[comp.sys.amiga] Monitors for W.P.

samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) (02/16/88)

I am now using the conventional Amiga monitor (I think its 1080) color.
I find that I do a great deal of word processing, and find that I am
a bit annoyed by the lines seen in each letter I type.  In order to
get "solid" characters I am thinking of buying an inexpensive mono
monitor (Magnivox makes one for about $80.00), and attaching it in a
dual mode to my 1000.  I have been told that his "double attachment"
can be done, and some sort of switching arrangement will allow me
to switch back and forth between color, and mono.  Is that so, and
how can it be riged up?  I cannot go into the expensive of one of
those super color monitors that might do what the mono will.
Appreciate any advice re this.
--
Sam Weissman                   {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!samw
Big Electric Cat                   or  samw@dasys1.UUCP

bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (02/16/88)

In article <2986@dasys1.UUCP> samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) writes:
=-I am now using the conventional Amiga monitor (I think its 1080) color.
=-I find that I do a great deal of word processing, and find that I am
=-a bit annoyed by the lines seen in each letter I type.  In order to
=-get "solid" characters I am thinking of buying an inexpensive mono

	Try using dark characters on a light background--the characters will
appear solid, and hence sharper.  Pick something easy on the eyes.  Black on
light green or amber works for me.  The first thing I ever did an an Amiga was
to change those ugly default colors with preferences.  Boy was the salesman
pissed--he didn't know how to change them back! 8-}
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|___{ihnp4,seismo,...}!ut-sally!mothra.cs.utexas.edu!bryan
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

In article <2986@dasys1.UUCP> samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) writes:
|> I am now using the conventional Amiga monitor (I think its 1080) color.
|> I find that I do a great deal of word processing, and find that I am
|> a bit annoyed by the lines seen in each letter I type.  In order to
|> get "solid" characters I am thinking of buying an inexpensive mono
|> monitor (Magnivox makes one for about $80.00), and attaching it in a
|> dual mode to my 1000.  I have been told that his "double attachment"
|> can be done, and some sort of switching arrangement will allow me
|> to switch back and forth between color, and mono.  Is that so, and
|> how can it be riged up?  I cannot go into the expensive of one of
|> those super color monitors that might do what the mono will.
|> Appreciate any advice re this.

Better yet, pick up Fish disk #79 and look for a program called 'setlace'
in the AsmTools directory, or get disk #8 and pick up the copy by Bob
Pariseau (written in C). The purpose of the code is to put your screen
in 'Interlace' mode, however it does NOT generate a 400 line display
rather is duplicates the same display in both fields. (Some versions of
ShowAnim leave your screen interlaced but this is a bug). This will
eliminate the black lines inside the characters.

--Chuck McManis

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/17/88)

In article <2986@dasys1.UUCP>, samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) writes:
> I am now using the conventional Amiga monitor (I think its 1080) color.
> I find that I do a great deal of word processing, and find that I am
> a bit annoyed by the lines seen in each letter I type.  In order to
> get "solid" characters I am thinking of buying an inexpensive mono
> monitor (Magnivox makes one for about $80.00), and attaching it in a
> dual mode to my 1000.

You might consider a software solution to this problem.  I'm not talking
about something like SetLace, which I think makes the text almost as
disgusting as before.  On my system I use an interlaced Workbench
screen, and set my font to Topaz 11.  I can already hear some people
whining about interlace flicker, *BUT* interlace flicker is greatly
reduced in Topaz 11 compared to Topaz 8.  (Think about it.  Any font
with an even number of pixels will show much more flicker than a font
with an odd number of pixels.   It's a major difference.)  Plus,
carefully chosen colors and, if you like, a $15 Jitter-Rid make flicker
almost unnoticable.  This is my system, and I rarely notice flicker.
A very nice side effect is that I can edit 40 lines of text, rather than
22 or 23.  (Using morerows.)  Of course, if you like squinting and flicker,
you can stick with Topaz 8 and edit about 56 lines!  (using morerows.)

Of course, in case you haven't played around with SetFont, not all
programs will use your font, so it will depend on the word processor you
use.  For instance, Scribble! will use the altered font, WordPerfect
doesn't work right.  Txed ignores the new font, but Uedit uses it.  So
you might have to experiment to see if it's compatible with your
software.  In any case I would highly recommend trying it before parting
with any hard earned cash.

I even keep a modified Topaz font in my FONTS: directory, Topaz 13.
This is simply Topaz 11 with two lines added to the height using the
font editor, FED.  It's useful for when my eyes are getting a little
tired.

> Sam Weissman                   {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!samw

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (02/17/88)

In article <2986@dasys1.UUCP> samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) writes:
>. . . I am thinking of buying an inexpensive mono
>monitor (Magnivox makes one for about $80.00) . . .

I tried one, but it was quite awful.  It was crooked, not evenly focused,
and a sick color.  I returned and bought an Amdek VIDEO-300A instead.  It
is more expensive, but it is much better.  Also, the phosphor is more
persistent, so you get virtually no flicker in interlace (with my eyes
anyway).

>and attaching it in a dual mode to my 1000.  I have been told that his "double
>attachment" can be done, and some sort of switching arrangement will allow me
>to switch back and forth between color, and mono.

Physically, you can just plug both in at the same time.  Electronically, I
don't know.  I'm sure one of the more hardware-inclined types has something
to say about this matter.  I can say that I've done it on a 2000 for a while
with no apparent ill effects.

Ken Chiu

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (02/19/88)

Sam,
You may want to try a PD program called SetLace. It can't compete with a
multiSync monitor, BUT it will make a BIG difference in the quality of the
Text. What it does is put the display into interlace. I ALWAYS use my
machine in Interlace. I get NO flicker, I played with the colors a little
bit until it was gone. My colors are Red, White, Blue & Black!
Makes text 100% better!

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com