[comp.sys.amiga] WordPerfect compatibility

rgale@pnet01.cts.com (Ryan Gale) (02/12/88)

papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

> WordPerfect for the IBM PC is already at version 4.2, which is not downward
> compatible with the earlier version.

Yes and no.  The 4.2 format cannot be read by 4.1, but 4.2 allows a file to be
saved in 4.1 format.

Meanwhile, I ordered 5.0 yesterday...
---
  Ryan Gale
    UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!rgale
    ARPA: crash!pnet01!rgale@nosc.mil
    INET: rgale@pnet01.CTS.COM

fink@mist.cs.orst.edu (Paul Fink) (02/13/88)

I'm not sure why all this PC and amiga stuff is being posted here.
As for the Macintosh world, Word Perfect is the most worthless
Program for the Mac. It belongs to the MS-DOS world and that is
where it should say!
Paul Fink

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (02/15/88)

In article <2651@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, fink@mist.cs.orst.edu (Paul Fink) writes:
> I'm not sure why all this PC and amiga stuff is being posted here.
> As for the Macintosh world, Word Perfect is the most worthless
> Program for the Mac. It belongs to the MS-DOS world and that is
> where it should say!
> Paul Fink

You have obviously not been one of the priviledged to use Word Perfect on the
Mac.  It is one of the better programs that I have seen on the Mac.  You should
look at it; my guess would be that this is what Word Perfect for the Windows/
Presentation Manager environment will look like.  I can only hope.

Michael Niehaus
UUCP: ..!{uunet,pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas

fink@mist.cs.orst.edu (Paul Fink) (02/15/88)

In article <2117@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>In article <2651@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, fink@mist.cs.orst.edu (Paul Fink) writes:
>> Word Perfect is the most worthless Program for the Mac. It belongs to
>>the MS-DOS world and that is where it should say!
>
>You have obviously not been one of the priviledged to use Word Perfect on the
>Mac.  It is one of the better programs that I have seen on the Mac.  You should
>look at it; my guess would be that this is what Word Perfect for the Windows/
>Presentation Manager environment will look like.  I can only hope.

I have seen Word Perfect. One of the groups here bought it. We tried it out
and returned it. We have used Macs since the first days and expect programs
to follow the basic user interface guide lines.

You obviously do not know what a Macintosh program should look like!
If this is what you want in the  Windows/Presentation Manager environment
I suggest that you return to the IBM world and don't screw things up for
the rest of us.

Paul Fink

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (02/15/88)

in article <2663@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, fink@mist.cs.orst.edu (Paul Fink) says:

> In article <2117@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>>In article <2651@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, fink@mist.cs.orst.edu (Paul Fink) writes:
>>> Word Perfect is the most worthless Program for the Mac. It belongs to
>>>the MS-DOS world and that is where it should say!
>>
>>You have obviously not been one of the priviledged to use Word Perfect on the
>>Mac.  It is one of the better programs that I have seen on the Mac.  You should
>>look at it; my guess would be that this is what Word Perfect for the Windows/
>>Presentation Manager environment will look like.  I can only hope.
>>
> I have seen Word Perfect. One of the groups here bought it. We tried it out
> and returned it. We have used Macs since the first days and expect programs
> to follow the basic user interface guide lines.

I've seem Word Perfect for the Mac, and for the Amiga as well.  The only thing
I can think of that would make it the word processor of choice is if you're
in an environment where you need to move word processing documents between
operating systems.  In that case, you'll end up with compatible files, which
means you can leave formatting codes in place.  Since the college where I teach
is largely MS-DOS and totally Word Perfect, a number of people are using the
Amiga version on their machines at home.

However (and this is a big however), the Mac people (a small but growing number)
are not using it.  We use either MacWrite, MS Word, or FullWrite.  There
seems to be no one who even considers Word Perfect.  It just isn't Mac-ish
enough to make us want to switch.  No one wants a non-WYSIWG word processor
(which is why few use MS Word and most are stuck on MacWrite or FullWrite).

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (02/15/88)

in article <2651@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, fink@mist.cs.orst.edu (Paul Fink) says:

> I'm not sure why all this PC and amiga stuff is being posted here.
> As for the Macintosh world, Word Perfect is the most worthless
> Program for the Mac. It belongs to the MS-DOS world and that is
> where it should stay!
> Paul Fink

I don't entirely agree. We have a large number of users using
WordPerfect on PCs, making it hard to convince people to adopt
Macintoshes. If a file compatible wordprocessor exists for the
Mac, it will make it much easier to convince departments to buy
Macs and still be able to pass files back and forth with other
departments. I have already recommended to a department here
currently considering a Mac purchase to buy WordPerfect, strictly
to overcome that enigma "its not PC compatible." Since then I've
had a chance to try out WordPerfect for the Mac. The version I have
is betaware and is really slow and buggy. It has a long way to go
before I'd recommend it again...

--
Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia