[comp.sys.amiga] Memory Chip Prices - Higher!

clark@ssc-vax.UUCP (Roger Clark Swann) (02/20/88)

*** line eater food ***

If you have been investigating memory add-ons as I have been
recently, you will no dought have notticed that the quoted prices
for memory chips and populated boards have jumped very much higher
in the past few weeks. The chip price has doubled in some cases.
A friend called Pioneer Computing in Salt Lake today regarding
memory expansion for the Amiga and was told that Pioneer has halted
all memory (RAM) sales because the prices are so volatile right now.

So, does anyone know the real story as to why? I have not heard
anything in the media about added import restrictions and the like
taking effect in the past few weeks. The only thing I remember is
the big thing 9 months ago about dumping memory chips on the US
market. I thought that this was all patched up and everyone was
reasonably happy once again. I have been asking everyone I know if
they heard/saw any reasons for the price increases and so far no one
has had an answer... Again, what's going on?

Roger		uucp: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Richard L. Carreiro) (02/21/88)

Well, considering that most (if not all) mem chips are made overseas,
the enormous recent plunge in the dollar will most certainly raise import,
hence chip, prices.

*  Richard L. Carreiro     GO CELTS!       * "He gets it out deep and        *
*  rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                   * HAVLICEK STEALS IT!!" - J. Most *

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (02/22/88)

In article <1688@ssc-vax.UUCP> clark@ssc-vax.UUCP (Roger Clark Swann) writes:

>If you have been investigating memory add-ons as I have been
>recently, you will no dought have notticed that the quoted prices
>for memory chips and populated boards have jumped very much higher
>in the past few weeks. The chip price has doubled in some cases.
>
>So, does anyone know the real story as to why? I have not heard
>anything in the media about added import restrictions and the like
>taking effect in the past few weeks.
>
>Roger		uucp: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark

Quite simple.
We whine and moan about memory prices and dumping.
We complain to the Japaneese that their prices are too low.
They politely comply with our requests and stop this activity.
They even cut back on production to reduce the glut of cheap ram.
Time goes by, and the existing surplus is depleted.
All of the sudden, no ram avialable.
Supply and demand kicks in.
Prices skyrocket on the few items you can find.
Japan gets almost as much money for alot less product.

Similar things have happened with the price of Japaneese cars.

Don'tcha just love Apple Pie Protectionist Polititions ?

Hedley