[comp.sys.amiga] Expansion Ram

mikeb@tikal.Teltone.COM (Mike Balch) (02/13/88)

 Has any one had any previous experience with a company named "Bare Boards"
in the San Jose area? The reason I ask is because last night on one of the
local BBS's there was an article that stated this company sold 2 meg boards
for the A1000. Nothing special until I noticed their pricing:

  $99  2 Meg bare board kit  with 0K installed
       (add $30 if you want kit assembled)
  $15  Housing for above kit
  $15  Passthrough
  $45  512K worth of ram chips
  $30  Optional clock

  $318 Assembled Kit with 2Meg of ram installed

The thought of assebling a 512K card, with the capability to expand to 2Meg,
for about $175 is quite appealing to me.

 The number for Bare Boards was (408) 629-7838. I tryed calling this morning
to confirm the above but I ended up with a answering machine.

Mike (No Watch) Balch

In article <836@tikal.Teltone.COM> mikeb@tikal.Teltone.COM (Mike Balch) writes:
> Has any one had any previous experience with a company named "Bare Boards"
>in the San Jose area? The reason I ask is because last night on one of the
>local BBS's there was an article that stated this company sold 2 meg boards
>for the A1000. Nothing special until I noticed their pricing:
>
>  $99  2 Meg bare board kit  with 0K installed
>       (add $30 if you want kit assembled)
>  [omitted stuff]
>  $318 Assembled Kit with 2Meg of ram installed
>
>The thought of assebling a 512K card, with the capability to expand to 2Meg,
>for about $175 is quite appealing to me.

An associate of mine bought a 2Meg "Bareboard" at the last Commodore Show LA,
in October 1987. Definitely the price was good.  The board has performed
flawlessly so far. He did not get the pass-through, though each A1000 is
different in handlind 1 or more expansions.  The Bareboard he bough did not
autoconfig. He has to use Addmem.  The board comes with vdk:.

> The number for Bare Boards was (408) 629-7838. I tryed calling this morning
>to confirm the above but I ended up with a answering machine.

I talked to the owner recently at the AmiExpo, and he is now expanding his
business: he now has his boards produced by a third party.

Usual disclaimer applies.

-- Marco

rleyden@pnet02.cts.com (Richard Leyden) (02/14/88)

   >Has anyone had any previous experience with a company named "Bare Boards"

        My experience with them is incomplete but I'm beginning to fear that
it
may be all too indicative of things to come.  I ordered the board three weeks
ago and haven't yet received anything.

        Right now the company has two strikes against it.  I phoned them the
first day after seeing their ad in Robo City News.  The ad claimed "2 Mbyte
Ram
Board, $139".  I was told that the price had gone up to $149.  This is still a
good price but I would think that they could have honored the advertized price
for at least one day. Strike one.  I asked them if they got my money that day
when would they ship the board.  I was told they were "back-ordered by one or
two weeks".  I optimistically thought that this might be true and sent in my
money.(Please don't flood me with offers of bridges you want to sell).  Three
weeks have gone by.  Strike two.

        I'm disturbed to hear that they no longer answer their phone.  The
main
reason that I placed the order despite the clear warnings is that I got
knowledgeable answers to technical questions about their product during two
phone calls.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!rleyden
INET: rleyden@pnet02.cts.com

rleyden@pnet02.cts.com (Richard Leyden) (02/16/88)

>>Has anyone had any previous experience with a company named "Bare Boards"

I replied

>   Right now the company has two strikes against it.  I phoned them the
>first day after seeing their ad in Robo City News.  The ad claimed "2 Mbyte
>Board, $139".  I was told that the price had gone up to $149.  This is still
>good price but I would think that they could have honored the  price
>for at least one day. Strike one.  I asked them ....

>when would they ship the board.  I was told they were "back-ordered by one-
>two weeks".  I optimistically thought that this might be true ...

>   I'm disturbed to hear that they no longer answer their phone.

   Word of my complaints about Bare Boards got back to them and they gave me
a call regarding my order.  They felt I was unfair in my complaining and
offered me a refund, which I declined.  They do not want to do business with
complainers or the impatient.

Regarding my complaints:
   1.They no longer plan to advertise in Robo City News or other "national"
     magazines.  The price increase was due to long lead time.  They will
     use only "word of mouth" advertising.

   2.They will try to send my board out this week.

   3.They are answering their phone, but necessarily must put on the
     answering machine occasionally in order to get work done.

   I regret that I didn't try contact them more directly before suggesting
they weren't answering their phone.  The fact that they tracked me down says
something for their good intentions and perhaps also for the power of
usenet.

        -Rich Leyden

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!rleyden
INET: rleyden@pnet02.cts.com

jheintz@polyslo.UUCP (Jim Heintz) (02/19/88)

I have been using a 2meg board made by Bare Boards for approx. 5mos.
and it has performed beautifully. I am very happy with it, and the support
I have recieved from the company has been great.

/** so long from the land of Sows and Cows  **/

						- Jim