[comp.sys.amiga] looking for relational database for amiga ...

ansari@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Aali Ansari) (02/16/88)

	presently i have a package called 'superbase Personal';
	since it's limited in power, the manual suggests:
	'superbase Professional'

	however, i asked a dealer here(TO) who claimed that 'superbase Pro*'
	hasn't come out yet!!
	he also, mentioned 'Acquisition' relational database by 'torus'
	which run about $400can.

Questions:
	1) 	does anyone know of any good database packages for Amiga
	2)	what is 'torus' like (say compared with 'dbaseIII')

ideally, i would like a package which lets you interact with 'C';
much like 'EMPRESS/32 relational database' (Rhodnius)

aali

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/17/88)

In article <1988Feb15.192505.1010@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, ansari@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Aali Ansari) writes:
> 	presently i have a package called 'superbase Personal';
> 	since it's limited in power, the manual suggests:
> 	'superbase Professional'

> 	however, i asked a dealer here(TO) who claimed that 'superbase Pro*'
> 	hasn't come out yet!!
> 	he also, mentioned 'Acquisition' relational database by 'torus'
> 	which run about $400can.

Superbase Professional is supposed to be available any time, and at a
reduced price for Superbase Personal users.  I suggest calling
Progressive Peripherals and seeing what they say.  I've received a
couple update notices concerning Superbase Professional, and it looks
terrific.  If you're a registered S. Personal user, I think the price is
$125, whic I think is not bad.  I tossed the notices, though, since I
can't even figure out how to use all of S. Personal! so I can't help
you more than that.  I think there is a deadline, though, (march?) so
you'd better act.

----
You're right, I have nothing to do with PP&S.  Okay, so I bought a
product of theirs, so sue me.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

campbell@cbmvax.UUCP (John Campbell SW) (02/18/88)

know of:

Acquisition   by Taurus-Impex   $299.95
Datamat A-200 by Transtime Technologies  $249.95
dBMan         by VersaSoft               $149.95
Superbase Professional  from Progressive Peripherals    $299.95

Superbase Professional is still not out yet to my knowledge, but is expected
shortly.  dBMan is very dBase like, Aquisition is much more "Intuitionalized".

Obviously there are spinoffs of these, products similiar to these, and
databases which are not relational to choose from as well.  The best approach
is to call the publisher and find out if the package has the specific
features you want, and then try the package out at a dealer to insure that
the program behaves in the manner you expect.

I hope this helps.

John Campbell

I disclaim all the above, but I hold firm to this disclaimer.  I work for
Commodore, but these are my opinions and not theirs.

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (02/18/88)

>presently i have a package called 'superbase Personal';
>since it's limited in power, the manual suggests:
>'superbase Professional'
>
>however, i asked a dealer here(TO) who claimed that 'superbase Pro*'
>hasn't come out yet!!

Not quite correct (maybe).  I just got mail saying that Superbase Professional
is now available for a $125 upgrade from Progressive Peripherals.  I haven't
got it yet (been only waiting a week), so I don't know if this was just their
way of blowing smoke or not.  You can call Progressive Peripherals to find out
about the upgrade and make sure you're on the list.  Their number is
(303) 825-4144.  Have fun...

David Masterson
DMasterson@cup.portal.com

<this space for rent>

jonesjg@xyzzy.UUCP (Greg Jones) (02/20/88)

In article <1988Feb15.192505.1010@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> ansari@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Aali Ansari) writes:
>	presently i have a package called 'superbase Personal';
>	since it's limited in power, the manual suggests:
>	'superbase Professional'
>
>	however, i asked a dealer here(TO) who claimed that 'superbase Pro*'
>	hasn't come out yet!!

      Your dealer is a little behind the times ...
I have Superbase Personal, and about 3 weeks ago I recieved an upgrade offer
from Progressive P. to upgrade to Superbase Professional.  The Cost $125.

It looked like a good deal, I too was a little dissappointed with Superbase
Personal.  It was great as far as the user interface was, but didn't offer
any real way to program it.  The Professional version has a programming
language, (something like BASIC), and lots of other goodies.  I can't say
more all the info is at home, and I haven't recieved the product yet ???

I think I have seen adds for Superbase Professional in the latest Amiga
World, perhaps If you showed them to the dealer ????

--
				Greg Jones
				Data General, RTP, NC