[comp.sys.amiga] PC Pursuit

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Richard L. Carreiro) (02/13/88)

I have seen many referenes to "PC Pursuitable" BBS's.  What exactly
does that mean, and what are the ad/disadvantages of it.
Sorry if this is an elementary question.

*  Richard L. Carreiro     GO CELTS!       * "He gets it out deep and        *
*  rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                   * HAVLICEK STEALS IT!!" - J. Most *

kudla@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (02/15/88)

In article <2932@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Richard L. Carreiro) writes:
>I have seen many referenes to "PC Pursuitable" BBS's.  What exactly
>does that mean, and what are the ad/disadvantages of it.

PC Pursuit is a service run by GTE Telenet (last I heard) that basically
charges you $25 a month (last I heard) to call a whole bunch of different
area codes by modem as much as you want after 1800 M-F and 24 hours
on weekends. It warrants a look if you're spending more than about $30
a month on LD calling BBS's, and to boot you get a discount on People
Link. And the connections are generally pretty good.

   ------------Robert J. Kudla - Pseudo-Freshman Extraordinaire-------------
   Screw the disclaimers- flame at will!!                Itt@RPITSMTS.BITNET
   And you may ask yourself- How do I work this?      FU7Z%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu
             (I sure as hell do...)                       kudla@pawl.rpi.edu

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) (02/15/88)

Ok, how do we get it?
(PC Pursuit, that is)
-------
       ________                         |-R38@PSUVM.PSU.EDU---------------|
    / /  ____  \                        | MARC RIFKIN                     |
   / /  /_/_/  /                        | 132 BEAVER HALL UNIVERSITY PARK |
  / /  ____   /                         | 16802 (814)862-6892             |
 / /  /  \ \  \ A E G I S   OF VERTEX   +=================================+
/ /__/   / /__/ ---===---        INC.
                                       "NICE NIGHT FOR AN EVENING, HUH?"

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (02/17/88)

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
>Ok, how do we get it?
>(PC Pursuit, that is)
>-------

Call 1-800-TELENET and when you get past the recordings of people telling
you to wait for a real person and finally get to a real person (if you
can tell, that is) say "I wanna sign up for PC Pursuit."

They'll gladly take your money.  You need plastic money, btw. :)

Harv Laser, Sysop, the People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink ID: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
"The man in the crowd with the multicolored mirrors on his hobnail boots"

rissa@chinet.UUCP (Patricia O Tuama) (02/18/88)

In article <362@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kudla@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>PC Pursuit is a service run by GTE Telenet (last I heard) that basically
>charges you $25 a month (last I heard) to call a whole bunch of different
>area codes by modem as much as you want after 1800 M-F and 24 hours
>on weekends. It warrants a look if you're spending more than about $30
>a month on LD calling BBS's, and to boot you get a discount on People
>Link. And the connections are generally pretty good.

PCPursuit hours are from 6 pm to 7 am weekdays and 24 hours on
weekends and holidays; rates for times other than these run
between $12 and $14 an hour.  They were supposed to have 2400
baud available by the end of last month but this appears to have
been delayed again.  The connections are excellent, better than
calling direct as a matter of fact.

The only real problem with PCP is that there aren't enough lines
available.  It can sometimes take up to an hour to get from your
local Telenet host to the Telenet connection in the city you are
calling.

In addition to the $25 monthly fee there is also a $25 registration
fee, both of which you must charge to a bank credit card.
Telenet's number is 800/835-3638.

			              .
			t r i s h a   o t u a m a
			well, it saves me $200/month