimes
>you need to use Soft Scrub and a bit of steel wool.

No. This is much too harsh. Try fabric softener. Makes your disks smell
clean and fresh, too.

--
                "He tried to do his best, but he could not"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (02/13/88)

$
$I should have expected this would be a smithwickology.
$
$> > Also, many programs use "sticky bits". Well, this is just great, but
$> > after your Amiga has run a couple of programs that use lots of sticky
$> > bits, it tends to get clogged up, and can no longer run at 7.16 Mhz.
$
$>        in the bit pan underneath. I'm sure the same
$>        is true for any Amiga. Also, a little Wynn's
$>        keeps those bits from lodging in high memory,

	I personally like my Teflon(R) coated memory, nary a sticky bit to be
had, and boy are they slick.  Why just the other day I was chasing a GURU
around for over 2 hours before I finally got a good firm two handed grip
on him, and he still nearly squirmed out of my grasp.  By the way there is
a down side to these things, just try to get any useful data to adhere is
a real pain...  almost as bad as loosing refresh...  but thats another story.

Hans