[comp.sys.amiga] problem with Transactor disk

RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET (Rick Pim, The Bill The Cat Memorial Comput...) (02/18/88)

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes anyway:

I got the disk from the first issue of 'Transactor' in yesterday's
mail. I booted Amy and looked it over. Read the 'readme' file,
browsed around, you know the schtick. I decided to run the program
from the 'warrior cycles' article. There are a couple of script files,
I tried executing one.

I got the expected gronk-gronk-gronk, the control program came up,
and then the gronks changed pitch and I got a requestor telling me
that the disk had a read-write error. I hit cancel, it went out to df0:
to find the disk-validator and then *df0:*s gronks changed pitch and it
told me that df0: (my system disk) was corrupt. Aiee!

I rebooted and everything was fine. I tried again and exactly the same
sequence occurred. So I
(a) ran every copy of every virus checking program I own - all clear.
(b) dragged out disksalv.

Running disksalv on the Transactor disk I got no bad block messages,
but got a whole pile of "Resolving link conflict" messages. And it
DIDN'T finish copying - the 'TO' disk wound up full before the disksalv
was complete. I tried it again with a freshly formatted disk and the
same thing happened.

I guess I'll call Transactor today or tomorrow, but do you think it's
(a) me missing something obvious
(b) a bad disk
(c) is it possible other people have seen this ie is it Transactor's
fault?

Thanks.

Think I'll stay in bed                       Rick Pim, Physics Department
Dream all day                                Queen's University, Kingston
World outside bugs me anyway.                rick@qucdnast.bitnet

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (02/19/88)

In article <8802181652.AA06404@jade.berkeley.edu> RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET (Rick Pim, The Bill The Cat Memorial Comput...) writes:

>I got the disk from the first issue of 'Transactor' in yesterday's
>mail. I booted Amy and looked it over. Read the 'readme' file,
>browsed around, you know the schtick. I decided to run the program
>from the 'warrior cycles' article. There are a couple of script files,
>I tried executing one.
>
>I got the expected gronk-gronk-gronk, the control program came up,
>and then the gronks changed pitch and I got a requestor telling me
>that the disk had a read-write error. I hit cancel, it went out to df0:
>to find the disk-validator and then *df0:*s gronks changed pitch and it
>told me that df0: (my system disk) was corrupt. Aiee!
>
>I guess I'll call Transactor today or tomorrow, but do you think it's
>(a) me missing something obvious
>(b) a bad disk
>(c) is it possible other people have seen this ie is it Transactor's
>fault?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Think I'll stay in bed                       Rick Pim, Physics Department

  I have had my disk (and magazine) for about 4 weeks and have no problems
  with the disk. I looked at all the files and fooled with most of the code
  and or examples. My guess - a corrupt disk...

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net