[comp.sys.amiga] Music-X information request

davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) (02/15/88)

[Anyone NOT receiving this line, please contact the net aministration.]

Hi there!  I've seen ads for Music-X lately, and I was curious if somone
in-the-know would enlighten me on how it stacks up to, say, soundscape.
I need a nice visually-oriented sequencer and a patch editor/librarian
for the ESQ-1 & the MT-32.  It sounds like Music-X might be just the
ticket.  Is it actually shipping yet?  Any info would be appreciated.
--
 Wayne Davison					      ...amdahl!drivax!davison
       Osauha, zgp'd fgdmaq dg zalgza dmjh.  Jd jh baqc ypjpkgqeudjba.

In article <3065@drivax.UUCP> davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) writes:
> Hi there!  I've seen ads for Music-X lately, and I was curious if somone
> in-the-know would enlighten me on how it stacks up to, say, soundscape.

David Joiner, the author of Music-X has stated on BIX that he isn't finished
writing it. (Now why they are advertising it I don't know). So you can't
really tell how it stacks up to anything. What he had running at AmiExpo
looked nice, I can only guess that he will continue the trend and come
out with a decent package. My personal feeling on such things, is that
when something is *done* and the author has moved on to other projects
it takes something like 3-4 months to hit every dealer, since he isn't
done with it yet I would guess it will be another 6-8 months before we
see it. ALL SPECULATION AND OPINION, no claim is made to representing
true facts beyond the initial sentence.

On a different note, I went to Uniforum (where Atari had a booth and
was showing some word processor for business, but I didn't see anyone
stopping there.) Informix was giving away these nifty shoulder bags if
you sat through a presentation on their new Mac II spreadsheet called
Wings. (Also still vapor). The funny thing was after seeing the presentation
I thought to myself, "Self, where have I seen this before?" and the
answer was of course "in MaxiPlan!". To be fair, there were some differences
(mostly in the word processing area) but the spread sheet capabilities
were the same. I asked the marketing weenie if they had ever seen Maxiplan
on an Amiga, and after explaining what an Amiga was he admitted he hadn't.
(But I got the distinct impression that he would soon.) It also occured
to me that it would be possible to do something 10 times better with the
Amiga ASSUMING you could get one piece of co-operation from various vendors,
specifically, they supported the clip board with IFF images *only* (they
could do full clipboard support if they wanted, but only images are really
required). Then you could take your MaxiPlan graph, or your Deluxe Paint
sketch and drop it into your Shakespeare or ProWrite document. Of course
you have a couple of Meg of memory so you can run all of these at the same
time no? The combination becomes very, very powerful. Anyway, I got excited
over the possibilities.

--Chuck McManis