[comp.sys.amiga] Need some help

ugblaszy@sunybcs (Dave Blaszyk) (01/30/88)

I need some help and some advice.  I have finally broken down and plucked my
money down on a AMiga2000.  You can't drive it but, the graphics are great!

I need some help,  I recently purchased PageSetter, and I am having problems
using it.   It seems as though my brother decided to see what the machine could
do not knowing what was going on.  He tried to use PageSetter and somehow
screwed it UP!  I get an ERROR code 121, looking it up in the book I see it
has something to do with the object module.  I then tried to use DiskDoctor
on it, No help.   Any body got a solution????

I a different vein, I am currently in the market for a NICE monitor for the
Amiga2000 :  The following is my wish list :

	o 	Big Screen ( Maybe 19or20 in.)
	o	Would like a monitor that minimizes the high-res flicker
	o	Would like to also use it as a Second TV for my room.
	o	Will be used for MOSTLY animation nnd videos making.
	o	Must be less than $700, I am not buying it, I have worked
		out a deal for a local company that I will write a program
		for them, and they will buy me the monitor, at the Company's
		expense, of course.
	o	Must be able to be "easily" connected, I can get a hold of
		some cabling equipment, and Rs232 ends to make my own cables,
		I can make my own cables at work if need be, as long as I
	o	could get the pin-outs to connect the monitor to my Amiga.

Please send me e-mail, if anyone is interested in the replies I get, I will
summarize.

Dave Blaszyk,  SUNY/Buffalo  Local Chapter Secretary of ACM
UUCP:	  ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugblaszy
Internet: ugblaszy@cs.Buffalo.EDU	BITNET: ugblaszy@sunybcs.BITNET

In article <8176@sunybcs.UUCP> ugblaszy@sunybcs.UUCP (Dave Blaszyk) writes:

>I a different vein, I am currently in the market for a NICE monitor for the
>Amiga2000 :  The following is my wish list :
>
>	o 	Big Screen ( Maybe 19or20 in.)
>	o	Would like a monitor that minimizes the high-res flicker
>	o	Would like to also use it as a Second TV for my room.
>	o	Will be used for MOSTLY animation nnd videos making.
>	o	Must be less than $700, I am not buying it, I have worked
>		out a deal for a local company that I will write a program
>		for them, and they will buy me the monitor, at the Company's
>		expense, of course.
>	o	Must be able to be "easily" connected, I can get a hold of
>		some cabling equipment, and Rs232 ends to make my own cables,
>		I can make my own cables at work if need be, as long as I
>	o	could get the pin-outs to connect the monitor to my Amiga.

Well, you have two choices. 1) Sony makes some consumer grade TV's with
ANALOG (thats the keyword) RGB inputs, right up to 47".

I think the current 19 or 25" one is an XBR, or has that been superseeded
again.

Choice 2) is to get a de-interlacer, and run the signal into a non-NTSC
monitor which you can get in any size, but aint cheap.

You *might* get something from column 1) for $700, but not column 2)

--
      "...and before too long I might, see those flashing red lights"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) (02/01/88)

In article <2343@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <8176@sunybcs.UUCP> ugblaszy@sunybcs.UUCP (Dave Blaszyk) writes:
>>
>>I a different vein, I am currently in the market for a NICE monitor for the
>Choice 2) is to get a de-interlacer, and run the signal into a non-NTSC

I've seen several notices over the last year that Toshiba had/would have
a commercial TV with de-interlacing.  This might be nice, if it turns
out to have analog rgb inputs.  But I still haven't seen anything in
stores here in Honolulu.  Do any of you know a model number or how
well it does, or is likely to, work with an Amiga (1000)?
	Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

In article <1498@uhccux.UUCP> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:

>I've seen several notices over the last year that Toshiba had/would have
>a commercial TV with de-interlacing.  This might be nice, if it turns
>out to have analog rgb inputs.  But I still haven't seen anything in
>stores here in Honolulu.  Do any of you know a model number or how
>well it does, or is likely to, work with an Amiga (1000)?
>	Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

Yes, I saw the ads for these about the time I got my Amiga, and spent a morning
on the phone, calling various Toshiba offices trying to find somebody that
could answer the above question.

Bad news.

1) It only "de-interlaces" the composite video in.

2) It does have RGB, but doesnt de-interlace it.

3) Which makes sense, becaue its digital (TTL, you know IBM style) RGB

Oh well.

Please Mr. Sony ?  Please please please ?

--
             "... Look out momma, 'cause I'm coming home tonight."

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/07/88)

In article <1498@uhccux.UUCP> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>I've seen several notices over the last year that Toshiba had/would have
>a commercial TV with de-interlacing.

My understanding is that the Toshiba does NOT do true de-interlacing, in
the sense of taking two screens of video and putting them to the tube as
one, non-interlaced screen.  Instead, it does interpolation of the two
scan lines to fill in the space between the lines.  This is a
significantly easier task, and no help at all with the interlace problem
of the Amiga.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (02/17/88)

In article <652@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>My understanding is that the Toshiba does NOT do true de-interlacing, in
>the sense of taking two screens of video and putting them to the tube as
>one, non-interlaced screen.  Instead, it does interpolation of the two
>scan lines to fill in the space between the lines.  This is a
>significantly easier task, and no help at all with the interlace problem
>of the Amiga.

Interpolation between lines is an EASIER task? I would have to disagree.
It seems to me that, in order to do this interpolation, the video must
be de-interlaced first, due to the time-sequential nature of the video
fields. Remember that with an interlaced image adjacent lines are separated
in time by ~1/60 sec. To provide the interpolation, a system must store at
least a whole field, then interpolate and display while the next field arrives.
This is a more complex scheme than simple de-interlacing as the number of scan
lines will double to ~960 (displayed).  I could design a de-interlacer quite
easily, based on work I have already done, but this interpolation scheme
presents some unique problems, not the least of which is a simple memory
circuit which can keep up at the required dot rate.

On the other hand, you may be suggesting that adjacent lines from the SAME
field are used to interpolate the in-between values. This is simpler, but
suffers from some limitations, namely that entities one line high will still
flicker, as the information will only be present every other field. Of
course, you could still turn down the brightness, contrast and room lighting
to make this flicker less noticeable...		:-)

					Stephen (non-fiction) King
--
    * Defence & Civil Institute *    {decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!king
    * of Environmental Medicine *          or    uwbeaver!utcsri!dciem!king