[comp.sys.amiga] Compuserve Upload Policy

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/20/88)

Sorry about crossposting this but this issue keeps coming up and the
original was crossposted as well.  Followups to comp.sys.misc.

In article <3343@killer.UUCP> davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) writes:
>One note:  Do NOT under any circumstance upload it to Compu$pend - I have heard
>that they have this weird idea that they hold the copywrite on ALL material
>that comes from their system, including things which users have uploaded!

Compuserve does not, repeat NOT, have any copyright (or any other) claims
on any material you upload.  The ONLY claim they make is that they have
a copyright on the complete contents of their databases as a unit.  I.E.
you can download any subset of the databases you want, but if you download
everything and set up your own network service, they'll get annoyed at
you.  But for individual files or groups of files, they cannot and will
not make any copyright claim not permitted by the author.  In other words,
if you copyright your software, it is yours and noone can take it away
from you.  Anyone who thinks otherwise does not understand the copyright
laws.  Next time, David, check out the facts before you post something
you "heard".

Since this issue keeps coming up, I plan to get permission to post an
open letter from Neil Shapiro, sysop of Maug on Compuserve, to the
Apple Programmer's and Developer's Assocation that disccuess this rumor.
My statements are unofficial but are based on Neil's official remarks.
I have no association with Compuserve other then I give them too much
money.

>                            --Dave

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant